Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Want some Brit Friends in Auckland =0)

Want some Brit Friends in Auckland =0)

Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:11 am
Just Joined

MsTwist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want some Brit Friends in Auckland =0)

Hi everyone, I did put up and intro in the introduction page but thought i'd re-do it here i'm female, 28 from Mansfield (but also lived in Yorkshire) I married a Kiwi (I immigrated first and met him here) and have 2 young boys (6 months and 2 years) I work full time in IT central Auckland, but live in Te Atatu (west Auckland)

While people are friendly here i've had dificulty forming close friendships, those I do have are inherited from my husband and as lovely as they all are i miss having my own set of firends, the close friendships I have had were with some Scottish gals that returned home again!

SO i'm happy to give anyone thinking of coming here any advice etc. But would also love to chat with some people in the same boat as me as well!! i.e. how to deal with homesickness this far in, those that are contemplating maybe going back, but more so, I'd love to chat to any other ex-pat British gals it doesn't matter if you are married or single, kids or no kids would just be nice to have some British friends over here! might make the homesickness go away a bit!
Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of
Default Re: Want some Brit Friends in Auckland =0)

Originally Posted by MsTwist
Hi everyone, I did put up and intro in the introduction page but thought i'd re-do it here i'm female, 28 from Mansfield (but also lived in Yorkshire) I married a Kiwi (I immigrated first and met him here) and have 2 young boys (6 months and 2 years) I work full time in IT central Auckland, but live in Te Atatu (west Auckland)

While people are friendly here i've had dificulty forming close friendships, those I do have are inherited from my husband and as lovely as they all are i miss having my own set of firends, the close friendships I have had were with some Scottish gals that returned home again!

SO i'm happy to give anyone thinking of coming here any advice etc. But would also love to chat with some people in the same boat as me as well!! i.e. how to deal with homesickness this far in, those that are contemplating maybe going back, but more so, I'd love to chat to any other ex-pat British gals it doesn't matter if you are married or single, kids or no kids would just be nice to have some British friends over here! might make the homesickness go away a bit!
Hey MsTwist! I'm not in Auckland, i'm down in Hamilton - but I'm also from Mansfield (or not too far away anyway) then I moved to Sheffield to live with the other half, and we moved here almost 2 yrs ago. We have a daughter who is 2 tomorrow (wednesday). We made a few good friends but they have all also moved on, mainly to australia (surprise surprise), still have a couple of good friends here who i've met through this forum, it's always great to get to know new people though.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:13 am
Just Joined

MsTwist is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Keeeny - thanks for the reply!

That's so cool you are from near home! My bubba turns 2 on Friday :0) so very close in age! I had quite a few friends in Sheffield and I studied in Huddersfield (lived there for 4 years) I quite like Hamilton, we go there maybe once or twice a year as hubby has some close friends there. Where in Mansfield did you live? I lived in the wonderful Ladybrook most of my life :0) My dad is from Warsop.

I went to Brunts high school, I think it's gone a weee bit down hill though as my youngest sister who is 16 travels to Newark to go to school...

Are you doing anything nice for you Daughters birthday? I don't think we are doing anything too big, he's getting a heap of Thomas the tank engine stuff (the current obsession) and maybe we'll take him to the park or something on the actual day :0)

Anyway would love to stay in touch! would be so nice to chat esp with someone from near where i'm from! :0)
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:47 am
Just Joined

kiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ms Twist

We are also "Westies", my husband and I are both Brits living in New Lynn. We've been here in NZ for 8 years ( in for the long haul ) but have only just joined the forum.

I have dealt to my homesickness by eaating quite a few curly wurlys and double deckers purchased from our local New World ;o)
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

Hey Keeeny - thanks for the reply!

That's so cool you are from near home! My bubba turns 2 on Friday :0) so very close in age! I had quite a few friends in Sheffield and I studied in Huddersfield (lived there for 4 years) I quite like Hamilton, we go there maybe once or twice a year as hubby has some close friends there. Where in Mansfield did you live? I lived in the wonderful Ladybrook most of my life :0) My dad is from Warsop.

I went to Brunts high school, I think it's gone a weee bit down hill though as my youngest sister who is 16 travels to Newark to go to school...

Are you doing anything nice for you Daughters birthday? I don't think we are doing anything too big, he's getting a heap of Thomas the tank engine stuff (the current obsession) and maybe we'll take him to the park or something on the actual day :0)

Anyway would love to stay in touch! would be so nice to chat esp with someone from near where i'm from! :0)

How bizarre - I am from Warsop!! haha small world. (I went to Meden). My mum & dad still live in Warsop. I didn't live near the centre of Sheffield, we were in North Anston, which if you don't know it, is kinda nearer to Worksop & Rotherham than it is to Sheffield. But only maybe 15 mins drive up the m1 to Meadowhall - I miss that place
Happy birthday to your lil boy for Friday my daughter had a good day, we went to playgroup in the morning (as per any usual wednesday) then after her nap & lunch we went to Lollipops playland with my friend & her 16month daughter. she absolutley loved opening all her presents.
Yeh me too would love to stay in touch - do you use facebook? If you do then pm me your full name & i'll add you. It's easier to stay in touch on there as I don't come on here all that much really.
Look forward to speaking again
Old Jun 10th 2011, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

Hiya, We are in Huia, if you fancy getting together for a coffee just drop us a line. We have been here for 2.5 years and would love to meet up.

Debs
Old Jun 17th 2011, 2:57 am
Just Joined

gemma manning is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey ya,
I would love to meet up with you for a play date and coffee, im 23 and i have a 2 year old son that would love a little friend too.
Im from england and we moved out here about a year ago now and dont really know many people.
Im in the glendene area which isnt that far from te atatu so could meet in henderson or newlynn.
Pm me if ur interested
kind regards
Gemma

Last edited by gemma manning; Jun 17th 2011 at 2:59 am.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

melanieanne63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Want some Brit Friends in Auckland =0)

hey there
moving out early next year and would be great to have some contacts before the. originally from Liverpool but currently living in sunny hull lol.... how is it out there'd generally meeting people, that is my biggest worry. I am 38 and coming over alone and despite loving an adventure this move is scaring me silly haha x
Melanie
Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Melloney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ms Twist

I am in Whitford/Howick/Botany area but I travel into Auckland city a few times a week, if you fancy meeting for lunch or a small vino let me know.

Mell
Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ms Twist

I should have said that I only arrived 8 weeks ago...lol
My partner and I have been to NZ 6/7 times then decided to do the move.
My brother has been here for 9 years now.
My partner is also in I.T.

Mell
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 6:29 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

And another vote for Mansfield!! We're up in Whangaparaoa but want to know.........is anybody left in Mansfield??!?!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sirplug
And another vote for Mansfield!! We're up in Whangaparaoa but want to know.........is anybody left in Mansfield??!?!
lol. hello fellow mansfieldonian. what area are you from?
Old Jun 25th 2011, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Kelly33 is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say hi. I live in Glendene. Would be happy to meet up with you for a coffee sometime. I'm married with a 10 year old and have been in NZ for !7 months. Feel free to msg me anytime x
Old Jun 26th 2011, 1:11 am
Just Joined

ronanz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there. I'm about to move to Auckland on 8 July from Sydney (spent last 11 years in Sydney but I'm Scottish)... would love to meet up with some Brits as I know no-one in the entire country (except my hubbie that is). I am 41 but no kids. Would love to catch up for a coffee or wine or two... I am Scottsh after all! Will be based in Newmarket for first month then need to find somewhere to live.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Hey

Just let me know when u land, I am from Ayrshire in Scotland and my partner originally from Balloch, we met a few people from Troon a few weeks ago and I have a friend from Ayrshire thats heading over in 3 weeks I think.....Its a bit mad that you come all this way and meet loads of Scots......lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.