Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

want to move to NZ but where do I start

want to move to NZ but where do I start

Old Jul 5th 2014, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

bluebutterfly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default want to move to NZ but where do I start

Hi, this is my first post so it may take time to get used to it.
Basically me and my family want to relocate to NZ and a little unsure of what to do next. Here is a bit of background, I am 29 and recently been granted New Zealand Citizenship by Decent and have visited NZ twice. My partner 29, has never been and neither have my two children 5 and 9. Neither of our jobs are on the job shortage list (senior teaching assistant, stack air emissions technician) but we managed to score 130 on the points indicator. I have a rough idea of the type of visa needed for my partner and children. As my partners job is quite rare we have narrowed our choices to either Auckland and surrounding area or Christchurch area as they seem to be the only places with offices offering his work. My partner is in the process of contacting companies to find out more info regarding jobs etc.
The main query is what next? Do I apply for visas first, put my house up for sale, apply for jobs here or wait until we are there? How do I convert our qualifications into the NZ equivalent? What is the next step?
I am really up for selling up everything and just getting on a plane, traveling for a while etc but my partner needs a more stable plan.
PS, my children would also be happy to have an adventure too x
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:54 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: want to move to NZ but where do I start

As you have been granted Citizenship I believe you can apply for your partner under the Family stream application.

Family Stream

only thing I can see on that is that the work visa seems to be a 2yr temporarily one so not sure what happens after that?
Sure someone with first hand experience of this will pop along and clarify it
Old Jul 6th 2014, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for the advise, I have downloaded the application and once we are over in NZ I'm sure there will be a way to extend it when we decide to settle permanently. Would I be right to think that the best visa for my children would be a student visa? I can't really see another option, thanks
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:08 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm married to a New Zealander. I have a family category visa which gives me permanent residence. It was for two years initially, then I applied and got my permanent pr.

As you've got NZ citizenship does your other half and children not get Permanent Residency in the family category ? After five years and certain criteria have been met your other half and children can apply for NZ citizenship.

I would advise that you don't sell your house until you are really sure that you want to live in NZ just in case things don't work out. However, it's your choice.

We came to NZ in 2011 and we didn't have jobs. We very nearly came unstuck but luckily my husband got a job offer just as we were planning to return to the UK after very nearly making a very expensive mistake.

Adventures need funding.......

(For me it wasn't an adventure, I was just humouring my kiwi husband)

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 6th 2014 at 9:20 am. Reason: funding
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your reply, I will have a look at that visa too. I do agree that selling the house seems rash but we have looked into the rental value and it would only just about cover the mortgage, plus we would sell it even if we stayed in the UK.
In terms of jobs, has anyone had much luck applying from the UK or know any good websites to try as I haven't come up with much so far. My dad (an optimistic New Zealander living in the UK) seems to think that you can simply walk up to people and ask for work and they give you a job, bless him.
In all honesty I would be happy to do most jobs whilst finding our feet.
Does anyone know about qualification conversions, is that something I could do from the UK?
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:02 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

what job do you do?
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:03 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Trademe.co.nz

Seek.co.nz

nzgovt.jobs.nz

Are good websites for vacancies.

As for converting your certificates, um, dunno. A prospective employer might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Lots of people have got job offers prior to emigrating to NZ. Some people get a job with their existing company and relocate.

If you start looking and applying now you will get used to the turn downs. Sorry to sound harsh.

I've read a couple of examples on here of people who have sent their cv to every company in NZ that is in their industry.

There's a poster called, 'BarnsleyMat' who sent his cv to 1500 nz employers as he was looking for work in that particular industry. Another poster sent her husband's cv to loads of companies in NZ relevant to her husband's industry and got a couple of replies. One of the two was interested, the rest is history.

It's not easy. Although some people may have had a smoother ride when seeking employment in NZ.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:11 pm

ahhh reread first post and one is teacher, teaching positions from what I have seen have become sparse, even those that have gained their qualifications over here are finding it hard to get f/t work. Not impossible you just need to be flexible on where you go. as for transferring qualifications maybe this website will help. Home | The New Zealand Teachers Council
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

senior teaching assistant,
There is no equivalent here. TA's in schools are mostly sourced from parents within the school itself.
I realise over there it is considered a trained occupation. It is not the same for here. You will probably volunteer at the local school first and hope for some hours to come up.

stack air emissions technician
With this, it depends on his qualification and the level of his qualifications.
You might try contacting IANZ to see if they can guide you with this.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies, I now realise why I have been unsuccessful in finding TA jobs though. I do hold a teaching qualification but I don't have the relevant experience unfortunately.
I will get my other half to look into IANZ too, I think that he might stand a better chance of getting a job first.
We will remain optimistic, I have had no end of knock backs in the UK whilst job hunting but something good always comes along eventually. x
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

As Bevs says, there are no general classroom/Teaching assistants here.

There are Teacher Aides (same thing, different name!) who work with specific children with special needs in mainstream classrooms and their hours are usually based on the ORS funding a child receives, although some schools do pool their hours together and the TAs work with various children across a school. Many are parents who are taken on after volunteering, but some get jobs if they have specific experience or qualifications (such as ESOL). Pay is very low and can vary based on funding.

If I was you, when you arrive make sure you get a police check, put together a one page CV and take it around the local schools face to face and ask about volunteer work and fingers crossed it will lead to paid work, but bear in mind there are a lot of parents after these sort of jobs and it is highly competitive. Any sort of qualifications or experience around children with Special Needs you can get will help. Teacher aide certificate distance learning with Open Polytechnic
Old Jul 9th 2014, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bluebutterfly - contact the New Zealand Teaching Council and get registered. Even if you haven't taught you can get provisional registration with your qualification/degree and with experience in NZ apply for full registration. Your experience as a TA will count. Be pro-active and I reckon you will be glad you did. It does cost to register but it could be worth it.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 6:23 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, your best bet would be to look at the Family categories for your partner and children. You don't need a visa as you have a NZ passport but they will!
The points indicator is for the Skilled Migrant Category only- it isn't really relevant for a NZ passport holder.

Family categories
P
Old Jul 12th 2014, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I'm married to a New Zealander. I have a family category visa which gives me permanent residence. It was for two years initially, then I applied and got my permanent pr.

As you've got NZ citizenship does your other half and children not get Permanent Residency in the family category ? After five years and certain criteria have been met your other half and children can apply for NZ citizenship.

I would advise that you don't sell your house until you are really sure that you want to live in NZ just in case things don't work out. However, it's your choice.

We came to NZ in 2011 and we didn't have jobs. We very nearly came unstuck but luckily my husband got a job offer just as we were planning to return to the UK after very nearly making a very expensive mistake.

Adventures need funding.......

(For me it wasn't an adventure, I was just humouring my kiwi husband)
What was involved in getting family category visa?
Old Jul 13th 2014, 1:51 am

I applied for a visa under the family category. We had to prove that our relationship was genuine and stable. The details of how to do that are on NZIS website.