British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wanganui..what a..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wanganui-what-663954/)

Genesis Apr 14th 2010 8:07 am

Wanganui..what a.....

wonderful place!! Went there for the 1st time on my OE in 1990 and thought what a dump..but I only managed to find the ugly industrial bit. Today after 5 years here we ventured to Wangavegas and the kids cried when we said we had to go!! Bloody awesome place. Sooooooooooooooo much to do. Wonderful aged monuments and a high street to die for. Lovely lake, great beach..I would not hesitate to move there. Really loved it. Spoke to a lovely lady at a cafe who said pretty much all the gang patch problems were pretty much bollocks. Sure saw some very low decile housing but all towns have that. Loved the river..really interesting place. We intend returning son and staying over night at a holiday park. Well come on there are worse things I could have a passion for. I must say it did make Palmy look REALLY dull. Bollocks, I'm living in the wrong town.

Stoof Apr 14th 2010 8:21 am

Re: Wanganui..what a.....

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8494829)
Bollocks, I'm living in the wrong town.

NO!!!! Surely not… am most shocked Mr G… always been able to rely on you being happy with your NZ lot! ;)

Browner_ Apr 14th 2010 8:56 am

Genesis u really are on something this time.
Even I dont think Wanganui is better than Palmerston North.

I have to say that Wanganui seems to have 2 totally different sides, a leafy pleasant part and theatre culture etc, and then the 'rest'. But the rest seriously is the pits, maybe you didnt go there, lucky you!

Could you seriously live in Wanganui for more than 2 days? I couldnt.

Genesis Apr 14th 2010 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 8494928)

I have to say that Wanganui seems to have 2 totally different sides, a leafy pleasant part and theatre culture etc, and then the 'rest'. But the rest seriously is the pits, maybe you didnt go there, lucky you!

Know what you mean B. There is a very very low decile part of W, we drove thru much of it. But there is the same stuff in Palmy. Found an awesome kids park just by the beach. Sure, I could live in the nice part of W for 2 years..or more..just loved the place. Then I am quirky and always go for stuff off the norm. Hence the reason I am in NZ. Weird, weird place.

love30stm Apr 14th 2010 11:11 am

Good idea! Why don't you stop talking utter crap and live your life! I don't think it's so bad here but then again I have some awesome friends who just live life and they have never been on Brit expats so think up ;) oh and I have a great kiwi friend also

love30stm Apr 14th 2010 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 8494928)

Why don't you seriously shut the ***** up!

ukkiwi Apr 14th 2010 11:20 am

Definatelty 2 sides the place, my family live in Wanganui - my Aunt recently had a stroke and got taken into hospital - her house was then somewhat coincidently ramsacked.

Last time i was there the cops pulled me over citing that they didnt recognise me and wanted to make sure it wasnt a new gang moving into town. (yeah with the wife and kids in the car). It was hilarious.

pricklykina Apr 14th 2010 11:30 am

Maybe you ended up in Mt Maunganui?

Or was it wellingtonanui

I always get excited about palmy when I've been in Wangas

dannigirl Apr 14th 2010 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8494829)
wonderful place!! Went there for the 1st time on my OE in 1990 and thought what a dump..but I only managed to find the ugly industrial bit. Today after 5 years here we ventured to Wangavegas and the kids cried when we said we had to go!! Bloody awesome place. Sooooooooooooooo much to do. Wonderful aged monuments and a high street to die for. Lovely lake, great beach..I would not hesitate to move there. Really loved it. Spoke to a lovely lady at a cafe who said pretty much all the gang patch problems were pretty much bollocks. Sure saw some very low decile housing but all towns have that. Loved the river..really interesting place. We intend returning son and staying over night at a holiday park. Well come on there are worse things I could have a passion for. I must say it did make Palmy look REALLY dull. Bollocks, I'm living in the wrong town.

No Genesis, you are living in the wrong island...he he :sneaky:

whitesand Apr 14th 2010 12:28 pm

Genesis, you've discovered life outside Palmy! You'll be telling me that Auckland has something going for it next.

Charismatic Apr 14th 2010 12:54 pm

I’m with Genesis on this one, some of the city is just lovely. People seem friendly even when you start conversations with perfect strangers after having a few too many glasses of wine and start to talk about how Christian Dior signalled the demise of the British Empire (True story btw). By comparison the nightlife at the moment in Palmy looks rubbish, in fact PN itself really lacks much interesting now for me. The most interesting part of my weekend is going to buy fruit & veg from the chinky markets.

If you can make it W(h?)anganui you can make it anywhere! :thumbsup:

AH30 Apr 14th 2010 2:54 pm

Perhaps the main difference between the UK and NZ is that in the UK the poorer, lower decile area are concentrated in certain areas such as Liverpool, Glasgow and the North-East, while central London and south east England are more affluent because you need to be able to afford to live there. NZ doesn't have this kind of distinction, the wealthy and the poor live side by side, or at least in the same towns and cities.

ukkiwi Apr 14th 2010 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by AH30 (Post 8495716)
Perhaps the main difference between the UK and NZ is that in the UK the poorer, lower decile area are concentrated in certain areas such as Liverpool, Glasgow and the North-East, while central London and south east England are more affluent because you need to be able to afford to live there. NZ doesn't have this kind of distinction, the wealthy and the poor live side by side, or at least in the same towns and cities.

Not really as Liverpool, Glasgow and the North East all have affluent areas and there are very expensive suburbs of central London where there are council flats.

simonsi Apr 14th 2010 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by AH30 (Post 8495716)

That isn't quite how I remember the UK and I'm still here. In general, I find generalisations don't work.

;)

Genesis Apr 14th 2010 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by dannigirl (Post 8495299)
No Genesis, you are living in the wrong island...he he :sneaky:

Yeah there is that too..in the perfect world I indeed would be on the mainland..ho hum..its a life of compromise aye?