wanganui

Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

slimchic will become famous soon enoughslimchic will become famous soon enough
Default wanganui

can anyone enlighten me as to what wanganui is like. if you have lived there/visited or heard otherwise. any bad areas to avoid? best areas to be in etc etc i found out a lot from the website but its much better to hear first hand from someone who lives there.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:42 pm
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: wanganui

See the other threads
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:18 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by slimchic
can anyone enlighten me as to what wanganui is like. if you have lived there/visited or heard otherwise. any bad areas to avoid? best areas to be in etc etc i found out a lot from the website but its much better to hear first hand from someone who lives there.
Hi when you do arrive I will gladly meet up with you and show you around, only been here just over 3 months so still new to me

Bev x
Old Oct 30th 2007, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

slimchic will become famous soon enoughslimchic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by love30stm
Hi when you do arrive I will gladly meet up with you and show you around, only been here just over 3 months so still new to me

Bev x
thanks bev that would be fab
Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:12 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

What brings you to Wanganui? Are you coming here with work? We chose to live here, though OH actually works in Palmerston North. We chose here because it felt more *us* - also had the beaches and scenery that we felt was more NZ. Having now lived here for 4 years, I would certainly say that there is a lot to be said for both Wanganui and Palmerston North, and any NZ town or city for that matter.

I live in St John's Hill, so of course I think it is the best area of Wanganui. Certainly it has an excellent Primary school and Kindi - cant speak highly enough about both, though I have friends whose children go to schools all over Wanganui and they also love the schools.

St Johns Hill is probably one of the more expensive areas to live, though not always the case. But I would say its a nice area, within walking distance of Virginia Lake which is lovely for walks.

Wanganui as a whole is a quiet place and a great place for children. Not to say that there isnt something for everyone, there is, but it all rather depends what you are looking for. We love the beach, going down the River Road, exploring the local scenery. Here you are within a couple of hours of Wellington, Taranaki and the National Park areas of the central plateau. So an hour from skiing and 10 minutes from beaches.

There are things that we certainly have to leave Wanganui if we want to do them. Most things you can get here, but for variety, we do tend to go to Palmerston North for shopping - clothes and toys in particular. Also 10 pin bowling of all things!!!

But the key, in my opinion, to loving any place, is getting s group of friends. I think it is really important to meet both kiwis and expats and then you start to feel like you are settling in. Initially I didnt work as we renovated the house we bought, and apart from parents from school, I didnt feel integrated becuase I hadnt met people apart from workmen. I didnt realise this until I started work and met the whole of Wanganui! It very much turned around.

I hope you sell your house soon, do tell me what stage you are at! We loiter also on the housing market, though we are in a chain so we just need the bottom of the chain to sell and we are on the move. Its probably a good time to come and buy property now, house prices seem to be lower than 8 months ago and vendors are highly negociable by this point!! And cash buyers are welcomed with open arms as they come without a chain. You will find the buying process to be a quick one here, so make the most of it and really shop around and find the right house for you, when you get to that point!! Good luck! I know how it feels to be ready to move on and start your new life.

Pm me if you want to ask more!

Rachel x