British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wanaka.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wanaka-677805/)

Wessa Jul 22nd 2010 2:08 pm

Wanaka..

Hello All,

Anyone from the Wanaka area?

just wanted to get an idea about the place really.

We ski and snowboard every year, i know the mountains are not too far away :thumbup:
I will be coming for a quick visit to sort a location, job etc with the intention of the permanent move with the family. We previously did a 2 week recky two years ago and stayed in a few places outside Christchurch.

Of course we loved it there so we are all looking forward to the move.

Thanks, Gary. ;)

Wilester Jul 22nd 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Wanaka..

Not from the area but my wife has called me one during a many heated discussion ;)

HenryStewart Jul 26th 2010 2:25 am

I live in Queenstown and the southern lakes is an amazing place to live. If you are looking for a lively exciting life I'd recommend Queenstown or for a quieter life Wanaka is the place for you. Either way, we live an active life through the many amazing things to do in the region both winter and summer sports galore, wineries and great places to socialize. The skiing and snowboarding is pretty good and now the mountains are open 4-5 months over winter, so that's pretty cool! One thing I will say about the region is that it is very transient and touristy. But once you meet the locals, you're welcomed with some great kiwi hospitality.

One little thing about the region, if you are buying a place, make sure you budget quite a sum to upgrade the insulation, glazing and heating system! It gets mighty cold and the homes just aren't built for the climate!

Hope this helps.

Rolfie Jul 26th 2010 9:42 am

Hi Gary,

Don't know if you've been there, but it might be worth taking a look at Cromwell. It sits half way between Queenstown and Wanaka, so access to both towns is good.
I lived in Cromwell for a couple of years, and regularly went to both towns. The property prices are lower in Cromwell than either Wanaka or Queenstown, there's access to a selection of ski fields, and personally I prefer Cromnwell to Wanaka as it's less touristy and has a good community feel to the place. Cromwell sits on the edge of lake Dunstan, so there's instant access to fishing, boating etc.
I'm lucky to have lived in quite a few areas of NZ on both Islands, and reckon Cromwell offers the best overall quality of living out of the lot.
No doubt others will have a different view, and of course it's horses for courses.
By all means PM me if you wish. Anyway, hope all goes well for you. . .:thumbsup:

HenryStewart Jul 27th 2010 1:55 am

Rolfie makes an excellent point, Cromwell is in the middle and much less touristy than either place. I have many friends who successfully commute everyday from Cromwell to both wanaka and queenstown. And they all seem to enjoy living there.
It's certainly not my cup of tea, but being from a city originally it was natural that the most sedate I would go for would be a resort town with a city feel!

NermaltheCute Jul 27th 2010 2:47 am

I've got friends who live and work in Wanaka (one in real estate) and would agree with the property prices mentioned. It isn't a cheap place to live, but I would love to live there if I coud afford it!

mac917 Jul 27th 2010 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Wilester (Post 8721330)
Not from the area but my wife has called me one during a many heated discussion ;)

Dont often laugh at comments on here but Wilesters made me roar !!!

From Mrs Mac.

Wessa Aug 8th 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks all for your replies and the personal email. ;)

I will look at Cromwell, Does sound like a nice place. Ideal really for us.

Gary. :)

kiwinow Aug 9th 2010 4:31 am

What do you do for work?
Wanaka is far from any major city, so make sure you can find employment.
If that's not an issue then I'd agree with the others - a lovely holiday destination for most kiwis; a tad quiet in Wanaka, but a bit more life in Q'town; great outdoor life and scenery everywhere although you'd need wetsuits to enjoy the freezing water. A few hours drive to any city :cool:

Wessa Aug 9th 2010 2:28 pm

[QUOTE=kiwinow;8762574]What do you do for work?
[QUOTE]

At the moment im a Construction safety advisor on the Underground. I will only be coming to NZ if i get an offer im waiting on at the moment. We agreed their was no point in taking a chance and just coming out and looking for work. I may be going the hard way about it but im not one for taking risks for my family.. I know NZ is a big risk but i want to start off right at least.. ;)

Lynda63 Aug 9th 2010 10:14 pm

I have lived in Wanaka for over eight years.

Its a great place to bring up a family and there are lots of families that have moved here in recent years. Jobs, not that many, you may have to be very adaptable to survive here. Lots of tourists all the year round and very handy to skifields.

The lake yes it is cold, but on a hot summers day out its great to cool off in and there are warm areas.

It is remote and that's one of the things that used to drive me mad about it but you get used to it and to many that live here that is why they live here.

I wouldn't live in Cromwell though have youe ever walked through the Cromwell mall at least in Wanaka there is usually people around admittedly mainly tourists but thats my view. Good luck where ever you go.

jennifer45 Aug 10th 2010 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Wilester (Post 8721330)

Not WANAKA!

you misheard - surely she called you a WHASACK!!:D

As for Wanaka- It really is [was 2003] paradise on earth.

I have a small plot- lakeside- where I have requested in my will that my ashes be scattered among the roots of a cherry/almond/any type of ornamental blossom tree.
Hope the over development, which has taken place in the last 7 years, slows down alot and someone in authority ensures the natural environment of the area.
Still a beautiful place.
No one can take the Lake or the mountains away!