Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wallpaper, surely this is wrong

Wallpaper, surely this is wrong

Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:45 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wallpaper, surely this is wrong

We paid $70 per roll and bought 8 rolls. Fortunately Guthrie Bowron was having a sale. The cost of paint

We have wallpapered our lounge diner but I can't remember how much the wallpaper cost - lots I should imagine. Wallpapering the kitchen the wallpaper was expensive. We will wallpaper our hall, stairs, landing and downstairs storage room later this year, I'm bracing myself for the cost of all that wallpaper !!

I'm bracing myself for the possibility of: Ten rolls of wallpaper at $100 per roll
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

For people coming over, is paint something you're allowed to ship? Wallpaper might be worth bringing too if there's a design someone's head over heels with?
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie View Post
For people coming over, is paint something you're allowed to ship? Wallpaper might be worth bringing too if there's a design someone's head over heels with?
The shippers will say no due to its flamability, but I know people who have 'smuggled' some tins in!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat View Post
It's the reason why so many kiwi's live in houses that are no better than a pig shed.
barnsleymat - fantastic. That made me laugh, surely the best quote of 2013. Its shocking how bad the houses are here in general, sure they're big but they're a nightmare to heat and obviously paint and decorate!

Hope its better for you down South than it was here in Auck.

I've very much given up on the idea of home ownership in NZ for a good while to come.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Don't miss Guthrie Bowron's sale this Thursday (just saw the tv advert and thought of this thread )
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Was at ASDA yesterday. 5L tin of white Dulux was reduced from £15 to £10.
As usual I still believe that NZ is way more expensive for a huge range of items from food to electrical, despite what other people say.
Just a couple of weeks ago I was considering buying some running headphones in Dick Smith at $180 as I was not expecting to be in the UK. Picked up the same pair here last week for £30.
This last fortnight I have spent a fair amount of time comparing prices and am struggling to find anything beyond petrol (and housing) that is more expensive here especially when you consider I earn less for the same job in NZ. We've eaten out a lot here too and although my kids tell me that dominos pizza is double the price here all of our meals have been comparable or cheaper. As a final example we have booked 3 nights in a Premier Inn at Heathrow for the same price as one night (with a grab one deal) in a hotel in Wellington 3 weeks ago. The hotel was admittedly closer to the centre than our Heathrow hotel (we enjoy the bus/tube trip) but was certainly no better in terms of size or facilities.
We hear that phrase rip-off Britain quite regularly but I often feel that the same could be said of NZ.

Last edited by AndyEvs; Jan 22nd 2013 at 8:46 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

None of this surprises me, thought the price of Pizza is mental in the UK - I never buy unless it's a very good deal.

Paint; I just don't get it. Though I raised this with my OH (a Kiwi) who simply said "the price is what it is", which actually led to an arguement

However comparing accommodation in Heathrow to accommodation in Wellington is a tad unfair, unless your 'Wellington' accommodation was actually somewhere around the Hutt Valley!!

The Travelcards in London aren't cheap and Heathrow to Piccadilly Circus must be a 45 min journey, so hardly quick. I suppose you could get to Paddington in just under half an hour too.

As well as being miles out Heathrow is strewn with hotels competing for business around the busiest airport in the world, no wonder it's miles cheaper. In fact, the airport and freight industry aside the main source of income in and around the Heathrow area is the hotel industry.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your point, but to be honest we also looked at staying in the Top 10 park in Hutt, which is where we take school trips and the prices there were ridiculous too so not such a ridiculous comparison after all.
The hotel we stayed in was a 15 minute walk from parliament, we dont mind that as we like to walk, but hardly central. And as I say we like the tube travel part of our stay, the kids enjoy it so for us it worth being a little way out.
But like I say I accept that the comparison is not quite even. For us as a family on a budget, the final price is what matters and if we can stay somewhere close enough to the city to make it possible to easily get to the museums then I still maintain that we are getting a better deal than we did in Wellington last month.

Last edited by AndyEvs; Jan 22nd 2013 at 9:29 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Also it's the middle on winter here, the middle of summer in NZ - presumably school holidays too?

I am a tube nerd as well. I will miss it.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Tried to smuggle some tins in myself, unfortunately due to the fact they re-packed almost everything it was found and removed