British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wallpaper, surely this is wrong (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wallpaper-surely-wrong-784331/)

gina and danny Jan 19th 2013 4:51 am

Wallpaper, surely this is wrong

I'm looking for wallpaper for the little girls room, finally I found a lovely disney fairy design that I liked, only to go down to Guthrie Bowron to be told I had to wait 6 weeks for it to be delivered as they import it and that it would be $110.00 per roll and $65.00 per boarder!!!! :eek::eek:

Needless to say I won't be buying it from there, so my question is why is wallpaper sooooo expensive here, why is it not stocked in the shop and also if anyone knows of where I can purchase wallpaper for at least half the price then please let us know..

higgy2 Jan 19th 2013 5:04 am

Re: Wallpaper, surely this is wrong

Just wait until you price up the paint. It's very expensive, best of luck
with your search.

MrsFychan Jan 19th 2013 5:35 am

we went to Resene and had to wait a couple of days before we could have the wall paper we picked, luckily paper wasn't as expensive as yours at $72 each but still quite a lot and we were only needing 2-3 rolls. luckily they have a 3mth returns policy as well so if roll not used you can return it within that time frame

sr71 Jan 19th 2013 6:17 am

Maybe it's a reasonable price?

http://www.roommatesdecor.com/wallpa...wallpaper.aspx

sparkie down under Jan 19th 2013 6:41 pm

you're lucky. Ours cost $155 a roll and came from the UK, and took 7 weeks. I honestly thought about getting a mate back home to go to B&Q, buy it and ship it out himself

Jan n Neil Jan 19th 2013 7:14 pm

paint is horrendous, dont know why i think they make it here but going of the price i think they import it on the backs of unicorns in solid gold ships :sneaky:

Neil

scottishstacey Jan 19th 2013 8:03 pm

bloody hell . so you just pay that or go without?

MrsFychan Jan 19th 2013 10:29 pm

just realised we got ours on a sale weekend, god knows how much it would of costs then :sneaky:

barnsleymat Jan 19th 2013 10:58 pm

It's the reason why so many kiwi's live in houses that are no better than a pig shed.

I went to a house yesterday to see about getting some seats reupholstered, the place was falling down, looked more like a haunted house.

I'm still puzzling why paint is so expensive, it seems to be a price fixing racket all the shops have in on, much like supermarkets, pubs and chemists.

In bunnings you can get some amazing power tools for next to nothing, $30 for a jigsaw, $100 for a dropsaw etc. In the next aisle a tin of simple emulsion (kiwi made) costs the bloody earth. When I've finished renovating the kitchen in dreading getting prices to carpet the living room as I've heard carpet is as bad in the land of wool.

Sherlock Holmes Jan 20th 2013 12:56 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 10493700)
It's the reason why so many kiwi's live in houses that are no better than a pig shed.

I went to a house yesterday to see about getting some seats reupholstered, the place was falling down, looked more like a haunted house.

I'm still puzzling why paint is so expensive, it seems to be a price fixing racket all the shops have in on, much like supermarkets, pubs and chemists.

In bunnings you can get some amazing power tools for next to nothing, $30 for a jigsaw, $100 for a dropsaw etc. In the next aisle a tin of simple emulsion (kiwi made) costs the bloody earth. When I've finished renovating the kitchen in dreading getting prices to carpet the living room as I've heard carpet is as bad in the land of wool.

Just so you know you aren't alone over there. I wanted some lining paper. Not in stock, as ever, and would be $50.00 a roll. I didn't bother.

Paint here is a disgusting price. That said, some of the exterior paints are of top notch quality and do the job very well. Interior paint is crap and expensive.

Taking of wool, trying to find carpet with some wool content is nigh on impossible. Gawd knows why.

sr71 Jan 20th 2013 1:20 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 10493700)

No, you are wrong on that point. The reason why so many kiwis live in houses like that is because they would describe it as being down to earth, not bothered by unnecessary flashiness or unnecessarily spending money when what they have will do. Others would say it was feral.

love30stm Jan 20th 2013 1:39 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 10493823)
No, you are wrong on that point. The reason why so many kiwis live in houses like that is because they would describe it as being down to earth, not bothered by unnecessary flashiness or unnecessarily spending money when what they have will do. Others would say it was feral.

:thumbup:

gina and danny Jan 20th 2013 4:34 am

Thanks for all the replies, found out debenhams do the disney fairy range. 15.00 pounds a roll thankyou very much, and will deliver for 14.00 pounds. I think that's a definite O for awesome:thumbsup:

I would never call any roll of wallpaper over $45.00 reasonable price, maybe that's cos I'm a tight northerner !!

SLH Jan 20th 2013 6:50 am

Not sure how many rolls you need but make sure you check out the import tax. Website address is http://www.importduty.co.nz/

We pay 5% import tax on wallpaper. Its an easy calculator to use.

Good Luck

scottishstacey Jan 20th 2013 10:41 am

i had heart people say paint was expensive in oz but didn't realise wallpaper work cost that much in nz. suppose I didn't think about it.

wouldn't stop me coming over but certainly makes you realize how cheap things are here