Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Walking dogs in New Zealand.

Walking dogs in New Zealand.

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Pothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nice
Default Walking dogs in New Zealand.

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
This might go nowhere BUT here goes
For me this has been a real chance to do something I love, i.e. have lots of dogs and train them properly, that time and space did not permit for us in the UK. We brought three dogs out with us, but when I look at their quality of life and space now, compare to back then, there is no competition.
Jan
I found your post very interesting Jan n Neil especially the bit about your dogs quality of life compared to back in the UK. I brought my dog with me from the UK 6 years ago and was very disappointed with the total lack of dog walking areas. The UK is a fantastic place to have a dog with all the footpaths available for off lead walking and all our National Parks open to dogs too (unlike NZ). Every weekend my partner and I would choose a walk (from an hour to all day if we liked!) grabbed the dog and off we went - fabulous. I was totally shocked when I first arrived here too how many dog owners have their dogs in the back yards or tied to a kennel - something to me that was completely unheard of! A friend of mine visited NZ last year and asked where all the dogs were - she hadn't seen a single one on her travels! Unlike the UK where I used to take the dog with me EVERYWHERE it is really hard to do here as they are simply not welcome perhaps it is different in the South Island. Would love to know how others have found bringing their dogs to NZ and if anyone has found fantastic off lead walks that last more than 45 minutes! It is great that you have found an outlet for your dogs with agility but found it perplexing that their quality of life was better here - what dog wouldn't want more walks!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs - pics and dog stories

Pothy, we live rural. You could walk for hours along rivers if you want to. We also have 2 and a half acres so the space and the exercise they get is awesome. We had a handkerchief size back yard in the UK

Jan
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Pothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
You could walk for hours along rivers if you want to. We also have 2 and a half acres so the space and the exercise they get is awesome. We had a handkerchief size back yard in the UK

Jan
Hi Jan - sounds like the South Island is the place to be for walks along the rivers - the North Island is rather different with "No Dog" signs everywhere! We had an 11 acre block but it only used to take me 15 minutes to walk around which wasn't nearly enough for my energized puppies! Love NZ but really really miss the public footpaths and bridle ways of the UK and the fact I could take the dog into the local pub!
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Our neighbours take their great danes to the pub
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Tina1912 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

Very interested in this. I have 2 rescue Doggies who I'd be loathe to leave behind. We had been thinking of North Island but sounds as if our two may well do much better in a rural setting in South Island
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tina1912
Hiya

Very interested in this. I have 2 rescue Doggies who I'd be loathe to leave behind. We had been thinking of North Island but sounds as if our two may well do much better in a rural setting in South Island
Hi Tina - if you are coming from the UK and used to walking your dog endlessly off-lead on public footpaths - you will find NZ a massive change. I have two rescue dog too - they are the best! I have done some extensive research into dog walking (it was a real hobby of mine in the UK walking with my dogs or dog as it was then) and there are a few places you can walk your dog off-lead but not many or be prepared to travel. Some beaches are dog friendly in the winter but not during day-light saving so be aware of that. Most cities have a dog friendly park (probably mostly on-lead) and all Department of Conservation areas are out of bounds to dogs mainly to protect the bird life and because of the poison baits that abound which are very deadly to dogs. Be careful of going rural because you will still be very limited to only your block unless you can afford a 100 acres or so!! Don't leave them behind but just beware how different both countries are. If you are not used to walking your dogs then absolutely no worries they will adjust very well!
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 8:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

This thread is for everyone to discuss where they walk their dogs here in NZ. As you will see some of the previous posted have been lifted from Jan's Dog Pics and Stories thread .

Cheers

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 3rd 2013 at 8:15 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 8:25 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Walking dogs in New Zealand.

I have not had a problem find beach or bush walk for my dog, you just need to be aware of the restrictions, some beaches do not allow dogs on them from March to Oct but others are all year round. Bush walks yes you need to be aware of the bait traps and restricted areas but I can walk for a good few hours if wanted without any problem. I'm north of Wellington
Old Oct 4th 2013, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...r/dog-walking/
Old Oct 4th 2013, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

I think this leaflet sums it up nicely - 17 off-lead dog areas in the whole of the North Island and some are just campsites! MrsFychan sounds like you are very lucky and once again realise that I am in the wrong part of the North Island! It would be an awesome idea to actual state where we all walk and basic instructions on how to get there so that other people can enjoy these walks too. I'll start with the Blue Lake in Rotorua - about 11/4hrs off-leash (well mine go off leash!) with about the last 1/4hr on the road. In summer lovely swim in the lake afterwards with the dogs. Only problem for me is it is a 2 hour drive away! Love to know about your bush walks MrsFychan as I would have a weekend away with the dogs if I knew of places where I could walk for hours off-leash.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

We tend to do Kohi and St Heliers beaches, Churchill Park in Glendowie, Mt Wellington, Meola Reef, Big King reserve and Kepa Bush reserve in Auckland
Old Oct 4th 2013, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pothy
I found your post very interesting Jan n Neil especially the bit about your dogs quality of life compared to back in the UK. I brought my dog with me from the UK 6 years ago and was very disappointed with the total lack of dog walking areas. The UK is a fantastic place to have a dog with all the footpaths available for off lead walking and all our National Parks open to dogs too (unlike NZ). Every weekend my partner and I would choose a walk (from an hour to all day if we liked!) grabbed the dog and off we went - fabulous. I was totally shocked when I first arrived here too how many dog owners have their dogs in the back yards or tied to a kennel - something to me that was completely unheard of! A friend of mine visited NZ last year and asked where all the dogs were - she hadn't seen a single one on her travels! Unlike the UK where I used to take the dog with me EVERYWHERE it is really hard to do here as they are simply not welcome perhaps it is different in the South Island. Would love to know how others have found bringing their dogs to NZ and if anyone has found fantastic off lead walks that last more than 45 minutes! It is great that you have found an outlet for your dogs with agility but found it perplexing that their quality of life was better here - what dog wouldn't want more walks!!!
Really!! really!!!
I feel robbed of the time I've wasted reading this,havent you something more constructive to do with your time than complain about dog walking !!!
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
Really!! really!!!
I feel robbed of the time I've wasted reading this,havent you something more constructive to do with your time than complain about dog walking !!!
Wow Justcol thought it was just me but then saw that you had posted a bit of verbal on another thread 3 minutes after posting mine! Must of had a bad day at work so I forgive you! Only interested to know where people walk their dogs as it is a hobby of mine. I bet you don't even have a dog which makes me wonder why you even want to read the thread (or don't you have anything better to do!) and if you do have a dog why don't you post where you walk it so we can all know.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Please be aware the above relates to Dept. of Conservation land only.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

We walk our dog on the beach, in the forest and at Groynes Dog Park, which has about 8 huge paddocks, river access, agility courses and is fully fenced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.