Reload this Page >

Wales to Oz and perhaps now to NZ?

Wales to Oz and perhaps now to NZ?

Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Dogwalk is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Wales to NZ?

Hello Celtic Knight,

I'm another Welshie and like you we are not in NZ.

We are, however, in Australia.

Do you mind if I hijack your thread ?

The reason being I would love to hear from the other Welsh people in NZ.

To explain - we've been in Oz over 2 years but it hasn't really done it for me.
Looking back I should have realised - we're a couple who moved out of Cardiff because "it was too busy", and now we find ourselves living in a city with a population equal to Wales !

Anyway, there is a chance that my oh can get a job in NZ - around Rotorua.
So I've started looking on the forum - I last used the site before we emigrated.

One thing I've realised that I really miss the scenery of Wales (green!!!) and the access we had to the countryside.

So my questions are (in no particular order):

1. What's the dog-walking like?
2. Can I take my dog into the national parks etc (on or off lead) ?
3. How high is the cost of living (or how long is a piece of string) ?
4. Likes and dislikes - compared to Wales

Any insights gratefully read.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Wales to Oz and perhaps now to NZ?

Hello,

Thought I'd bump this up to see if there are any other dogwalkers out there.

I'd really like to know where you are allowed to take your dog in NZ ?
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Willoughby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wales to NZ?

Originally Posted by Dogwalk

One thing I've realised that I really miss the scenery of Wales (green!!!) and the access we had to the countryside.

1. Excellent.

2. In some places... though around Rotorua Lakes it's restricted to hunting dogs only.<snip>
3. Rotorua is pretty good with relatively cheap rent and house prices.

4. Not from wales. But Rotorua tends to have a sunnier climate than Auckland, but wetter than all other cities apart from Whangarei. (1500mm annually.) Very green around Rotorua, more so in the Waikato.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 30th 2009 at 10:58 am. Reason: little snip
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid it is nowhere near as good for dog walking as in UK. Most national parks are off limits for dogs. SOme of the regional parks are OK. The redwood forest near Rotorua used to be a good spot but I think this is now a no-go.
There are sure to be areas here and there (eg the reserve at Hannah's Bay used to be a good spot). Less-populated beaches are generally OK any time; popular beaches have restrictions in the summer, ie mornings and evenings only.
The countryside is ceratinly normally green and pleasant though
This is an old article but gives you an idea:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...jectid=3100818
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks lapsed kiwi,

I must admit that I really struggled when we first got to Oz - we were spolit for choice where we lived in Wales.

At least now I've got more accustomed to it (but it still rankles that you can take a 4WD anywhere!).

Hoping to be closer to a beach - as you say, they are usually safer options.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dogwalk,

I'm in Rotorua (with my dog ) and life's not too bad for a dog around these parts. Dogs aren't allowed in the CBD (City centre) at all, but we go to the Redwoods a lot. There is a section where dogs can walk off lead, and for a good proportion of the other trails dogs are allowed but only if on lead. That said a lot of the trails are divided, some for mountain bikers, some for horses, some for runners, dogs, pushchairs etc, so that if everyone sticks to the "allowed" routes you're not suddenly going to get mown down by a mountain bike. Some of the lakes allow dogs. I think we've dogwalked around the Blue Lake & Tarawera, but not Lake Okereka. That said I think the NZers think we're a bit odd, after all our dog is a pet, and is allowed in the house ....for some reason that I can't quite fathom Kiwis tend to keep their dogs outdoors at all times, even the pets rather than just the working ones.

Oh, and I nearly forgot, Papamoa beach is lovely for dogs, I seem to remember there being restrictions on dog walking there in the summer months, but we go over there a lot, 40 mins drive or so from Rotorua, and our dog loves a good old romp along the beach.

I lived for some time just outside Carmarthen, and the landscape of the Waikite Valley, 15-20 mins outside Rotorua does remind me a little bit of Wales.

Have you considered taking a holiday over here in NZ to have a look around and see what you think?

Last edited by Tomsk; Jun 30th 2009 at 8:00 pm. Reason: Forgot to mention the joys of Papamoa beach!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand is lovely and green and its a lot smaller over there like the UK however for me I could never live in Rotorua as I hate the smell from the mud and the hot springs.

Our family lived in NZ for eight years and then moved over to Aus and must admit even though I like NZ I do prefer living here in Melbourne.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:58 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in Papamoa with 2 dobermans and they can go on the beach here all year, but there are rules like not within 200m of the surf club, not on Mount main beach or on the Mount etc. Your best bet if you like the sound of an area is to go on to that city's council website where there should be a section on dogs and it will tell you what and where is and isn't allowed - if that makes sense?!

Mine are buggers off the lead so I bung them in the car and head 20 minutes up the road passed Te Puke to Maketu where they can run on a deserted beach to their hearts content and can't run off as it's a small peninsula.

I would say there are fewer dogs here per head than the UK.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 3:26 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
I could never live in Rotorua as I hate the smell from the mud and the hot springs.

Our family lived in NZ for eight years and then moved over to Aus and must admit even though I like NZ I do prefer living here in Melbourne.
We're the opposite Petals! I LOOOOOOVE the smell of Rotorua I prefer living in NZ although I'm not fond of the 'winter in a shed' aspect
Old Jul 1st 2009, 3:47 am
Just Joined

nzdave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wales to NZ?

Hello Celtic Knight,

I'm another Welshie and like you we are not in NZ.

We are, however, in Australia.

Do you mind if I hijack your thread ?

The reason being I would love to hear from the other Welsh people in NZ.

To explain - we've been in Oz over 2 years but it hasn't really done it for me.
Looking back I should have realised - we're a couple who moved out of Cardiff because "it was too busy", and now we find ourselves living in a city with a population equal to Wales !

Anyway, there is a chance that my oh can get a job in NZ - around Rotorua.
So I've started looking on the forum - I last used the site before we emigrated.

Come to Wellington and go to the Welsh Bar - only Welsh bar in the Southern Hemisphere!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

steelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud of
Red face Wales -v- Rotorua

Hello,

Thought I'd bump this up to see if there are any other dogwalkers out there.

I'd really like to know where you are allowed to take your dog in NZ ?
Hi 'Dogwalk'

Our labrador arrived in NZ just under 2weeks ago ! If she could speak... I'm sure she'd tell you she's very happy here !

She's even made 'friend's' with TOMSK's dog and we all enjoyed a beautiful walk up at the Redwoods last Saturday.

Rotorua's landscape is green with rolling hills, I'm sure you'd love it here.
The 'smell' everyone goes on about.... isn't that bad really.
I drive my son to school every morning and there is one place which never lets us down for the fix of the Rotorua niff. My son has named it "smelly corner".

There are some great flight deals around at the moment, why not pop out for a short spa break ??

Good luck
Steelblue's OH
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Wales to Oz and perhaps now to NZ?

Thank you all for the lovely replies.

Must admit I knew about the "smell" but reckon it's probably similar to Port Talbot steelworks when I was growing up.

We're hoping to come over in Septemeber for a good look around.
I'm just looking forward to seeing green grass again (not the artificial type).

ps does the Welsh bar serve Bass out of the barrel ? That's what my friends and I started our drinking lives with -in a 150 year old pub that once housed the local chapel upstairs.