British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wales to NZ should we or shouldn't we?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wales-nz-should-we-shouldnt-we-770630/)

stellios Sep 5th 2012 8:44 am

Wales to NZ should we or shouldn't we??

Would love to know whether peolple think NZ would be a good move for us as a family. We have a good life here in many ways. We live in a beautiful area so problems with traffic, crime, poor schools etc do not apply. We are in a village with a great community spirit yet easy commute to Liverpool/Manchester not that we really go much!

My OH and I work part time and survive financially just! We live fairly frugally, only buy clothes in the sales!, rarely eat out, choose to drive old cars in order to spend money on what we really like which is (budget!) travel normally to Greece at Easter and France/Spain (house swap) in the summer.

Main negatives here for us are obviously climate!! which is a huge factor for us. It's the lack of sunshine that gets me hence our need to go away as much as we can. We would love a house with a bit of land as totally outpriced here and can't sell our house anyway. We are also totally bored and restless here! We did a reccie a few years back to Queensland but it just didn't grab us in the way we needed it to. We immediatley regretted not seeing NZ at the same time as we feel that it would suit us much better. We also found that we have a natural affinity with Kiwis we met whilst in OZ and the UK.

We have 4 kids ages 5-15 and am naturally concerned about future prospects in NZ. The last thing I would want is to move there then all my kids head home/abroad in later life for better opportunities. My eldest actually wants to go but the other 3 are dead against! The place we are most centred on living is Nelson. I know I am a bit all over the place in this post and that's how I feel about it. Would love anyones opinions postive or negative taking into account our personal situation.

Robbie2010 Sep 5th 2012 9:35 am

Re: Wales to NZ should we or shouldn't we??

Should we or shouldn't we?? That all depends on what skills/qualifications you have and what work you intend doing.

Jan n Neil Sep 5th 2012 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 10264860)
Should we or shouldn't we?? That all depends on what skills/qualifications you have and what work you intend doing.

Emigration to NZ is for NZ to upskill its workforce. Perhaps do a "points" test on the immigration website to see what points your work skills and/or degrees would get for you?

To be honest unless you have lots of money to live in a so-called "lifestyle" area near a big city here in NZ - and the small country sections do cost the most because people would rather have one acre than 10, it's less work - from how you describe your current life I think you might be better off where you are :o

Jan

stellios Sep 5th 2012 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 10264860)

Hi. Sorry should of said - I'll be nursing full or part time and my OH would look for work in the arts (he runs a public art gallery at the moment part time). He is also a musician so may look for work dong that too. However we realise this may prove difficult. I may well be the only breadwinner. We would ideally look for a property needing improvement which may be my OH main focus.

Robbie2010 Sep 5th 2012 9:59 am

Originally Posted by stellios (Post 10264895)
Hi. Sorry should of said - I'll be nursing full or part time .......................

Nursing jobs Nelson ....

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...8A9CiVVkTF2-WQ

Justcol Sep 5th 2012 10:46 am

Based purely on the info you've given in your post I think you should seriously consider coming over.
In some ways it sounds like you would be swapping like for like but you'll get the better weather your after
and i think with property prices in some areas, particularly some rural areas, being cheaper, you could
seriously look at being able to afford a lifestyle size section with a fixer upper on it.
Nelson isn't the cheapest of places but after a quick look on trade me I think you would find something
without breaking the bank.
One thing to consider is your foreign travel would probably go out of the window as we are not
very close to anywhere and we dont really get the bargain holidays we all used to enjoy in the uk.
Do your homework and dont be hasty, kids are always reluctant to change, they tend to like continuity
but they do get over it and generally settle in very well once they make some new friends.

BEVS Sep 5th 2012 11:11 pm

I live in the Nelson and Bays area. It isn't the cheapest place in NZ but people do manage to settle and survive. I'm happy to have the dialogue with you .

If you are a nurse and prepared to work full time then it should be feasible.

This area can be quite isolating to be honest. You won't be taking holidays offshore unless you have mega bucks. You'll be camping in and around the area. The weather is good here. You'll certainly think it better than Wales.

It's not always possible to do up a home the way it happens in the UK. Work is very closely monitored here and some DIY you might have done in the UK is not allowed here. Having said that , nothing to stop you buying a sub-standard house and then 'doing it up'. Not very cost effective IMO.

There are several villages that surround Nelson which is where the main hospital is & is the mostly likely place you would gain a job offer .

sparkie down under Sep 6th 2012 8:06 am

helo a chroeso i'r safle.
Mae'n ddrwg gennym i fod yn anodd arnoch chi, ond byddwch yn sicr yn ei chael yn anodd iawn i oroesi yma. Mae gwaith yn anodd dod o hyd a chredaf fod y costau byw mor uchel ag y mae gartref yng Nghymru. Rydym yn yn gyffredinol yn cael tywydd gwell a dyna am y peth. Os gwelwch yn dda meddwl yn hir ac yn galed cyn neidio. ond pob lwc gyda'ch penderfyniad

stellios Sep 6th 2012 8:18 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10266011)
I live in the Nelson and Bays area. It isn't the cheapest place in NZ but people do manage to settle and survive. I'm happy to have the dialogue with you .

If you are a nurse and prepared to work full time then it should be feasible.

This area can be quite isolating to be honest. You won't be taking holidays offshore unless you have mega bucks. You'll be camping in and around the area. The weather is good here. You'll certainly think it better than Wales.

It's not always possible to do up a home the way it happens in the UK. Work is very closely monitored here and some DIY you might have done in the UK is not allowed here. Having said that , nothing to stop you buying a sub-standard house and then 'doing it up'. Not very cost effective IMO.

There are several villages that surround Nelson which is where the main hospital is & is the mostly likely place you would gain a job offer .

Thanks for that Bev and all other reponses they are really helpful. Bev it would be interesting to know how you feel about Nelson as an area for college age kids. Is there much there for them? To be honest I guess my kids are pretty isolated already as we are in the sticks a bit but they are not yet at an age to be that independant. It strikes me that the isolation is quite a bit negative for you and others. I guess I have imagined the area would have enough to satisfy us but maybe not?

Justcol Sep 6th 2012 8:32 am

Originally Posted by stellios (Post 10266598)
I guess I have imagined the area would have enough to satisfy us but maybe not?

If it turns out Nelson isn't the place for you dont worry, there are so many other places all over NZ
that would probably be the perfect place for you and your family. Even in the big cities you can be
in the middle of nowhere with a 30 minute drive, often less.

luvwelly Sep 6th 2012 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by stellios (Post 10264786)
We have 4 kids ages 5-15 and am naturally concerned about future prospects in NZ. The last thing I would want is to move there then all my kids head home/abroad in later life for better opportunities. My eldest actually wants to go but the other 3 are dead against! The place we are most centred on living is Nelson. I know I am a bit all over the place in this post and that's how I feel about it. Would love anyones opinions postive or negative taking into account our personal situation.

If your UK life (including schools) is fine apart from the weather, it is a definite 'no you shouldn't ' from me. If you must try relocating within UK for better weather before shelling out the NZ outlay risking trapping yourself 10,000 miles from home.

Assanah Sep 6th 2012 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 10267556)
If your UK life (including schools) is fine apart from the weather, it is a definite 'no you shouldn't ' from me. If you must try relocating within UK for better weather before shelling out the NZ outlay risking trapping yourself 10,000 miles from home.

I personally would add: family! Big thing to be thinking about. If you have a close relationship with your family then the pull of NZ should be very strong to make up for the losses. Being away from aging parents, pulling grandparents and grandchildren apart...is the price to pay. It can be worth it. Just consider it carefully.

Good luck with your decision :thumbsup:

Bev MK Sep 6th 2012 7:50 pm

Based on what you've written in the first post, I don't really see why you're considering emigrating and why NZ. The only reason that really seems to be there is weather and you can get that elsewhere, including in the UK. Lots of NZ will also have its fair share of cold, wet weather.

Against - you're happy as you are - which is great. You say you can't sell your house - how would that impact on the costs of relocating? You say you just about get by financially - well, emigrating is an expensive business - visas, medicals, flights, hotels, deposit on rental accommodation, shipping presumably some belongings. Have you looked into what your jobs would pay in NZ and relative housing etc costs?

3 of 4 children not wanting to go - again, not good. Yeah, kids are adaptable and often get on with it but I've done the expat circuit for a while now and I've seen plenty of kids who don't get on it, don't adapt and spend many years unhappy and resentful at their parents for it. You need to look at why they don't want to go - maybe they have specific and valid reasons, maybe not. The 15 year old wants to go - how does that fit in with their education? You can end up going back a year in school (which doesn't usually help with self-esteem or fitting in) or not being able to do your chosen subject at uni with differing school courses and backgrounds.

I also wouldn't put much value on getting along well with Kiwis you've met outside NZ as with most countries, those who leave have a somewhat different personality to those who don't.

Not trying to rain on your parade and we haven't lived in NZ yet, just been on a extended holiday there. However, we've worked and lived in a variety of countries in Asia, Africa and Europe and seen expat jobs and emigrating work out for some and not for others - it's not for everyone. And I've yet to see a couple happy on an expat posting if their kids are miserable - it usually results in them cutting the contract short. I think you have a lot more thinking, discussing and researching to do still. Which is not a bad thing. :)

Chalkygirl Sep 7th 2012 2:55 am

Originally Posted by stellios (Post 10264786)
My OH and I work part time and survive financially just! We live fairly frugally, only buy clothes in the sales!, rarely eat out, choose to drive old cars in order to spend money on what we really like which is (budget!) travel normally to Greece at Easter and France/Spain (house swap) in the summer.

If you come to NZ the only difference will be that you will probably have to work full time to be able to do that. Oh, and forget overseas holidays. You'll be camping in Godzone, especially with 4 kids.

Yes, having a house with some land is lovely especially if you live somewhere with good weather. We've done it (and moved on). But there are plenty of downsides too. Rural NZ is VERY rural. Attitudes, schooling, things to do for the kids. Nelson is a beautiful area but would a UK teenager want to live there? Unless they are only into rugby and 'the outdoors', I doubt it.
Do you have close ties with your family? if so, think seriously about what it means to emigrate. If you are working part time in NZ it is going to be virtually impossible for you all to go back regularly, if at all.
If the kids don't want to come you will deeply regret bringing them if they don't adjust. Your husbands job may prove difficult too as the areas he works in are limited here. If you are going to require a mortgage out here I wouldn't risk it unless you have a bucketload of money to come over with.
Sorry to sound negative and I am sure there are people with conflicting advice for you, but in my opinion you seem better off there (Welsh weather and all).

Browner_ Sep 7th 2012 9:28 am

I agree with the above two replies.
I doubt youd be better off in NZ and it would be high risk