British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wake up with Wogan - BBC2 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wake-up-wogan-bbc2-620573/)

Margaret Parkinson Jul 16th 2009 7:36 pm

Wake up with Wogan - BBC2

On Monday Terry Wogan read out an email from someone in NZ saying one of the things they missed was an english sausage because they did not know how to make them in NZ. My son Ian Parkinson emailed him and told him there was a good english butchers in Papamoa which had been opened by my daughter & son in law who amongst other things sold the good old english banger. This of course caused a debate about sausages and Doug's shop was again mentioned yesterday by someone else in NZ. Terry was also informed as to where Papamoa was because he said he did not know if it was the North or South Island. For those who do not know you can catch up on loads of English TV & radio programs on your computer. If you want to listen you can of the link under my signature.

Margaret Parkinson Jul 17th 2009 5:31 pm

Re: Wake up with Wogan - BBC2

I thought this post might have caused a debate about the difference between UK & NZ sausages. Gail tells me there has been a few people in the shop who heard Doug's name mentioned by Terry Wogan so some good has come out of it. A bit of free advertising all the way from the UK.:thumbsup:

MnB Jul 17th 2009 7:43 pm

Great..... not tasted Doug's sausages yet but will def be visiting his shop ..........one daaaayyy!!
B x

Perry Groves Jul 17th 2009 7:46 pm

Are they pork or beef? there are Ostrich sausages now!

Margaret Parkinson Jul 17th 2009 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Perry Groves (Post 7762178)
Are they pork or beef? there are Ostrich sausages now!

Pork & beef. We even send out the seasoning for cumberland sausages. He has managed to get a supplier for all his other needs. Have you looked at his website that tells it all?

Tomsk Jul 17th 2009 11:42 pm

I'd pointed out Doug's shop to my Mum-in-law when she was visiting us over here back in January (I am a very infrequent customer...tend to pop in when we're over that way, but that's not really often enough ).

Anyway, she rang us yesterday simply to say that she'd been hearing about the shop on the radio. I did wonder if she was getting confused, couldn't quite work out why Terry was suddenly interested in a butchers shop in Papamoa, great though Doug's sausages are, so it's really good to make the connection. He'll be securing himself a spot on the must visit lists for British tourists at this rate :thumbup:

kiwinow Jul 18th 2009 4:50 am

And then there's the TV ad that compares kiwi bangers to German ones...hmmm.

I've never tried the Papamoa version, but what great advertising!

Is Terry Wogan still on radio? Isn't he impossibly ancient by now?

Margaret Parkinson Jul 18th 2009 8:43 am

Originally Posted by kiwinow (Post 7762921)
And then there's the TV ad that compares kiwi bangers to German ones...hmmm.

I've never tried the Papamoa version, but what great advertising!

Is Terry Wogan still on radio? Isn't he impossibly ancient by now?

A number of people have been in the shop and told him they listen to Terry via their computers and had heard the broadcast. By the way Terry was born in 1938.

kiwinow Jul 19th 2009 3:38 am

The media is the one industry where people are valued after they reach 60. I was a nanny for his contemporary, Ed Stewart, when I was 18. His kids would now be in their 30s, which makes me feel really old.

Nevertheless it is great that NZ is sausage paradise. :rofl: When I lived in Germany as a teenager, they couldn't believe that we could actually swallow what was then called a sausage in NZ. Sawdust was the term they used to describe the contents of said sausage. :unsure:

Perry Groves Jul 19th 2009 2:50 pm

After Curry Wurst, I missed the old bangers!

bolton1 Jul 19th 2009 9:22 pm

Hi June we heard this and have a claim to fame :rofl: I don't eat sausages as a rule ( not for last 20 odd years ) but when we visited I did try one of Dougs & it was lovely.:D

Margaret Parkinson Jul 19th 2009 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by bolton1 (Post 7766415)
Hi June we heard this and have a claim to fame :rofl: I don't eat sausages as a rule ( not for last 20 odd years ) but when we visited I did try one of Dougs & it was lovely.:D

To be honest I could live without sausages but I have to admit he only puts good stuff in them so they go down a treat. Hope to see you next year in NZ.