British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Waiting and worried... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/waiting-worried-663791/)

Meeto Apr 13th 2010 10:34 am

Waiting and worried...

My husband & I have been trying for NZ since Dec '08, but our application had been delayed since we fell pregnant last winter. To speed things along, we sold our house and paid for a preliminary medical on the nhs, and we're still waiting. We're going on the strength of his application which is 130 points (without a job offer)- which altho' is scary but we feel is more flexible: he's an electric engineer whilst I work on the frontline of the ambulance service. Our baby's now 5 months.... and we're renting whilst living out of boxes... it just feels that NZ will never happen :( Did this happen to you - or are you in a similar situation?

JCB

BEVS Apr 13th 2010 10:44 am

Re: Waiting and worried...

Kia Ora and welcome to this little NZ forrum.

What stage are you at ?

Meeto Apr 13th 2010 10:51 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8492410)
Kia Ora and welcome to this little NZ forrum.

What stage are you at ?

We're waiting to be pulled out of 'the pool' to be invited to submit our EOI.

pestman Apr 13th 2010 7:16 pm

this whole NZ thing just takes time and will drain the life out of you,give you big highs and huge lows all wrapped up in hope.

did you mean you have done your eoi and are waiting for your ITA?

It will happen if you have the points you will get picked form the pool.

Not having a job might slow thay down a bit but again if you have the points then it's just a waiting game.

has your husband got his qualifications checked by the relevant bodies here?
If he is an electrician then you should get onto that asap via EWRB. If thats all been done then all good.

The paper chasing/trail will be what the ITA is all about so get full birth certs and everything else you might need started.just download ITA info/application form from NZIS site read it as to what is needed and get onto that.

good luck

george

Meeto Apr 13th 2010 7:34 pm

Hi George,
Correction- we've done our EOI (Which is in 'the pool') and are currently awaiting the ITA-stage. He's had all his quals & education-certs approved of by NZQA last year.
We've done a fair bit so far... but feel as tho nothing's been done. Sounds very gobbledy-gook!!
I guess because I'm waiting to feel settled down esp now we have our Young-One, and I'm just not feeling settled.
We've got all our paperwork ready for the ITA... when it happens... but it's this wait which is driving me crackers.
I do appreciate your msg & help. Thanks, and for your support!:thumbup:

JCB

Dewb09 Apr 13th 2010 7:43 pm

Hi & welcome to the site :thumbsup:

:fingerscrossed: things move along for you soon

Dewb

Meeto Apr 13th 2010 7:51 pm

Thanks, and me too :fingerscrossed:

BEVS Apr 13th 2010 8:13 pm

Ah ! It's all gobbledy-gook to all of us all the time.:lol: That's why we try'n help each other out.

So, the EOI is in the pool. When did you submit it? Just trying to get a feel for your timeline so far .

Have you looked at the EWRB site yet? If he is an electrical worker then registration and licensing is required. NZIS will want to know about this as part of the ITA paperwork.

Another small thing. You say....

and paid for a preliminary medical on the nhs
What do you mean?

Persephone Apr 14th 2010 12:11 am

Welcome
So have you been selected yet or still just in the pool? The problem with applying is that it will take as long as it takes, the NZIS website will give you approximate timescales but these vary depending on a number of different factors. Unfortunately patience is a virtue when dealing with NZIS, not easy though when you want to get on and sort out your future;)
If it helps, I applied with 130points and no job offer and got PR. That was just under 2 years ago though [and the time has flown by since:eek:]

As BEVS said, not sure what you mean by a 'preliminary medical on the NHS'? Was that just to check there was nothing wrong before going through the expense of applying. I presume you realise that the ITA medicals have to be done by an approved doctor and be less than 3m old when you submit your ITA:confused:

Good luck
:D

Meeto Apr 14th 2010 8:41 am

We submitted our EOI in Dec '09.
Yes, the 'preliminary' health check on the nhs was purely for our own benefit; checking to see ways we may improve our medical chances/check to see that there's nowt sinister lurking before being told by the approved panel of dr's and facing their fees. All our dandy I'm pleased to say! :thumbsup:
My hubby's is aware of the regulations, registrations and 're-training' for NZ-standards etc.. he faces with rgds to his profession. :cool:
Persephone- you say you applied with no job offer and 130 points and got PR - what do you mean by PR? It's all these abbreviations, I just get very confused! :wub: Needless to say, I'm very envious of where you are now :sneaky:

x
JCB

BEVS Apr 14th 2010 8:49 am

Eh? You know EOI . You know ITA. You know NZQA. You know Pool. You know EWRB but you don't know PR? :unsure:

ibex Apr 14th 2010 9:29 am

PR = bottle opener :beer::D

JohnThePom Apr 14th 2010 1:31 pm

Oh spit it out.... Permanent Residency.

I work in telecoms. Boy am I sick to the back teeth of acronyms.

WP :rofl:

simonsi Apr 14th 2010 4:08 pm

TLA's :eek::rolleyes: