British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   waiting, waiting waiting! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/waiting-waiting-waiting-399415/)

Frenchy Sep 29th 2006 6:42 pm

waiting, waiting waiting!

Hi there,
I am normally not impatient but over the past few weeks I have turned into a miserable, e mail and phone call addicted monster!!!!
We have been bouncing medical queries back and forth since ITA submission in March and subsequent job offer in June. :mad:
After several queries for hubby and myself the rest of the family had clearance 2 months ago. They wanted more information on my raised liver function tests which they received exactly 4 weeks yesterday!!!! (that 4 weeks 0 days and 8 hours from now)
Silly me thought 2 weeks on the outside for a yes no or perhaps (subject to NZ approval). This is AGONY!!!!! keep checking NZIS site and e mails and have phone the case officer 3 times in the last month!!
Anyone got any thoughts or want to share a rant ;)

karonious Sep 29th 2006 8:14 pm

Re: waiting, waiting waiting!

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Hi there,
Silly me thought 2 weeks on the outside for a yes no or perhaps (subject to NZ approval). This is AGONY!!!!! keep checking NZIS site and e mails and have phone the case officer 3 times in the last month!!
Anyone got any thoughts or want to share a rant ;)

Hi there,
really understand what you are going through, we had a hold up with medicals too. You have most likely had the same problem - their consultant has been on holiday for the best part of a fortnight? Hopefully now she is back to work you should find things moving along. :)
And isn't it soul destroying when you haven't heard by the end of Friday afternoon and know you have to sit tight until Monday morning before anything can start happening again. We hadn't heard last Friday and I felt really low. Later on - about 6.30pm my mobile finally picked up a signal - the case officer had left a message with the OK at 3.30!! I just about cried with relief at that point.
So hang on in there, can't take much longer :)
Karen B

dreamfish Sep 29th 2006 8:50 pm

Can anyone explain to me which bits they pay particular interest to in your blood results (and what are the right figures to have).

I am quite happy to post up my results if you like?

karonious Sep 29th 2006 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish
Can anyone explain to me which bits they pay particular interest to in your blood results (and what are the right figures to have).

I am quite happy to post up my results if you like?

Sorry, can't really help - I'm a mental health nurse - not my field! :) However, look at your copy of the results - they should show what your result was for that particular test and underneath they should show the normal range for male or female. Should give you some indication of how you stand in the range given. LFT(Liver Function Test) is about the most important I'm guessing...
Not overly helpful I'm afraid :)

dreamfish Sep 29th 2006 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by karonious
Sorry, can't really help - I'm a mental health nurse - not my field! :) However, look at your copy of the results - they should show what your result was for that particular test and underneath they should show the normal range for male or female. Should give you some indication of how you stand in the range given. LFT(Liver Function Test) is about the most important I'm guessing...
Not overly helpful I'm afraid :)

no worries - i cant make out which figures are representing my liver function. some of the figures on both mine and DP's are outside the 'norm' but the GP didnt seem concerned about them. he didnt comment on them

karonious Sep 29th 2006 9:45 pm

no worries - i cant make out which figures are representing my liver function. some of the figures on both mine and DP's are outside the 'norm' but the GP didnt seem concerned about them. he didnt comment on them

Well in that case - :beer: and don't worry :D
Hopefully someone will be able to give you a better idea when they log in - Danny and Donna for instance (don't post your results - Danny will try to pass them off as his own!) :)

dreamfish Sep 29th 2006 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by karonious
Well in that case - :beer: and don't worry :D
Hopefully someone will be able to give you a better idea when they log in - Danny and Donna for instance (don't post your results - Danny will try to pass them off as his own!) :)

LMAO!

well i had the extra lard arse tests done (fasting) and it seems my cholestrol is up 0.6, and 0.3 on the LDL. :(

Just hope they dont hold that against me!

On each of our results, there are approx 5 that have been flagged for being outside the recommended levels.

is that what most of us get - or have you all had perfect blood tests?!!

karonious Sep 29th 2006 10:00 pm

On each of our results, there are approx 5 that have been flagged for being outside the recommended levels.

Y'know, I honestly didn't look - we just put them in the post and hoped like hell it would be OK.. I had bigger concerns: I have a detached retina (have had it for over 20 years) so that was my main worry, along with the fact I have started with a cataract in the same eye due to all the steroid drops I had to use; so blood tests weren't at the top of my list to worry about ! :) Passed with no problems :beer:

Frenchy Sep 29th 2006 10:05 pm

LMAO!

well i had the extra lard arse tests done (fasting) and it seems my cholestrol is up 0.6, and 0.3 on the LDL. :(

Just hope they dont hold that against me!

Your cholesterol is just about OK if its 6. If you want to post your results (or pm) I will tell you what they are. ALT and Gamma Gt were raised with mine and EVENTUALLY they diagnosed non alcoholic fatty liver disease (comes with being a little overweight), Dont think that this will be an issue but being that its a month since this submission getting a bit worried! :scared:

dreamfish Sep 30th 2006 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Your cholesterol is just about OK if its 6. If you want to post your results (or pm) I will tell you what they are. ALT and Gamma Gt were raised with mine and EVENTUALLY they diagnosed non alcoholic fatty liver disease (comes with being a little overweight), Dont think that this will be an issue but being that its a month since this submission getting a bit worried! :scared:

Hi Frenchy - I will drop you a line later when i get a moment. I have just run my results by my uncle who is a gp. he did suggest that my results were because i am overweight. Fatty deposits in the old system etc. He did say that they were marginal and he doesnt think there is any call for concern which is reassuring.

i wonder how picky the NZI guys are!

Frenchy Sep 30th 2006 4:41 pm

Hi Frenchy - I will drop you a line later when i get a moment. I have just run my results by my uncle who is a gp. he did suggest that my results were because i am overweight. Fatty deposits in the old system etc. He did say that they were marginal and he doesnt think there is any call for concern which is reassuring.

i wonder how picky the NZI guys are!

My ALT was only 2 marks over the expected top range. Gamma GT was high at 160 (Should be less than 40 but now 100). My hubbies Gamma Gt and ALT and Alkaline phosphate were really only JUST over the norm, he had to get further tests and GP opinion (diagnosed Gilbert's disease... he has got in no probs)
I think because My gamma Gt is way over perhaps they thought I was an alcoholic (hic!) :beer: Anyway my BMI (which is now 33.8) has caused a mild case of non alcoholic fatty liver disease, so hopefully that will not be a problem.
By the way my hubby got his cholesterol down from 7 to 5 in a month with benecol products etc.....may be a good idea to cut down on fat, use cholesterol reducing substances and cut out the alcohol for a while as they will ask for tests to be repeated I feel sure. Good luck!! hang on in there its a long road!! :)

urbanproject Oct 1st 2006 3:07 am

I had my medicals before the whole thing changed last August, looks like they tightened up the whole thing :eek:

I'm sure I have seen on the NZIS website that you could read the notes available for the panel docs, I think it's called the handbook for medical examiners or something like that. Maybe they give the normal ranges accepted for blood tests :confused: Can't remember where it is on the immigration site though but doing a search might dig it up.

Fingers crossed for all of you and hopefully you will hear from NZIS soon :)

dreamfish Oct 1st 2006 10:23 am

Originally Posted by urbanproject
I had my medicals before the whole thing changed last August, looks like they tightened up the whole thing :eek:

I'm sure I have seen on the NZIS website that you could read the notes available for the panel docs, I think it's called the handbook for medical examiners or something like that. Maybe they give the normal ranges accepted for blood tests :confused: Can't remember where it is on the immigration site though but doing a search might dig it up.

Fingers crossed for all of you and hopefully you will hear from NZIS soon :)

oh sh*t :)

lol. ok will go dig out the document and see what it says :eek:

Frenchy Oct 1st 2006 12:41 pm

Here is the link :)

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...andbookweb.pdf

dreamfish Oct 1st 2006 2:11 pm

Sorry for hijacking the thread!!

Here are the results that i am worried about: (I am female btw)

MCHC is 29.5 (range 30-35)
(MCV was 95.5 and MCH was 28.1)

Creatinine - 113 (range 49-92)

Alkaline Phosphatase - 153 (range 35-104)
Alanine Transferase - 41 (range 10-35)

Gamma GT was within the upper end of the range at 32 (9-35)

Fasting Cholesterol - 5.6 (optimum <5.0)
LDL Cholesterol - 3.3 (up to 3.0)

Yes I am on the heavy side (too embarrassed to tell you my BMI) and the Gp has kindly written in my notes that I have recently (6 months) had a baby and I am breastfeeding still. I am also on BP tablets which I hear can also affect results.

I hope they will just put it down to me being overweight and I am not about to drop dead.