Waitakere City

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:20 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Waitakere City

Why not get hold of the latest edition of the "Where to Live in Auckland" book, full of useful information.

The advice to rent for a while when you get to Auckland is a sound one, everyone's perceptions are different and even yours will change after you've been there for a while. Waitakere emcompasses a wide variety of living conditions, some areas are less desirable than others.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Campbells
Yes,
That is definitely the way to go. It can be horrendously priced though. We were paying $750 a week ( after discount of paying two weeks n advance) for a wee cabin in Northcote just over the Harbour bridge north of Auckland.

That's ridiculous! You should be living in a mansion for that price, even in Northcote.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by worsley
Hi, my girlfriend and I have recently moved to Waitakere and just wondered if you are here or still in Berkshire as your profile says as it would be good to meet some people of a similar age.
I'm in Glen Eden!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by andy&georgina
Hi All

Been looking into areas again today and have come across Waitakere City.

Please can anyone offer any advice - good & bad points
  • Nice/bad areas to live?
  • General feel of the place?
  • Things to do day/night?
  • What are the beaches like?

You get the idea - all feedback welcome - also any pics if you happen to have them would be great

Thanks

Georgina & (Andy - he is let out of the cupboard today)

I could wax lyrical about Waitakere City all day long, I love it here!

Nicest area (to me) is Titirangi, especially if you get a nice view of sea and bush. There are a few bad areas, especially streets, but when you take a drive around and just "look," you'll be able to spot them and they are mainly in Henderson and Glen Eden. But I agree with the other poster, the "bad" areas here are prolly tame compared to some of the horrendous dumps one can come across in Britain.

I'd say the "general feel" of the place is pretty laid back and easy going. They like their recreation time here. There's plenty to do because of the National Park which is the massive rain forest and surfing beaches so if you like the outdoors, you'll love it here. I love driving around on scenic drive and then having lunch at the railway cafe in Swanson. There's great bush walks to waterfalls and terrific surfing beaches and cosy swimming bays that have almost no-one on them. I just discovered 2 new somewhat private bays last weekend that only locals know about and it was great! I was just about to go for a skinny dip and some guy comes strolling down walking his dog, lol.

And of course there's the vineyards and orchards which are nice to visit now and again. My favourite place is Titirangi village for the cafe life, it's lovely and totally chilled and relaxed there and everytime I'm there (which is often) I feel like I'm on holiday. I dunno about busy nightlife because I prefer to go into the (Auckland) City for that, but for everything else to "live" I think it's the best place in Auckland. I think the best swimming beaches are on the North Shore, but they don't have the unspoilt beauty of the rainforest that we have so this place is truly special and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Jan 22nd 2008 at 5:53 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dlmckay
go live on the North Shore where your neighbour's kitchen overlooks your bathroom
yeah exactly, and all the pohms are over there!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

and there aren't any in Titirangi?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
There's LOADS!!

Hooray, lol!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:02 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
there sure are and loads of mozzies........
got bitten to death there when we first arrived.
twas at a very nice pad though rented by a Pohm friend who must have been paying around $750 a week.......never had the cheek to ask her though
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lardyl
there sure are and loads of mozzies........
got bitten to death there when we first arrived.
twas at a very nice pad though rented by a Pohm friend who must have been paying around $750 a week.......never had the cheek to ask her though

Yeah. I hear ya. The mozzies suck out here in the West. I'm getting myself ready for full scale battle with mozzies.:curse:

I got the coils, sprays, and candles at the ready. I even got one of those Robocans from Mitre 10 that are auto spray bug killers and they work! I've only had it a few days but the flies and mozzies have disapeared! Best $50 bucks I've ever spent and should last til the end of summer!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

tonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Didn't really answer the question did I....

Down side....no bear or wine in the supermarkets!!!! (some silly council thing that I can't explain!)

Beaches...yep OK on West cost more Rugged surfing type, but pitureesque with volcanic black sand!!!

Going out at night...Auckland City is only just down the road if you need it...

General feel...I would say pretty laid back and relaxed...

Couldn't find any photos on the computer only one of the puppys 1st day at the beach... this is Piha
No beer or wine think we will forget that area then
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:28 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonyhelen
No beer or wine think we will forget that area then
There is no beer and wine in the supermarkets in Waitakere, true. This is not to say that West Auckland is dry. There is plenty of booze in pubs and there are enough liquor stores about to buy plonk, piss and firewater. The only thing is you can't buy wine and beer in the supermarkets because the licencing trust wants to have that slice of the action.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by happynz
There is no beer and wine in the supermarkets in Waitakere, true. This is not to say that West Auckland is dry. There is plenty of booze in pubs and there are enough liquor stores about to buy plonk, piss and firewater. The only thing is you can't buy wine and beer in the supermarkets because the licencing trust wants to have that slice of the action.
But then the money made by said Licencing Trust gets put back into the community - plenty of houses out west that now have fire alarms, torches and first aid kits now. They also give major donations to local community groups and then there's the lovely new stadium!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:49 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by dlmckay
But then the money made by said Licencing Trust gets put back into the community - plenty of houses out west that now have fire alarms, torches and first aid kits now. They also give major donations to local community groups and then there's the lovely new stadium!
Yup, nice things are done by the Licencing Trust.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happynz
Yup, nice things are done by the Licencing Trust.
That's good to hear, I never thought about all the "good" things they did, just too preoccupied being ticked off that they don't allow nice bars in Titirangi and the liquor stores out here close too early in the evening. :curse:
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
That's good to hear, I never thought about all the "good" things they did, just too preoccupied being ticked off that they don't allow nice bars in Titirangi and the liquor stores out here close too early in the evening. :curse:
I agree the licencing trust does do a lot for the community, but it grates on me to buy a bottle of fizzy Jacobs Creek for $17 when I could get on special at the for as little as $9, yes we should support the local individuals and not the international companies....but $8 saved would buy a smoke detector!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.