British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wairarapa Balloon Festival (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wairarapa-balloon-festival-523117/)

Maz Mar 20th 2008 5:47 am

Wairarapa Balloon Festival

Anyone else maybe planning on going to it? It's the weekend after Easter.

Catkin09 Mar 20th 2008 7:01 am

Re: Wairarapa Balloon Festival

We're planning on going :eek:

I think it will be lovely to look up at all those hot air balloons :thumbsup:

Where we lived in Yorkshire, there was quite a few balloons used to fly over. One day one of them lost a lot of altitude, just missed the top of our house and landed in a field just down the road :eek:

We had friends round and our hubbies said if we had stood outside talking at our usual rate, we could have helped them out. I think they meant we were talking a load of hot air as usual :blink::rofl::rofl:

Catkin

cappuccino Mar 20th 2008 7:19 am

oooh yes.. I read about that and fancied going. I'll tag along with you Maz if you are going:thumbup:

Maz Mar 20th 2008 10:45 am

Catkin, sounds lovely. :) There is/was a big balloon festival in Northampton (last place I lived in the UK) every year, wonderful! I counted 56 balloons in my field of vision at one time. :thumbsup:

M, you're on! If we go... ;) Still not 100%. Am trying to contact my mate out there to see if she'll be around.

leedge Mar 21st 2008 12:35 am

There's one in Levin this (Easter) weekend as well.

"Night glow" on Saturday evening around 7.30-ish - $8 for adults

Added bonus of not having to trail over the Rimutaka Hill road to get there as well :thumbup:

nelsonpom Mar 21st 2008 12:40 am

Originally Posted by leedge (Post 6091429)

Added bonus of not having to trail over the Rimutaka Hill road to get there as well :thumbup:

Be warned we went to the Levin one 2 years ago (night glow) and there were about 6 balloons and none take off. They fill them with hot air and then let them down again. Was expecting bit more....

Maz Mar 21st 2008 12:50 am

Originally Posted by leedge (Post 6091429)

Certainly a lot closer for you, hope it's great! :thumbup:

Originally Posted by nelsonpom (Post 6091457)
Be warned we went to the Levin one 2 years ago (night glow) and there were about 6 balloons and none take off. They fill them with hot air and then let them down again. Was expecting bit more....

That seems pretty pointless... :blink: :confused: :thumbdown:

leedge Mar 21st 2008 12:51 am

Thanks for the warning!

nelsonpom Mar 21st 2008 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 6091492)
Certainly a lot closer for you, hope it's great! :thumbup:

That seems pretty pointless... :blink: :confused: :thumbdown:

Well it kinda looked ok with the flames in the dark but....... Not even sure if balloons are allowed to take off at night for safety reasons.