British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wain ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wain-571472/)

BEVS Nov 6th 2008 5:01 am

Wain !

Is it ever going to stop raining? :eek:

It was so parky last evening , we even lit the fire .:ohmy: We're still going for hot water bottles on the feet late in the evening. No heat pump or central heating here.

Winter seems to have gone on forever really. We first lit the fire at the beginning of last June , although I had wanted to hold off until July. There was even snow on the Richmond Ranges this morning. Mind you , I do remember getting snowed on in Wanaka around early December of '97 so perhaps it isn't that unusual.

I can see bits of Spring poking through and when it stops raining for a bit, the day is quite warm but heck ! No wonder the place is so verdant.

P2L Nov 6th 2008 6:19 am

Re: Wain !

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6945344)

It was so parky last evening , we even lit the fire .:ohmy: We're still going for hot water bottles on the feet late in the evening. No heat pump or central heating here.

Winter seems to have gone on forever really. We first lit the fire at the beginning of last June , although I had wanted to hold off until July. There was even snow on the Richmond Ranges this morning. Mind you , I do remember getting snowed on in Wanaka around early December of '97 so perhaps it isn't that unusual.

I can see bits of Spring poking through and when it stops raining for a bit, the day is quite warm but heck ! No wonder the place is so verdant.

Snowing over the Lakes this afternoon, I can see down the valley to Rainbow from here. Do you think they might do a locals special for the weekend !!!:rofl:

squiddley Nov 6th 2008 6:29 am

Damp wet and foggy here...:frown: been like it for days...snow???? i wish :lol:

cally49 Nov 6th 2008 7:33 am

Its quite funny Bev i could honestly say that if i closed my eyes at times this year i could either be back on the West Coast of the South Island NZ or in Lincolnshire UK lol. The weather here in Nelson has seriously been crap my man has lived here all his life and said hes never known anything like it before.

I could imagine you getting snowed on in Wanaka but Nelson crikey my mate in Aus thet used to live here in Richmond thinks its hilarious that im sat here wearing a polar fleece wrapped in a blanket and shes just got out of the pool and is in her bikini:ohmy:

Maybe we could all light a bonfire on the beach and sit round toasting marshmallows lol.
Talk soon
Cally:)

Batty Nov 6th 2008 7:49 am

If it makes you feel any better we lit our first fire at the end of April! Softer up here don't you know! :D Tbh, every year I try to hold out for a week longer but it never works!

It's a bit colder up here the last couple of days and I did think we might need a fire this evening but it's grand.

IngStina Nov 6th 2008 2:42 pm

I'll be in Dunedin come the weekend so I've been checking the weather and darned if it isn't the same as we're having here with fresh snow up top and same temps. Thought I was heading somewhere warmer.:frown::D

Biddy Nov 6th 2008 11:45 pm

Not raining today, yay!
Snow on the ranges behind Levin though - 1st time for years this late in the year.

nukiwi Nov 6th 2008 11:57 pm

Its been raining on and off all day so far and now the sun is out :unsure:

We invested in a couple of electric blankets, as we have no heat pump or central heating either - best investment so far :thumbsup:

Who said the north island was warmer :rofl:

lardyl Nov 7th 2008 12:12 am

This:
http://www.metservice.com/default/in...ainfcst_3daynz
has more for early in the week for you guys.
Boots on the other foot for those in the "driest parts of NZ".
Will be very wet on the west coast of the Mainland on Sunday night by the forecast.....:thumbdown:
Not too be in AKL, in fact Spring's seemed pretty dry to my inexperienced eyes. We're used to plenty of rain up here at least......

lardyl Nov 7th 2008 12:12 am

Originally Posted by nukiwi (Post 6948174)
Its been raining on and off all day so far and now the sun is out :unsure:

We invested in a couple of electric blankets, as we have no heat pump or central heating either - best investment so far :thumbsup:

Who said the north island was warmer :rofl:

oh it is.....and sometimes drier than Nelson.........:lol:

nukiwi Nov 7th 2008 12:40 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6948212)
oh it is.....and sometimes drier than Nelson.........:lol:

Nelson would have been my first choice.... lets hope we went for the right island :lol:

lardyl Nov 7th 2008 1:45 am

Originally Posted by nukiwi (Post 6948258)
Nelson would have been my first choice.... lets hope we went for the right island :lol:

yeah, if its a bit cold down there and still then you have real smogs to contend with - bad for the asthma, etc..........welcome back to the 1950s........:thumbdown:

cally49 Nov 8th 2008 9:53 pm

Bev its still Waining!
In fact just about cold enough here in Nelson that we may just get a proper UK Xmas.............Complete with SNOW!!!!!!!!!! lmao:rofl:

BEVS Nov 8th 2008 10:41 pm

..and just for a change....

WAIN :eek:

The snow is back on the ranges. Flippin' freezing today. That fire is being lit tonight.

cally49 Nov 8th 2008 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6954165)
..and just for a change....

WAIN :eek:

The snow is back on the ranges. Flippin' freezing today. That fire is being lit tonight.

We've run out of WOOD! Oh my looks like its the hottie bottle for me and a couple of large Brandy's lol or maybe whisky would get me blood boiling just that little bit faster lol And me who doesnt drink much crikey good times! I shall be rolling round the office like this :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: