Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Waimakariri district

Waimakariri district

Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold
Default Waimakariri district

So I've had a good look around (on the Internet) and like this area. Would love to find out more about this area from someone who lives there.

What do do
Schools
Commute to the city
Beaches... My boys love to surf

Anything really!

Thanks
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waimakariri district

We live here. I love it

It covers from north Christchurch, north up the beach and also inland. Some of the beach facing villages got very very badly hit in the earthquakes as the ground is too soft, but if you move inland the ground is stoney river bed and is as stable as it gets for NZ. We live about 18km from the nearest beach and it doesn't take long to get ther - plus it's mostly empty. If you really want to be nearer the sea consider looking at the purpose built town Pegasus or other towns up SH1.

Inland scenery varies from flat to low hills with dramatic Southern Alps always in the background - my dream is to move out into the hills beyond Oxford but it's to far to commute to ChCh every day.

Properties in Waimakiriri are selling like hot cakes with property prices having gone up 9% in one year. This is mainly due to the perception that the ground is safe, plenty of mostly undamaged houses for sale, and lots of people wanting to move out of ChCh itself but still having to work there.

It only takes me 25 mins to get to the centre of ChCh, perhaps 40 if the traffic is bad. Rangiora is a cute town nearby, with everything you need really. Rangiora High School is supposed to be very good indeed - I know teachers there.

I have never seen anyone surfing out on these beaches though - maybe there are better ones for surfing in the ChCH area?

Others will be along shortly to advise, I am sure.

hth

Jan