Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Waikatoguy's Great Grocery Shop Comparison

Waikatoguy's Great Grocery Shop Comparison

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waikatoguy's Great Grocery Shop Comparison

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
And I fail to see what relevance Germany has with a comparison between NZ and UK grocery prices. It wasn't really intended as a thread to discuss which country is better than another. I'm sorry that NZ hasn't met your expectations, but please save that for another thread.
Here, here.

A general note on the comparison is that the price, to my mind, whilst more expensive in NZ isn't as bonkers as people would have you believe.

I think it acceptable.

Whilst I accept there is less choice, the very nature of the size of New Zealand, geographically and population wise means that choice has to be less, cost will be more. There are less consumers over a larger area and it makes sense for NZ business to make more money selling abroad that at home.

Thank you Waikatoguy.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Forget having just the weekly supermarket shop as a comparison to where costs more. Food is just the real basics………

Clothing….e.g. I bought a cardigan from glassons about 3 months ago for about $50. It has now got numerous holes all over it and not even on a seam where you think it would give. This is a result of combination poor quality/top loader washing machines. Gonna have to invest in even more laundry bags. A good ole M&S cardi you would probably be taking back if it did that after 3 months!

Books and DVDs – I can’t even consider buying them over here at the price that they cost. I have joined a library for the first time in years and am a regular at Civic.

Cinema – $17! I’ve not been on the cinema on a non-Tuesday in a long time! (although I have a feeling that its not all that different in the UK now I say that)

Eating out - $20 for the average café lunch plus $5 for coffee, $30-40 on dinner plus wine

Going for drinks – Beer $8-11 (or more!), Wine $8+++, Spirits $8++++ Cocktails – hmmmm I can’t remember what one of those is at $17++++

Holiday aboard………well I’ve not left NZ since I arrived March 2011 – lets put it that way!

Don’t get me wrong – lots of good things as well - amazing fresh mussels for next to nothing. Cheap and nice wine available from the supermarket. 3rd party fire and theft insurance for $4.50 a week, generally lots of free parking and plenty of it, little traffic.

I’m just trying to point out that I don’t think the weekly shop is indicative of which country is more or less expensive to live in. NZ is more expensive. Food is more expensive and so are most other things. This is what comes of living in country that has a small population and is really rather remote but still wants all the modern things like the rest of the western world. Its simple economics of supply and demand.

Saying all that – I am still choosing to live here and still enjoy my life here in the most part. If anything its done me a favour and made me less materialistic and think more about the purchases I do make – this can only be a good thing having been quite a shopaholic!

We all have good and bad days – I had a fantastic weekend full of all sorts of great things including amazing weather considering the time of year. Then last night I get the news that my best friends dad has passed away suddenly which has devastated me as they were my 2nd family and makes me wonder why I am over the other side of the world to them. But………..i’m going to get to talk to her tonight, and I know that things will get better again.

When I joined this forum I found it really really helpful. Theres some amazing information to be found here especially assisting people with all the initial immigration stuff. I think advice needs to be given balanced – positives and negatives but I’ve started reading less and less and contributing less and less to this forum, and its because I’m finding that the more negative posts I am reading is making me quite homesick and down about living in NZ. I stop reading those posts and start just embracing my time here. I think in the last couple of months – maybe its just in coinciding with Winter, there have been more and more people naysaying and doomsdaying on here. I agree everyone needs to have a vent sometimes but it does seem to be getting worse.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Tends to go in cycles Caz8NZ . It'll settle down. It always does.

Sorry to read about your best friend's Dad . Must have been a terrible sad shock. Hope you both have a good chat together this evening.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

i know - i've been trying to ignore all the whinging but i just had to let rip today.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
I know - I've been trying to ignore all the whinging but I just had to let rip today.
S'ok. You're as entitled as the next person.
Nice genteel 'rip' you did there.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
I’m just trying to point out that I don’t think the weekly shop is indicative of which country is more or less expensive to live in. NZ is more expensive. Food is more expensive and so are most other things. This is what comes of living in country that has a small population and is really rather remote but still wants all the modern things like the rest of the western world. Its simple economics of supply and demand.

Well said.

I too am sorry to hear of you and your best friends loss.