Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Waikato - pro's & con's please

Waikato - pro's & con's please

Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:52 pm
I'm going fishing .....

psa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant future
Default Waikato - pro's & con's please

Hi all,
We're trying to emigrate from Devon to NZ, well probably Waikato, and Cambridge more than likely as OH has her heart set on that area after falling in love with it on our last trip out at Christmas/New Year past.

She is popping over again in October to assess Cambridge and surrounding area's in depth for housing, work, etc. As she is a Primary School Teacher she will also approach the local schools while she is over there.

If anyone with some knowledge of the area and/or handy hints could let us know we would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.
Paul (psa2570) & Fiona (j19fmm)
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:32 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Waikato - pro's & con's please

Hi there,
we moved from West country too, from Cwll, last Oct, we live in Papamoa, and although I can't offer you any tips or info on Cambridge, just wanted to say, we think its beautiful there too, has a wonderful feel to the place, and no-one I have met, has a bad word to say about it.
So I hope you get on well, I'm sure your OH will have no problem securing work.
Good luck.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Cambridge is a beautiful small town with a good community feel. It is about 15 mins from Hamilton with all the facilities you could need.

Waikato is great in that it is scenic but not by NZ standards. Hence it is not on the tourist route, and Hamilton is a great city to live in. Having said that, if I wanted a slightly quieter life, Cambridge would beckon.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marika 38
Hi there,
we moved from West country too, from Cwll, last Oct, we live in Papamoa, and although I can't offer you any tips or info on Cambridge, just wanted to say, we think its beautiful there too, has a wonderful feel to the place, and no-one I have met, has a bad word to say about it.
So I hope you get on well, I'm sure your OH will have no problem securing work.
Good luck.
Thanks for your kind words. Tauranga and the Bay of Plenty area was also a consideration as it looks great, but Cambridge is her first choice and has been for some time. OH has relatives living in Palmerston North, Hamilton, Auckland, North Shore City and Helensville, so Cambridge is close-ish to most of them. Well, closer than Tavistock anyway
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:03 am
I'm going fishing .....

psa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Thanks for your kind words. Tauranga and the Bay of Plenty area was also a consideration as it looks great, but Cambridge is her first choice and has been for some time. OH has relatives living in Palmerston North, Hamilton, Auckland, North Shore City and Helensville, so Cambridge is close-ish to most of them. Well, closer than Tavistock anyway

Ooops, that should've been me. Didn't realise OH had left herself logged in.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:06 am
I'm going fishing .....

Originally Posted by littleal
Cambridge is a beautiful small town with a good community feel. It is about 15 mins from Hamilton with all the facilities you could need.

Waikato is great in that it is scenic but not by NZ standards. Hence it is not on the tourist route, and Hamilton is a great city to live in. Having said that, if I wanted a slightly quieter life, Cambridge would beckon.
Sounds good, but does that mean at 38 I'm at least 30 years too young for Cambridge, is it the NZ version of Bournemouth
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by psa2570
Sounds good, but does that mean at 38 I'm at least 30 years too young for Cambridge, is it the NZ version of Bournemouth
No - I'm 38 too . However we have two daughters and I don't fancy spending the next 15 years running a taxi service between Cambridge & Hamilton.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:50 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Waikato- fabulously situated- central to everything really so you can get to BoP beaches or the mountains or Auckland without too much bother

Cambridge- only heard rave reviews from Expats.

Good choice- enjoy
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littleal
No - I'm 38 too . However we have two daughters and I don't fancy spending the next 15 years running a taxi service between Cambridge & Hamilton.
That's a good point, my step daughter is 11 and her brother 9 so that could well be a scenario we'll have to get used to. We live in Devon and the nearest decent nightlife is 15 miles away in Plymouth so we'd have that scenario eventually, whether we move or not really i suppose.

Thank you for your views, most people on here are so kind.
My OH seems to spend half her waking hours after work on this site and she's gleaned so much info from so many people, that would've cost us a small fortune otherwise, it's untrue.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:18 am
I'm going fishing .....

Originally Posted by j19fmm
That's a good point, my step daughter is 11 and her brother 9 so that could well be a scenario we'll have to get used to. We live in Devon and the nearest decent nightlife is 15 miles away in Plymouth so we'd have that scenario eventually, whether we move or not really i suppose.

Thank you for your views, most people on here are so kind.
My OH seems to spend half her waking hours after work on this site and she's gleaned so much info from so many people, that would've cost us a small fortune otherwise, it's untrue.
Arrgh !!! she left herself logged in again, i get usually grunted at for doing that
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:19 am
I'm going fishing .....

Originally Posted by psa2570
Arrgh !!! she left herself logged in again, i get usually grunted at for doing that
Well, that doesn't make sense. Usually and get are back to front, is English really my first language ? will I be able to prove it to NZIS with grammar like that
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:49 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Waikato- fabulously situated- central to everything really so you can get to BoP beaches or the mountains or Auckland without too much bother

Cambridge- only heard rave reviews from Expats.

Good choice- enjoy
Hahaha! Having a last minute panic about location choice so thought I'd do a little research on here and who do I find giving a favourable opinion on where we now find ourselves headed ...