Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Waikanae - tell me all!

Waikanae - tell me all!

Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Waikanae - tell me all!

Any info/all info on Waikanae gratefully received!

Schools (Kapanui or Waikanae?), commuting (bus/train?), beach, flooding etc.....
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:33 pm
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of
Default Re: Waikanae - tell me all!

Where do I begin...?
I'm guessig you know where the best small town in NZ is located and you probably know it has the most awesome beach in all of NZ.
Trains? There is a train that goes to and from Wellington everyday. YES you read correctly - ONE!
However this is set to change with the arrival of electric to the Waikanae next year. Then we are promised 3 or 4 trains every hour to Wellington.
Roads? The roads can get blocked due to extreme weather or the weekly exodus from Wellington to the North. Two sets of traffic lights play havoc on SH1 (state highway one) and cause tail backs ro Raumati most Fridays. However there is a new Western Link Road www.westernlinkroad.co.nz being built to solve this problem.
Anything else?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much. Do you know anything about schools? We've made an appointment to see Kapanui school when we arrive as well as Raumati Beach, Paraparaumu Beach school and Kena Kena.

Also, there appear to be coaches/buses from Waikanae to Wellington (Kapiti Commuter). Are these reliable/used much?

Is the train reliable, do most people get it from Paraparaumu?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on the commute from Waikenae, but during peak commute hours you're looking at about 7 trains between Paraparaumu and wellington taking about 50mins...
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

Hi

Waikanae is lovely little place and nice commuting distance to Wellington, however as per previous post, roads can be hectic well if you could call it a road, its more like a piece of tarmac with 2 lanes ha ha
Beautiful views of the coast too.

The commute distance I did a couple of weeks ago from Paraparaumu and it did take approx 45mins and that was through the day so it wasnt overly busy. Not too sure what it would be like at peak times.
The train is hilarious it is like something back in yonder days and I think it was $10 return to Welly.

I have friends that were going to put there son in the Raumati school which I believe is the best in the area, however they had to change him to Para school as the rental fell through they were getting. However equally a good school. Dont know much about the other schools.
If you need any info on the Paraparumu school I will ask my friends for updates
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

kiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nice

The new train routes are ontrack for next year, excuse the pun. Waikane is indeed hosting some of the many frequent trains
Waikanae you either love or hate, personally wasn’t suitable for our family needs
I can see where it suits families with young children, and the older generation. The houses appear to have more land area and it is more tranquil
For the road access there is to be a western link road, from Raumati to Waikanae, easing the traffic congestion
I think I have posted this previously, but you have to be zoned for the schools
Well thumbs up from us, for Paraparaumu beach school. I do believe that Raumati school got a great reputation
Commuting is an every day occurrence and life in New Zealand for many; you just make the most, be on the train with a book or listening to your MP3 player, or in the car driving past the lovely coastal views
Good luck and be happy to PM, with any other questions

D
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all. We're going to see the 4 schools just before the 2 week break and then hopefully that way it'll give us 2 weeks to find a suitable rental. We have friends who are very happy with Raumati Beach school (and I like the idea of a uniform unlike the kids!) but there seems less property around there.

Waikanae property seems tempting but it may be too quiet for the kids as they grow up.

Thanks again - I shall no doubt post further queries!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:37 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

You will be seeing Bruce Macdonald at Kena Kena he is the best Head Master on the coast by far say hello from the Arnolds.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:27 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Ah Waikanae......on the beautiful Kapiti Coast... great area if you don't mind the commute (probably just over an hour door to door in an office at the Parliment end of the city) (or better work locally or in Porirua) - thanks for the info on the trains getting more frequent - might influence our choice of where to live when we buy a house

....If you are intersted in football Waikanae has a good club. We (Seatoun) love playing a pre season game up there.....

....ooh and can I reccomend the bar on the beach at Raumati (whatever it's called)....right on the sand with a sunny terrace overlooking Kapiti island - a beer / cold wine in the setting sun (and the kids can play on the beach or in the indoor pool)
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

kiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nice

The bar at Raumati may be called Waterfront

D
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Rosiesue is a jewel in the roughRosiesue is a jewel in the roughRosiesue is a jewel in the roughRosiesue is a jewel in the rough

Hi Moso,

Like you, we thought we would probably live in Raumati when we moved here. However, we found the houses/sections smaller than the properties that we could buy for the same money in Waikanae. At first I wasn't keen on the idea as I thought it would be a bit quiet, but it grew on me the more times we visited as it seemed, greener, more spacious and more relaxed than Raumati and Paraparaumu.

We bought our house here 2 1/2 years ago and certainly don't regret it. It is a lovely friendly town with a great sense of community. We are about 7 mins from the hills, river, and beach. We can walk to school and kindy and my husband can cycle to the train station each morning to catch the one and only train.

The train leaves at approx 7.25am and get back at approx 6.20pm. Most of the time it is reliable, but every now and then it is spectaculerly late (not as bad as the UK trains though ). There are buses but I think that they also go quite early in the morning. There is always the option of the 10 min drive/bus to Paraparaumu and take the train from there.

I also thought that we would be taking regular trips into wellington for shopping etc, but we haven't needed to. Most of what we need can be bought here or in Paraparaumu, or Porirua(about 20 mins drive) , for a bit more choice

How old are your children? It is probably a bit quiet for teenagers, but for younger children, it offers a great active lifestyle.

Both Kapanui and Waikanae schools are really good. We looked at them both last year when my son started school, and we found that they both had a lot to offer. They are zoned, see the following links for zone maps:
http://www.kapanui.school.nz/files/0...one_Map_2_.jpg
http://www.waikanae.school.nz/page/2

I think that once the trains are increased next year and the new road is created through to Paraparaumu, then house prices are going to shoot up in Waikanae.

As you can see, I am a bit of a fan of Waikanae now. I certainly didn't expect to be when we first came over, but it grows on you.

If you fancy meeting up for coffee after you arrived then just give me a shout.
Attached Thumbnails Waikanae - tell me all!-dscf0136.jpg  
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:05 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

I can echo all the above re Waikanae. We've been here (well 5ks North) for about 4 years and we love it. Couldn't imagine living anywhere else.
My wife is on the board of trustees at Kapanui and our 3 kids go there and it's a great school. Both it and Waikanae school have very good reputations but unfortunately are very near full. The govt have accepted this and I believe there are plans afoot to build a new primary or intermediate in the next few years. There are some good schools in Raumati (Raumati Beach) and Paraparam (Kena Kena, Kapiti).

Raumati is lovely but I personally don't like Paraparam much - I find it a bit over developed with smaller sections and houses crammed up against each other (bit of a generalisation!)

Waikanae has a good sporting scene for youngsters with thriving rugby, soccer and cricket clubs. Seniors too - I play in the old fogies (presidents) cricket on Saturdays. The local rugby team hs just won the Kapiti / Horowhenua league. Netball is played at Paraparam. There is a good golf course, tennis, bowls, plenty of playgrounds and other such diversions. The outdoor swimming pool is open about 7 months of the year and is right next to Kapanui and v popular in the summer.

As has been already mentioned W has recently been voted the best small town in NZ. Popn of about 9000. 2 supermarkets, plenty of cafes & fish n chips and all the other shops you'd expect. Bigger shopping you'd need to travel about 10 mins to Paraparam for big electrical stuff, shoes, most clothing etc.

I don't commute but many do either by train from W or P or by car.

W is a growing community with many new devts underway but still retains a large village feel. It's pretty safe with very low crime. State H 1 gives good access both N and S.

Overall I'd thoroughly recommend it and feel free to pm me if you want more info!! I know plenty of real estate agents and now is a really good time to buy with forecasts of %20+ growth over the next few years for NZ as a whole.

Cheers

Mike
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Catz is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to echo what's already been said - we've been in Waikanae for over 3 years, down by the beach for 2 & can't imagine living anywhere else. There's just the two of us so don't know about the schools. I love its size and sense of community, and there's enough to do to keep us happy. Welly's only an hour away, so close enough to get to gigs and comedy shows when we want to!

I commute (driving) to Lower Hutt during the week for work, and it takes me a little over an hour each way - I don't find it too bad - unless there's an accident, or the weather is such that all my routes home get closed!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 3:21 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone has answered everything already although I really doubt there will be any more than 2 services an hour from Waikanae other than maybe at peak times. I think what they are essentially planning on is what would be a service starting at paraparaumu will now start at waikanae. Correct me if I am wrong??

I find travelling by train quite relaxing for the most part. What I find difficult is when I have to then transfer to a bus to get to work. And then again in the evening. I end up spending a bit of time just waiting around for things (buses, trains, walking home). And I live close to Wellington.

But I guess once you are used to your timings etc it's not so bad. If you leave at a regular time each day it's ok
Old Aug 20th 2009, 3:47 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
What I find difficult is when I have to then transfer to a bus to get to work. .
I think if you work in the Beehive you can walk from the train station - but I'm the same as you, I work just of Courtney Place (no not at Mermaids before anyone says)

...I would love to know from the guys who live on the Kapiti Coast, and work in Wellington how long it really does take 'door to door' and if it is 'doable' every day because I'd really consider moving there when we buy a house, if it is

* I guess in Paraparamu the station is not near the beach, so you either live close to one or the other which could add to the commute time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.