British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is Waiheke Island suitable to live?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/waiheke-island-suitable-live-682979/)

macerson456 Aug 27th 2010 11:47 am

Is Waiheke Island suitable to live??

Hi Everyone

My partner and I are looking into moving to New Zealand, I want to move to the warmest part if possible, from internet research is Waiheke Island suitable?? Any infomation about the island would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
macerson456

MattandJax Aug 27th 2010 9:32 pm

Re: Is Waiheke Island suitable to live??

Originally Posted by macerson456 (Post 8807032)
Hi Everyone

My partner and I are looking into moving to New Zealand, I want to move to the warmest part if possible, from internet research is Waiheke Island suitable?? Any infomation about the island would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
macerson456

Depends where you work, if you work in the CBD then I would say yes as it's only 35 mins on the ferry. Ferry is $32 return (sure to go up in October with GST increase), or $315 for a monthly pass.

House prices can be quite expensive, however I believe you can also make a killing renting out your property for a couple of weeks in the height of the school holidays!!

We would love to live there but the lack of nursing jobs on the island and the long commute to Matt's work doesn't make it practical.

luvwelly Aug 29th 2010 7:49 am

What about seasickness on rough days? You can't drive round as an alternative unlike Eastbourne in Wellington.

lapsed kiwi Aug 29th 2010 10:28 am

The waters between Waiheke and Auckland are very sheltered - there is never really any swell and the ferries are catamarans that cut through the sea anyway. It would have to be an exceptionally stormy day for the ride to get uncomfortable I think
I work in Devonport and some of the guys at work commute in from Waiheke, it is meant to be a great place to live if you like the quiet life and beautiful beaches

bigbluesky Aug 29th 2010 5:32 pm

Hi, we are also interested in living on Waiheke island but wondered if anyone knows how you would get your container across, would they unload it in Auckland and split it up into smaller loads, or can they take the whole container still sealed over?

jmh Aug 29th 2010 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by bigbluesky (Post 8811403)
Hi, we are also interested in living on Waiheke island but wondered if anyone knows how you would get your container across, would they unload it in Auckland and split it up into smaller loads, or can they take the whole container still sealed over?

There is a car ferry service to the Island which would take trucks, but not sure about containers. Here's a website, I would contact them directly:

http://www.waihekeshipping.co.nz/fares.php

I would love to live on Waiheke (my mum has two properties there and I have visited for years). It is a bit quiet though. I'm curious to know what the commute is like for people having to do it every day. The trip is lovely on a calm sunny day but what's it like in winter?

Expat Kiwi Aug 29th 2010 11:19 pm

macerson456 you need to research the cost of a monthly ticket, the times of the first and last ferries, look at the quality of the schools if you have kids, how much it would cost the family to get off the island at weekends and during holidays and know that it's not just rough seas that can disrupt sailings - fog can be an problem at times too.

sirplug Aug 30th 2010 6:49 am

Another thing that may affect living on an island, is the increased costs of goods and services, due to transport across the sea.