British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Waiheke island schools?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/waiheke-island-schools-756086/)

Cathhenley Apr 24th 2012 7:38 pm

Waiheke island schools??

Hi, just wondered if any one knows any thing about the schools on waiheke island. We will be moving here in July and I have a 6 year old daughter. Any thoughts or feelings would be really interesting, many thanks :)

Nice Guy Apr 24th 2012 9:12 pm

Waiheke island schools????????????????

Cannot say I have first hand experience so to speak, but as Google is your mate I had a little look round.

Although the population of the island is 8000 I do not think there is a dearth of schools there for a tot your age.

I found this one :

http://www.tehuruhi.school.nz/

perhaps good as a starting point and this one as well :

http://www.waiheke.school.nz/

Also another point of interest is (I believe) that the island is also the residence of the other chap from Frankie Goes To Hollywood popular singing group, named Paul Rutherford.

Jolly good luck with your move!

Cathhenley Apr 25th 2012 6:53 am

Re: Waiheke island schools????????????????

Totally lovely of you to go to the trouble of looking up schools for me, thank you nice guy.

cappuccino Apr 25th 2012 7:25 am

I don't know how many schools there are on Waiheke but when I last visited (early this year) I remember one road of schools (primary and secondary) in Surfdale (near the car ferry). It was very busy at 'home time' :rofl:

j19fmm Apr 25th 2012 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Nice Guy (Post 10023524)
Also another point of interest is (I believe) that the island is also the residence of the other chap from Frankie Goes To Hollywood popular singing group, named Paul Rutherford.

Excellent random information Nice Guy x

Snap Shot Apr 25th 2012 9:17 am

I read that fact out to my husband as his mum owns a plot of land on Waiheke Island.

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 25th 2012 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 10024170)
Excellent random information Nice Guy x

I :wub:Nice Guy. He's just a jolly nice guy.

janeyk Apr 26th 2012 8:46 pm

from what I believe the primary schools are ok but secondary not too hot! many children at this age come accross on the ferry and go to central Auckland schools including Auckland Grammer. I have a freind that has just moved off the island for that reason still maintains a home but for weekends only

Onetangiman Jun 6th 2012 3:31 am

Hi - just saw your question, so quickly joined to reply. I've lived on the island for 5 1/2 years now (Ex Grimsby - so extremely simliar...lol).

Anyway - schools, Te Huruhi and Waiheke Primary are both sweet. The High School has great teachers and fairly dreadful leadership. However, the Head is reportedly moving to the UK soon.... so by the time your daughter gets there, things should be better!

Friends moved here in 2008 with a 7 year old - normal in every way and a lovely kid, academically she was way ahead, socially, a bit less. That's not unusual!

Feel free to ask anything else about the island though. :)

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Cathhenley Jun 6th 2012 4:28 pm

Thank you so much for replying :D
I have a trillion questions to ask about the island, I suppose the biggest one is do you think it's a good place to raise kids? From here in England it looks and sounds like paradise! When you mentioned your friends child being less social did you mean that in comparison to the kids on waiheke?
Me and my kids won't be there till September now but husband will be out in June, feeling the fear just wish I could visit, strange thing is also feel like its absolutely the right place for us!! Thanks again x

julesnye Jun 7th 2012 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Cathhenley (Post 10103893)
Thank you so much for replying :D
I have a trillion questions to ask about the island, I suppose the biggest one is do you think it's a good place to raise kids? From here in England it looks and sounds like paradise! When you mentioned your friends child being less social did you mean that in comparison to the kids on waiheke?
Me and my kids won't be there till September now but husband will be out in June, feeling the fear just wish I could visit, strange thing is also feel like its absolutely the right place for us!! Thanks again x

One thing I've heard of that might have an impact on your decision is the lack of fresh water and this is year in year out, but hey I dont live there so maybe one of the others can confirm or not:confused:

Onetangiman Jun 9th 2012 5:38 am

Yep, it is a great place to raise kids, very very safe. It took my friends a little while to get comfortable with it being safe for the kids to walk/cycle to school alone at 8 (or younger). The social thing was probably more to do with everyone knowing everyone, and that comes quick enough. You'll be sweet!

As for the water, there isn't a reticulated water supply on the island, so you collect rainwater from the roof, (or buy a tankful from one of the water companies) and have a sceptic system in the garden. You have to be a little careful on your water consumption, but it makes no odds to how you live. Feel free to ask away on anything else :)

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 10th 2012 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Onetangiman (Post 10108943)
Yep, it is a great place to raise kids, very very safe. It took my friends a little while to get comfortable with it being safe for the kids to walk/cycle to school alone at 8 (or younger). The social thing was probably more to do with everyone knowing everyone, and that comes quick enough. You'll be sweet!

As for the water, there isn't a reticulated water supply on the island, so you collect rainwater from the roof, (or buy a tankful from one of the water companies) and have a sceptic system in the garden. You have to be a little careful on your water consumption, but it makes no odds to how you live. Feel free to ask away on anything else :)

Sorry, but this made me :lol:

jmh Jun 10th 2012 2:00 am

Don't have to pay water rates though!

Bo-Jangles Jun 11th 2012 7:59 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 10110032)
Don't have to pay water rates though!

Yeah, that's really gonna swing it. Water rates $140 for a whole year versus how much to buy a tank full of water, maintain septic system, filters, run a pump and have you roof and gutters washed regularly. :lol: