British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wages in NZ (correction officers) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wages-nz-correction-officers-333323/)

Robbo's Oct 24th 2005 3:48 pm

Wages in NZ (correction officers)

Ok so we have all been told that $38,000 in New Zealand is an extremley s-#t wage. I think this has pretty much been drilled into all of us warders that are hoping to do the big move. ( read the thread with the title "warders beware")
What I would like to know as a family of 3 is how we would be financially moving over there with £65,000 ($170,000) to put down as a deposit on a house. Me earning $38,000 per year, my missus earning $25,000 and having a mortgage of $230,000.
Would we be financially stable or not ?? :scared:

Boopy Oct 24th 2005 4:35 pm

Re: Wages in NZ (correction officers)

Hi Robbo,

I suppose it would depend on what area you'd be living in.

Boopy

Debs70 Oct 24th 2005 11:42 pm

I recon you would struggle just about anywhere in NZ. Where were you think of going? we lived in Dunedin and although classed as a 'cheaper' place, we still struggled. Don't travel 12K miles and wave goodbye to your family for New Zealand... it aint worth it.

Gill and Rob Oct 25th 2005 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Robbo's
Ok so we have all been told that $38,000 in New Zealand is an extremley s-#t wage. I think this has pretty much been drilled into all of us warders that are hoping to do the big move. ( read the thread with the title "warders beware")
What I would like to know as a family of 3 is how we would be financially moving over there with £65,000 ($170,000) to put down as a deposit on a house. Me earning $38,000 per year, my missus earning $25,000 and having a mortgage of $230,000.
Would we be financially stable or not ?? :scared:

What would you wife be doing to earn $25,000 per year?
The first year in NZ is more expensive than many anticipate. Are you needing to buy cars out of the £65,000? How old is the third member of the house hold?, will you have childcare costs? Where are you moving to?

Finacially stable? depends on the answers above.
Cheers
Gill

Robbo's Oct 25th 2005 9:18 am

Hi Guys.
Firstly, thanks for the responses (didnt expect any this quickly). I have been offered a job near Te-Awamutu (waikeria prison). So we would be looking to live in this sort of area within a 20 mile radius of my work. Maybe Hamilton, cambridge, even Te-Awamutu itself.
We would not be using any of the £65,000 to buy cars, that money would be to put down on a house (we have put 10k to one side to buy a couple of motors).
We are a family of 3. My wife and I are both in our mid 20's and we have a son who is 2. My wife is currently having her qualifacations assessed to see if they are recognised in NZ. She is a qualified nursery nurse and has been running her own nursery here in the uk. She would like to work part time, maybe 3 days a week. She has been in contact with nursery's in the hamilton area and based on her experience and qual's they have basically offered her a job.

we dont have a big social life. Certianly not big spenders. So it's back to that big question. Will we be financially stable ????????

PLEASE HELP

mumomonty Oct 25th 2005 8:37 pm

Hi Guys.
Firstly, thanks for the responses (didnt expect any this quickly). I have been offered a job near Te-Awamutu (waikeria prison). So we would be looking to live in this sort of area within a 20 mile radius of my work. Maybe Hamilton, cambridge, even Te-Awamutu itself.
We would not be using any of the £65,000 to buy cars, that money would be to put down on a house (we have put 10k to one side to buy a couple of motors).
We are a family of 3. My wife and I are both in our mid 20's and we have a son who is 2. My wife is currently having her qualifacations assessed to see if they are recognised in NZ. She is a qualified nursery nurse and has been running her own nursery here in the uk. She would like to work part time, maybe 3 days a week. She has been in contact with nursery's in the hamilton area and based on her experience and qual's they have basically offered her a job.

we dont have a big social life. Certianly not big spenders. So it's back to that big question. Will we be financially stable ????????

PLEASE HELP

I personally wouldn't do it but out of those towns, Te Awamutu i s the cheapests and most local and it aint bad really. Got everything you need.
I still think you will struggle. They're desperate here for screws and coppers and you'd have to wonder why the locals aren't taking these jobs. They're short of cells and keeping crims in vans too. I saw this on teletext this very morning.
Don't say good bye to a stable life and if you do then expect it to be tough financially and emotionally. If you can keep your house on and do it for 2 years then do that but don't sell up.

ranbysue Oct 25th 2005 9:12 pm

Interesting thread as we are in the same predicament but not intending to sell our house. However, the outlook in the UK regarding lifestyle long term is not looking rosy. Lots of crime in the cities - bad gun crime, riots with blacks and asians in Birmingham over the weekend resulting in two people killed by gangs of youths running the streets and a massive exodus of graduates (1 in 6) leaving the UK each year to go abroad, that's not to mention the families. Canada and the US being the most popular thus leaving a brain drain here. 474,000 immigrants applied for asylum in the Uk last year and many of these from 3rd world countries or were poorly educated, according to statistics, this doesn't take a mathematician to work out that we are losing our academic people to be replaced with what in the corporate job market?

I want my children to grow up where common sense and respect prevails and where they can walk the streets in safety without the threat of a gang of youths jumping on to them. We live in a lovely quiet town in the Midlands which doesn't see much of this type of trouble but for how much longer. We have already seen the secondary schools in our town become lawless. Teachers have got no authority anymore and the kids know it, so do as they like. The police are forced by the Government to be pro criminal these days.

What would YOU do?

Ps.... I saw the bit in the NZ Herald newspaper about the criminals being left in vans. That would be classed as an absolute outrage in the UK as it would be against the prisoners Human Rights. Plus they wouldn't have their a telly or kettle in the van like they do in their cells here, and that just wouldn't do!

Robbo's Oct 25th 2005 9:44 pm

Very interesting Sue and very true. No we dont like the idea of bringing our kid up in this country either, and it's only getting worse.
What was mentioned about locking them up in vans over night made me laugh and no we wouldnt get away with that here in the Uk as that would be very very nasty of us to lock them poor criminals up in a van without their tv or playstation.
This country in my opinion really is a mess and i'm sure that 99% of you out there agree with me.
Anyway, as a family we have every intention of giving NZ a go. I'll just have to remember to stay away from parked up cop vans with screaming prisoners inside.
C ya

Andrew Cross Oct 25th 2005 10:39 pm

Very interesting Sue and very true. No we dont like the idea of bringing our kid up in this country either, and it's only getting worse.
What was mentioned about locking them up in vans over night made me laugh and no we wouldnt get away with that here in the Uk as that would be very very nasty of us to lock them poor criminals up in a van without their tv or playstation.
This country in my opinion really is a mess and i'm sure that 99% of you out there agree with me.
Anyway, as a family we have every intention of giving NZ a go. I'll just have to remember to stay away from parked up cop vans with screaming prisoners inside.
C ya

HERE HERE AND SO SAY ALL OF US !!!!! :rolleyes:

K9s Oct 25th 2005 11:52 pm

C ya

For he's a jolly good fellow, and so say all of us!!!!!! :beer:

ranbysue Oct 26th 2005 5:13 pm

But what do the NZ's think of the UK compared to New Zealand?

Debs70 Oct 26th 2005 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by ranbysue
But what do the NZ's think of the UK compared to New Zealand?

Don't know how they 'compare' the two but from what we heard, they seem to see the UK as a fun place.. we met a few older people who had children in the UK (or had been here) and also met some who had been themselves. These people had nothing but positives to say about the UK. However, there are then the ones who have never been and who seem to think the UK is covered in smog and we all roll our trousers up, put a knotted hankie on our heads and go for a paddle in the sea :D they also seem to be unaware of central heating (true), because whenever we mentioned it, they looked at us blankly.

ladylisa Oct 26th 2005 6:51 pm

C ya

The Daily Mail has alot to answer for :rolleyes:

melting pot Oct 26th 2005 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Debs70
Don't know how they 'compare' the two but from what we heard, they seem to see the UK as a fun place.. we met a few older people who had children in the UK (or had been here) and also met some who had been themselves. These people had nothing but positives to say about the UK. However, there are then the ones who have never been and who seem to think the UK is covered in smog and we all roll our trousers up, put a knotted hankie on our heads and go for a paddle in the sea :D they also seem to be unaware of central heating (true), because whenever we mentioned it, they looked at us blankly.

Yes I have a friend working in London,and loving it,the history the diversity of things....she came on a work visa was going to do 2 yrs,now been 3 and wants to at least another 2. she has traveled all over the uk,europe....and has only good things to say about the experience...says money is good,terms of employment good,she has 6weeks hol,a far cry from the 3 wks she was getting in NZ. And finds the cost of living cheaper !! wow...even in London. She also is honest too about how NZ has changed...and although its not the easiest place to live...its home,and where her family and friends are so will return one day.