Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wages compared to living costs, help???

Wages compared to living costs, help???

Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wages compared to living costs, help???

Originally Posted by mikisue
I found that by searching Google for a cost of living calculator there are various available, one worked out what you need for your individual standard of living on each of many categories and then added income tax to this to work out your required salary. (I did put a link the last time I posted this but my post was removed so I am assuming that was not allowed). I am just starting the process so have no idea how accurate this calculator is but it suggested that $61k would just suffice for a family of 4.

I hope this helps
As lots have said, it will depend on where you live. My Husband started off on a very low $47,000 about 2 years ago and because it was similiar to what he was on in Ireland we thought it would be fine. Slightly different for us because we brought $300,000 cash with us so we had very little mortgage to pay. Salary does rise however over time. And as lots have said, it is do-able!!! I'm honestly still in shock at how much people spend. I know its expensive here but yesterday for instance I got my power bill in and it was the lowest ever - $66.00!!!!! Yes my hubby is a sparky so we have all low energy light bulbs and have worked out the cheapest way to light and heat our home so maybe that has alot to do with it but hey I'm delighted that we get to live the life we deserve and manage it well under the cost that others do!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

HHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really nice

Hi all

thanks for your responses - Genesis, duly noted and very helpful

Cheers

HH
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikisue
I found that by searching Google for a cost of living calculator there are various available, one worked out what you need for your individual standard of living on each of many categories and then added income tax to this to work out your required salary. (I did put a link the last time I posted this but my post was removed so I am assuming that was not allowed). I am just starting the process so have no idea how accurate this calculator is but it suggested that $61k would just suffice for a family of 4.

I hope this helps
thanks,
can't talk
googling !
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mudblood21
I thought that in the UK plumbers were among the better paid! I am surprised that plumbers would be on a low wage in NZ.
Don't be surprised. It is how it is for the employed plumber. An hourly rate of $26 is really very, very good. Husband started on $21 but we know those that have been started on around $18.

The chances of a newbie overseas plumber ( read that as especially a Pommy plumber with little NZ experience and not NZ craftsman standard ) teaching New Zealand plumbing is ...well... unlikely.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 21st 2010 at 8:23 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BEVS
Don't be surprised. It is how it is for the employed plumber. An hourly rate of $26 is really very, very good. Husband started on $21 but we know those that have been started on around $18.

The chances of a newbie overseas plumber ( read that as especially a Pommy plumber with little NZ experience and not NZ craftsman standard ) teaching New Zealand plumbing is ...well... unlikely.
that makes sense - obvious really, not all teaching can translate.... Shakespeare is Shakespeare wherever you go, but plumbing regs will be different! sorry- but at least i tried
(no one can say I am not 'trying'! )
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

just to add to general mix of info.

45K for a family.. is not going to be much fun..
you will spend allot of time counting dollars and cents and doing all the activities that are free.. eg the scenery.. of which there is lots to choose from

I'd say for a family of 4 or 5.. a family income of $80k would allow a bit extra to have hols.. and not worry about a budget.

Now i am in a fortunate position of bringing in a least double that and yes.. times are good

but

my first wage was about $28K and that was rough..
once you are here.. opportunities are there for the taking if you apply yourself.. in 8 short years.. i've gone from $28K to average income of about $180K - 200K.. with my best year netting $250K

dont give up on the dream.. plan.. be aware of what you will have to do in the short term.. and go for it.
If i had been short sighted to think that $28K was my lot.. id have missed out on a huge opportunity just a few years down the track
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeepSix
just to add to general mix of info.

45K for a family.. is not going to be much fun..
you will spend allot of time counting dollars and cents and doing all the activities that are free.. eg the scenery.. of which there is lots to choose from

I'd say for a family of 4 or 5.. a family income of $80k would allow a bit extra to have hols.. and not worry about a budget.

Now i am in a fortunate position of bringing in a least double that and yes.. times are good

but

my first wage was about $28K and that was rough..
once you are here.. opportunities are there for the taking if you apply yourself.. in 8 short years.. i've gone from $28K to average income of about $180K - 200K.. with my best year netting $250K

dont give up on the dream.. plan.. be aware of what you will have to do in the short term.. and go for it.
If i had been short sighted to think that $28K was my lot.. id have missed out on a huge opportunity just a few years down the track
May I ask what your field is to earn such wonga??
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

the field.

Water..

getting it for farms/industry.. mitigating against polluting it.. wastewater disposal..
all the good stuff!

Its boom times at the moment.. even in the recession.. and that not just here but in many places all over the world..
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

the field.

Water..

getting it for farms/industry.. mitigating against polluting it.. wastewater disposal..
all the good stuff!

Its boom times at the moment.. even in the recession.. and that not just here but in many places all over the world..
Cheers mate. Just off to fashion a water diviner what ever they are called. And I thought $30 an hour when I was cleaning was good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

diviners usually only charge a few hundred for their services.. or a crate of whisky!!

i was talking to a mate at another firm in my field
and their charge structure basically has recent grads charged out at $150/hr
experienced bods at $180/hr and senior staff at $200/hr

but compared to the lawyers $300 - 400/hr.. thats cheap!!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 4:20 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Very interesting that sort of Wage.
I am a Waste Water Engineer and it took me six months to find any work ??
Can you tell me where the BOOM is ?
I think should speak to my Employer about about a rise ?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

The Boom
its been going on for about 9 years now
last year was a little less than previous.. but considering it was a recession.. nothing to worry about

waste water.. well its a big field..
if your into onsite waste water.. then there is still pickings ( although it has gone down allot with the housing crash)

the key to it is "resource consents" or planning permission as we all know it

thats where the money is.. and for a Engineer with 5 + yrs experience you should be looking at the 80K to 90K wage.. with a CpEng status.. dont get out of bed for anything less than about $110K

its good to be in the right place at the right time.. and i make no bones about it.. i consider myself very fortunate with a large dose of luck and hard work
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 5:44 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

The Boom
its been going on for about 9 years now
last year was a little less than previous.. but considering it was a recession.. nothing to worry about

waste water.. well its a big field..
if your into onsite waste water.. then there is still pickings ( although it has gone down allot with the housing crash)

the key to it is "resource consents" or planning permission as we all know it

thats where the money is.. and for a Engineer with 5 + yrs experience you should be looking at the 80K to 90K wage.. with a CpEng status.. dont get out of bed for anything less than about $110K

its good to be in the right place at the right time.. and i make no bones about it.. i consider myself very fortunate with a large dose of luck and hard work
The Council need to look at there wages structure
there would be a lot of people "Not getting out of bed" here
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

ah yes.. the councils are at least 10K in the grade less than comparable positions in industry.. at the lower grade..
and peel off allot when you get to senior levels about 20 - 40k

but its very good to have council exp.. as hats what the companies are looking for

i guess you have to serve your time first.. then get out for the opportunities!!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 9:12 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
I'm honestly still in shock at how much people spend. I know its expensive here but yesterday for instance I got my power bill in and it was the lowest ever - $66.00!!!!! Yes my hubby is a sparky so we have all low energy light bulbs and have worked out the cheapest way to light and heat our home so maybe that has alot to do with it but hey I'm delighted that we get to live the life we deserve and manage it well under the cost that others do!
Wish I could get my elec bill that low! Trouble is we have two teens so its like having 4 adults in the house, only they eat more than we do, what with still needing to grow, and they have a need for electricity akin to breathing air. With mobile phones charging, stereos on, ipods permanently downloading from itunes and pages to google in order to copy and paste homework submissions, playing on the xbox on tv upstairs whilst they leave the tv downstairs on to amuse the dog, hairdryers, hairstraighteners, 4 people = 4 showers a day and the bathroom heater on 4x daily plus the never ending need for school contributions, uniform, clothes and shoes they keep growing out of and all their personal hygiene needs, it all soon adds up to absurd bills

Our cheapest ever electric bill was the recent one, $94 and I was ecstatic! In order to get it that low, for our experiment, we had banned the boy from the x-box, banned the girl from the computer, removed hairdryer and hair straighteners and stereos from kids bedrooms, switched off two house phone extension to save them needlessly charging, switched off elec alarm clock/radios during the day, not used the tumble dryer at all, unplugges the microwave, restricted use of the toaster, turned down the hot water cylinder to 35 degrees and removed the fuse for the bathroom heater so it couldn't be used. And yes, we certainly reduced our power bill but what a bloody crap way to live in order to do so

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.