Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wages compared to living costs, help???

Wages compared to living costs, help???

Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

DougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really niceDougandZoe is just really nice
Default Re: Wages compared to living costs, help???

Thanks for all your replies and do please keep them coming. Makes very interesting reading.

I will have to look at our budget and keep researching a lot more. As many of you have said $45k is a low wage but from the info I can look at a plumber/gas fitter coming into the industry in NZ this is the average starting wage. Seems this may be a bit to much to bite off if its just this income. Maybe we wait a little longer til the kids are school age and the wife can work aswell. Much to ponder..

Thanks again all
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, in my case, my wife doesn't work as she is studying. Everyone will manage a bit differently. We are very good budgeters and savers and try to account for everything so we always have money available for glasses, car repairs and so on. I suppose others may do it on less, but likely often sacrafice new glasses, or a dental trip for something else.

We do hope that the wife will get a part time job, because as you say, a few hundred a week from her will be really helpful.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:45 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

$45 k - seriously - don't do it
Old Mar 7th 2010, 11:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It does depend on where you settle and what mortgage you feel you might have.

I have to say that I do know of 2 migrant plumbing families that came to this area, Nelson, started on this wage and less and survived to tell the tale.

It also depends on what the NZ employer will offer. It may be they offer more $$ . You haggle for the rate and a tool allowance.

Having your OH working helps no end of course.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 12:50 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't personally call it poverty wage but I have to admit it's not a good one for a family of 4.

I'm on $48K. OH and I do not struggle on that amount of money, but it's only us two. We rent, have a car and can afford to travel internationally at least once a year (have done so for the past 3 years since moving to NZ). Neither of us drink or smoke, and petrol isn't an issue since I live 10 minutes walk from work. Bills are paid on time and we manage to save some cash for rainy days as well.

Life is what you make of it, but I wouldn't say no to a higher salary though

Jen

Last edited by urbanproject; Mar 8th 2010 at 12:58 am.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

That must be difficult living 10 min from where you live

Sorry couldnt resist
Old Mar 8th 2010, 12:58 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
That must be difficult living 10 min from where you live

Sorry couldnt resist
Oops lol
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

You have edited that,s cheating
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:39 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DougandZoe
Hi everyone, I'm hoping some of you that have already made the move may be able to help with ideas about living costs.

I suppose the easiest way of asking this is; If I was earning $45k would this be enough to support a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 Kids)? Mine would be the only income as the kids will both be under school age.
We would have some savings but I don't anticipate us making much off the house in the UK.
We hope to be somewhere around the Wellington area and will be renting to begin with. I know its different for everybody but just some idea of the real living costs would be great.

I appreciate any and all the comments you may be able to pass on ( even if its to say your nuts, no way).

Thanks.
I'm so sorry to have to say this but I really don't think that's enough. We came out in 2007 on $40K PLUS penals and it just wasn't enough and we spent a good deal of equity just getting by until our situation changed. We have two kids, live a pretty modest lifestyle and struggle on more than that. I think $45K for a family of four is going to feel something like an income of about 16000 GBP It's not cheap in NZ.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

Just recovered from reading the comment of Jan n Neil

Ok, back to the topic, TBH I would take a $45K job initially. I understand it is not a fortune but the prices didn't seem so bad to me last year. In fact the most food were the same or cheaper (specially when buying fruit/grocery directly on farms). You guys in UK must really have cheap food available. Not everybody is coming to NZ to improve their earnings. I would say this should not be the primary reason. But quality of life may be an extendible idea and very much dependent to the standard of living one have had before.

As example, people from UK may need to lower their expectations since they enjoy quite high standard of living compared to the EU average. But one from the Eastern part of Europe may find $45k a decent wage.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:11 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

As another poster said, take home would be roughly $2,750 per month, or $33,000 p/a.

If you rent at $400 per week = $20,800 p/a
food shopping $200 per week = $10,400 p/a
phone/internet $100 p/month = $ 1,200 p/a
electric $150 average p/month = $ 1,800 p/a

That leaves a deficit of $1,200 p/a before you even think about petrol, WOF, rego, service, car insurance, contents insurance, clothes, shoes, Sky, haircuts, doctors, dentist, birthdays, Christmas, hobbies/days out, etc.

But if you were mortgage free or had savings to bring over it would be doable if you were very frugal until your wife could earn as well.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Do a quick search there are loads of threads on this but in my opinion u would struggle on that money

Sorry Neil
I am afraid you would be nuts for a family of 4 to give it a go on that salary..especially in Wellington. Look, if you want to give it a go good on you. Some posts indicate others have done it. If you like a challenge and don't mind REALLY watching the cents then 'he who dares' aye? BUT many have moaned and complained that they did not have the full facts from sites like this (why they want to blame someone else for their decisions is beyond me??).

So caveat emptor. You only live once etc. Only you know if you could make ends meet. You probably have a good idea of your take home and projected expenses..what does it look like? Any chance of the other half getting work..when will your salary rise?

All I can say is that Kate is on around $70 k p/a take home just under $4k a month. We have no mortgage or debt BUT we spend every penny and we do not live the high life. Okay we have 3 kids, 2 cars and some nice stuff but I am very, very frugal and by end of meat etc and shop for all the bargains. Kate buys 2nd hand clothes etc, etc..but it all goes. Where I am not sure (I don't like budgeting and enjoy the fact that we don't have to) the latter is one of the advantages for us being in NZ. We don't have international hols and have only been to the UK once in 5 years and have only had 2 proper weeks hols in 5 years in NZ.

We can afford to go out and we live a reasonable quality of life..but I guess you spend what you earn aye..don't know many if any who ever manage to save.

My final point is that emigration is the hard yard, and personally the last thing I could have done with during the transition is struggling financially. Been there done that and at my advanced years I wanted some down time money wise.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

I don't have my salary assessment back yet, so I am coming over without even knowing what my wage will be

I am hoping to get $60 before deductions, and there will be a little bit coming in from the UK once in a while, as I hope to rent out my house here. However with the exchange rate doing the limbo - that contribution might be less than expected.

I am worried because Auckland is so expensive.. .can anyone reassure me that one mum and a huge 16 yr old can survive on that kind of money...
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your replies and do please keep them coming. Makes very interesting reading.

I will have to look at our budget and keep researching a lot more. As many of you have said $45k is a low wage but from the info I can look at a plumber/gas fitter coming into the industry in NZ this is the average starting wage. Seems this may be a bit to much to bite off if its just this income. Maybe we wait a little longer til the kids are school age and the wife can work aswell. Much to ponder..

Thanks again all
I thought that in the UK plumbers were among the better paid! I am surprised that plumbers would be on a low wage in NZ.

I know that in the UK we are always struggling for teachers of plumbing , doesn't mean that you would necessarily get a good wage though = but, what would that be paid at in NZ ? - would it be a better starting wage?

Would it be worth your while teaching a couple of evening classes in the UK- save up some money for your emigration and get some teaching experience. Then you will have more strings to your bow and might be able to command a higher wage.

Not sure if things are the same, but it used to be possible to become a teacher of plumbing without having to have any degree level qualifications, because there wasn't a degree in plumbing!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

If I was earning $45k would this be enough to support a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 Kids)? Mine would be the only income as the kids will both be under school age.
We would have some savings but I don't anticipate us making much off the house in the UK.
We hope to be somewhere around the Wellington area and will be renting to begin with. I know its different for everybody but just some idea of the real living costs would be great.
Short answer, only you yourself can determine that, and nobody here is going to be able to answer it for you. Everybody is different.

Your best bet would be to put together a list, of all your expected expenses once you are here. You can then get advise from us here if your estimates are correct or not. What’s expenses are missing from your lists etc… Nobody is going to be able to tell you if $45k is enough, in my case it would probably just cover our housing loan and a few other things after tax came off.

Having said that. Some people can live comfortably on that amount. Your biggest expense would be your rent. If you could afford to come here buy your house cash, obviously it would be a different story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.