wages

Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all
Default wages

hi everyone again,just had interview with Auckland based employer,everything is looking and sounding good,however the sticky subject of wages has not reared its head yet,i am used to knowing a wage before applying for work.Can anyone give me an idea of a reasonable wage for a qualified commercial gas service eng with electrical quals,heat pumps and solar energy,i dont want to price myself out but i dont want to sell my self short,just the going rate,just an idea of where to start. I will be living in west auckland with my wife and 2 young children,with a mortgage and at least one car.thankyou all again..

Last edited by pcmay10; Apr 9th 2012 at 2:22 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:19 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wages

found these:
http://www.careers.govt.nz/default.a...103&id1=j48143

http://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/sal...ealand~19.html

don't know if that helps ?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcmay10
hi everyone again,just had interview with Auckland based employer,everything is looking and sounding good,however the sticky subject of wages has not reared its head yet,i am used to knowing a wage before applying for work.Can anyone give me an idea of a reasonable wage for a qualified commercial gas service eng with electrical quals,heat pumps and solar energy,i dont want to price myself out but i dont want to sell my self short,just the going rate,just an idea of where to start. I will be living in west auckland with my wife and 2 young children,with a mortgage and at least one car.thankyou all again..
I have been told circa $30 a hour. That is around $62400 per annum for a 40 hr week. You might push for more in Auckland though as it is very expensive to live there by contrast to somewhere like Palmerston North.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:46 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcmay10
Can anyone give me an idea of a reasonable wage for a qualified commercial gas service eng with electrical quals,heat pumps and solar energy
Qualified in UK or qualified in NZ?

If UK then you will probably get pushed down until you have completed the training/qualification/conversion process as your UK quails aren't directly useful to an employer here - there are many threads on this particular topic if you do a search....
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all

thankyou all ..it does not come naturally to haggle about wages,i must learn though,my gas quals are rocognised in nz and i have passed pgdb phone interview with a provisional licence en route...
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by simonsi

If UK then you will probably get pushed down until you have completed the training/qualification/conversion process as your UK quails aren't directly useful to an employer here - there are many threads on this particular topic if you do a search....
pcmay is UK qualified simonsi. His UK qualifications will only be part recognised here in NZ and he will need to pass NZ registration to become fully registered. Until then, once he has a job offer & not before, he would be issued a provisional license and all his work will be supervised and signed off. Bit like a plumbers mate or apprentice. Once he has his PGDB registration under his belt he will be NZ qualified to be employed as a gasfitter.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

thanks for putting others in picture BEVS,however all i was asking about was expected wages,or a starting point in wage negotiations...
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I understand that pcmay. I was responding to Simonsi's post about whether NZ or UK qualified. You are UK qualified. You are not yet NZ qualified. The PGDB doesn't fully recognise any overseas plumbing/gasfitting qualifications as those don't entirely match NZ codes or working practices.

The provisional license is issued simply & only because you have a job offer within the trade & the employer (PGDB registered/craftsman) has countersigned the license. That's all.

To this effect simonsi makes a good point.

Originally Posted by simonsi
If UK then you will probably get pushed down until you have completed the training/qualification/conversion process as your UK quails aren't directly useful to an employer here
No idea what the rates of pay are like for a registered gasfitter up in Auckland. You won't be registered though, no disrespect meant, so would do best to maybe take what is offered ( with an eye to whether or not it is a living wage or not of course) given that gasfitters are not in shortage here. The company will need you to train & upskill you to NZ standards and codes of practice & as you will need to be supervised until you are registered you will likely be offered a bit less than those that are NZ registered and NZ qualified.

I'm puzzled though. You say you are at interview stage with this NZ employer & awaiting details of any job offer. How has a provisional license been issued then ?
Old May 1st 2012, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

my mistake on prov license,misunderstood pgdb man,what he actually said was that an application for prov licence was being sent,to be ,as you say,signed by new employer...the question on wages was that i wanted to know my nz qualified wage,as that would be my long term wage and the one i based living expenses on,i do realise i would start at a lower rate,but that would be short term..