British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Visiting NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/visiting-nz-813241/)

iansmedley123 Oct 25th 2013 3:44 pm

Visiting NZ

Hi everyone. My wife and I are coming for around a month to visit NZ for the first time (Nov/Dec 2013). We wondered if there is anyone out there who would like to meet up for a drink and possibly give us a few pointers (you know... must see sights, things to avoid, money saving travel tips etc). We will be touring around for the whole time and trying to see something of both islands.
Looking forward to the avalanche of helpful replies. :thumbsup:
Ian

Assanah Oct 25th 2013 6:47 pm

Re: Visiting NZ

It might be a little late but I would register with http://www.grabone.co.nz/auckland/view-all
Sometimes they offer really good discounts (mainly in winter though).

My favorites in the North Island:
Rotorua
Gibbs Farm - though too late for you to get a ticket, sorry ;)
East Cape (although some people say it is not that safe)
Coromandel
Tongariro, Mt Ruapehu and Taupo
Mt. Taranaki (Forgotten Highway) - probably a bit out of the way though

In Auckland:
West coast beaches in Auckland (all of them are beautiful) - all have black sand, Muriwai has also the gannet colony
For swimming East coast beaches are better (probably be too cold though)
Mt. Eden and Devenport (Northhead) in Auckland for great views of Auckland and the Hauraki Gulf
Hauraki Gulf Islands (Waiheke for wine tasting, Mitangi for rare birds (good introduction to plant and bird life in NZ), Great Barrier Island as a wilder version of Coromandel, or Rangitoto).
Waitakere for bush walks
Meredith's for a fine dining experience with a cook from Samoa.
Stroll along the Viaduct
If you are into art visit the Auckland Art Gallery (I think the building just won a architectural price)

Never been over to Napier and the coast down to Wellington.

South Island:
Malborough Sound
Abel Tasman
Kahurangi National Park
A visit from a Kea (we saw them on Arthur's Pass - but protect your car, they are quick)
Pancake Rocks
West Coast Glacier
Haast
Mt Aspiring
Queenstown, Arrowtown
Milford
Lindis Pass
Mt Cook
Lake Tekapo
Dunedin with Otago Peninsula and Catlins

Many things to do and many things to see! Have a great trip!

MrsFychan Oct 25th 2013 7:44 pm

I second Taupo and Taranaki (we were advised not to take the Forgotten Highway, unmade road, very narrow and windy), we took SH 39 instead.

Coromandel is highly recommended - not been ourselves yet but on the to do list.
Have you booked stays or are you getting a camper. ?
If you are needing to book you really do need to get them sorted as quickly as possible. We use booking.com and checked on tripadvisor for recommendations. If a camper you need to be booking sites as most area's do no allow you just to stop along the road (?)

If you can give you route people maybe better able to advise what to see/visit

iansmedley123 Oct 25th 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks guys. We REALLY appreciate it. And so fast too.

kiwi wanna be Oct 26th 2013 5:29 am

May be worth looking at YHA, hostels in most tourist locations at reasonable cost and can be booked as you move from location to location.

YHA membership gives you a cheaper rate and free wifi during your stay.

Taupo is lovely, Rotorua is worth a visit, Wellington is a must plenty to see and do.

Also once your here i sites are very helpful for arranging everything from trips to transportation to accomadation

Enjoy your trip :)

Stormer999 Oct 26th 2013 6:05 am

Hi Ian,
When you decide how long and how to travel SI give us a shout and include your interests and I can give you a list of where to go ;)
Remember West coast catches the rain......real rain :eek:
Christchurch resident.

j19fmm Oct 26th 2013 9:30 am

Originally Posted by iansmedley123 (Post 10961524)
Hi everyone. My wife and I are coming for around a month to visit NZ for the first time (Nov/Dec 2013). We wondered if there is anyone out there who would like to meet up for a drink and possibly give us a few pointers (you know... must see sights, things to avoid, money saving travel tips etc). We will be touring around for the whole time and trying to see something of both islands.
Looking forward to the avalanche of helpful replies. :thumbsup:
Ian

If you come up to the Far North we'll shout you a drink! There's plenty to see here, Waitangi Treaty Grounds, Kerikeri Stone Store and Mission House, gorgeous beaches, amazing scenery. OK it's not the nightlife hub of NZ but it sure is pretty.
Places to stay are plentiful all over NZ, from the cheap and cheerful to the deluxe. Cabins - with or without kitchens, tent sites, backpackers, motels etc. There is a great AA book you can pick up at the airport or most Holiday parks. Lists everything including prices. If you're brave you can just play it day to day and decide where you're going to stay - some people can't take the stress!
If you are hiring a car you can do that cheap too if you're not sniffy about the age of the car. Rent a Dent isn't as bad as it sounds. Automatic cars are easier too - never thought I'd be a convert - so many roads are long, straight and easy!
Bring shorts, t shirts, sun cream and hats, and perhaps a jersey..it's turning out to be a pretty warm Spring. Good luck!
There's something for everyone here!

iansmedley123 Oct 26th 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks mate that's brilliant. Can't wait to get there (28th Nov) and will be having a chill for a couple of days but looking forward to that drink. I will contact you when we are in NZ.
Ian

Evolve2013 Oct 26th 2013 6:32 pm

Coromandel a must, Cathedral Cove. Hahei. Colenso Cafe. Mount Maunganui, walk to the top and then dinner at The Mount Bistro.
Have a wonderful trip

j19fmm Oct 26th 2013 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by iansmedley123 (Post 10962617)
Thanks mate that's brilliant. Can't wait to get there (28th Nov) and will be having a chill for a couple of days but looking forward to that drink. I will contact you when we are in NZ.
Ian

There is also the dolphin watching tours from Paihia :thumbsup:

Catchafire Oct 27th 2013 8:45 pm

Good article on touring the South Island

http://gonewzealand.about.com/od/Sou...uth-Island.htm

S_and_T Oct 28th 2013 8:39 pm

May I suggest, than unlike most International recording artists, you don't miss out Wellington!

:fingerscrossed:

iansmedley123 Nov 2nd 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. They are giving us a lot of info and help. I will post when we arrive and our progress if anyone wants to meet up for a drink.
Ian

j19fmm Nov 2nd 2013 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by iansmedley123 (Post 10973849)
Thanks everyone for your replies. They are giving us a lot of info and help. I will post when we arrive and our progress if anyone wants to meet up for a drink.
Ian

:thumbsup: