British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   visiting in April (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/visiting-april-523786/)

one last adventure Mar 23rd 2008 10:31 am

visiting in April

we are flying out to Auckland on 4 April then onto Wellington 6 April, myself . husband and 2 boys 15 and 11. Husband offered job in Wellington so need to come out and have a look around before we decide if it is for us. Questions, lots and lots but main ones for anyone out there that can help are:

Best way to bring spending money, cash, travellers cheques sterling or New Zealand Dolars?

Good places for family to stay in Auckland, need to be in the centre as have to meet employer here ?

Any info on Kapiti and Kapiti College as this is the area we think we would like to settle in?
Thanks Karen

Steve and Julie Mar 28th 2008 7:11 am

Re: visiting in April

Hi Karen

We are now living in NZ, Tauranga, been here for 8 months now. Dont regret it, would never want to leave. We too had a job offer and came for a holiday last Easter. Fell in love and couldnt wait to return here. Life for my 17 year old daughter here is amazing. She would never have had this sort of life if we had stayed in the UK. She is now a water baby, Jet Skis, body boarding, its such an out door life. If you do choose to come there are many things people will tell you to do as I wish I had listened to advise. eg using the right people to ship your furniture here.
When we came on holiday we used Travellers Cheques. You can cash them in local banks. You will need a little cash on you. When you leave to go home you will have an airport tax to pay. Its not much but make sure you have money on you to pay it as, it is for every member of your family.
You will fall in love with NZ, Brits money goes a long way here but, wages are a lot lower than the UK.
Have a great time.
Julie

Kimi-Deacon Mar 28th 2008 7:35 am

we are just back from flying visit to validate visas, while we were there we found that the quest service appartments were good for familys. There are quite a few of them in the city centre of Auckland and Wellington, i found them good as you get full cooking facilities and a washer dryer in all appartments if you dont want to cart dirty clothes around with you. If you need more details on accomodation pm me and will let you know exactly which ones we stayed in.

simonmarkellis Mar 28th 2008 7:44 am

Originally Posted by one last adventure (Post 6099672)
we are flying out to Auckland on 4 April then onto Wellington 6 April, myself . husband and 2 boys 15 and 11. Husband offered job in Wellington so need to come out and have a look around before we decide if it is for us. Questions, lots and lots but main ones for anyone out there that can help are:

Best way to bring spending money, cash, travellers cheques sterling or New Zealand Dolars?

Good places for family to stay in Auckland, need to be in the centre as have to meet employer here ?

Any info on Kapiti and Kapiti College as this is the area we think we would like to settle in?
Thanks Karen

Hi Karen,

Money wise, i'd bring a mixture, a bit of cash to tide you over, then travellers cheques in sterling... How long are you in Wellington for from the 6th? Cause were real friendly done here, so if you want to meet a few of us for a chat/coffee/whatever, we'd be more than obliging, then we can give to you the low down on all the areas.. If your keen just PM me and i'll give you my mobile number for when you get here...

Simon

Ted Logan Mar 28th 2008 9:19 am

Yes, do let the Wellington crew know when your in town. We can give some candid views about Wellington and surroundings.

We are mostly a good bunch but their appears to be some conflict between the city folk and the country cousins :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

danny.f Mar 28th 2008 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Ted Logan (Post 6122600)
Yes, do let the Wellington crew know when your in town. We can give some candid views about Wellington and surroundings.

We are mostly a good bunch but their appears to be some conflict between the city folk and the country cousins :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

City folk? You're as far out as we are! And it'll be further next earthquake!

luvwelly Mar 28th 2008 11:10 am

For a central Auckland location for a couple of nights I'd recommend Rydges Hotel....they have quality rooms which sleep 4 (called double doubles) for about $150 per room which is about £50. You can book online at www.rydges.com

The restaurant also did good food. The location is just along from the Sky Tower so you can't get much more central. They will also valet park your hire car for you underneath the hotel for a fee of course...so very secure.

kiwinow Mar 28th 2008 8:49 pm

Hi there
I lived in Raumati for years and just went back for a visit last year. It's been prettied up since I was there. Raumati Beach is a nice, quiet little town with a nice beach overlooking Kapiti Island, which is a conservation area. Small group of shops, but only a few minutes drive to Paraparaumu (pronounced Paraparam by locals) where there is Coastlands shopping centre. There's a few restaurants, a movie theatre, but not a huge nightlife. However, Wellington isn't far away - about 45 minutes by car. There is a train service into Wellington, where many people go to work - takes about 1 hour, but it's better than going by car as traffic is thick and there is comparatively little parking in Wellington unless your company provides it. There is a small airport, but it's cheaper to drive to Wellington to catch a plane.
I went to Kapiti College, as did my nieces more recently and as far as I know it's still a good school. There's a website www.kapiticollege.schools.nz

Ted Logan Mar 28th 2008 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 6122824)
City folk? You're as far out as we are! And it'll be further next earthquake!

next earthquake and I'll be rowing to work. You'll be getting the private helicopter in won't you??

simonmarkellis Mar 28th 2008 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ted Logan (Post 6125289)
next earthquake and I'll be rowing to work. You'll be getting the private helicopter in won't you??

There so many of us Country Folk up here, we could share the cost!!:D

nero Mar 29th 2008 3:41 am

Originally Posted by one last adventure (Post 6099672)

Thanks Karen

As for money I would recommend a UK Nationwide account (if you can get one before you come across) this will allow you to get cash out of the ATM as and when you require it at no charge. We found this excellent, we also used their credit card as agin there was no additional charge.

As for staying somewhere in the CBD in Auckland the Quest serviced appartments are very good, they are basically a flat with everything at your fingertips from kitchen to laundry facilities. There are a number of locations in and around Auckland. Here is the web address http://www.questauckland.co.nz/

Hope this helps

Maz Mar 29th 2008 4:46 am

There's a Quest in Welly, too. Dead central. Books up extremely quickly though! Try Central City Apartment Hotel, too, and the Abel Tasman. :thumbup:

Sorry, don't have the slightest clue about Kapiti College... :(

luvwelly Mar 29th 2008 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 6126418)
There's a Quest in Welly, too. Dead central. Books up extremely quickly though! Try Central City Apartment Hotel, too, and the Abel Tasman. :thumbup:
(

There are also serviced apartments at 66 Boulcott Street Wellington - the website is called Whats new? Most serviced apartments have a minimum number of days stay hence why I suggested the hotel for Auckland if it's only a couple of nights.

Maz Mar 29th 2008 5:16 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 6126434)
There are also serviced apartments at 66 Boulcott Street Wellington - the website is called Whats new? Most serviced apartments have a minimum number of days stay hence why I suggested the hotel for Auckland if it's only a couple of nights.

Right next door to where I work and I still managed to forget them, d'oh! :blink: Thanks for remembering luvwelly! :thumbup: