British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Visit back to UK... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/visit-back-uk-436267/)

Boopy Mar 21st 2007 7:51 pm

Visit back to UK...

Visit back to UK ... Who to use for travel insurance going back. The travel agents insurance are dead expensive. Any ideas!
My mam's not doing too well, looking like a trip back very shortly.

karonious Mar 21st 2007 8:37 pm

Re: Visit back to UK...

Originally Posted by Boopy (Post 4543541)
Visit back to UK ... Who to use for travel insurance going back. The travel agents insurance are dead expensive. Any ideas!

Sorry, can't help with the insurance, just wanted to offer some 'thinking of you' support. It must be an awful feeling to be so far away at this time. Hope she feels better soon.
Karen B

P2L Mar 21st 2007 8:37 pm

Boopy

Sorry to hear your mum' not too good :(

If you do a search, Steve Horrell posted some info on this a month or so ago.

HTH
Sarah x

pixi-dust Mar 21st 2007 8:43 pm

Booby, sorry about your mum.

We're going for a trip back this year too and when we looked into insurance found out like you - it costs a bomb - then our friend told us that he has a gold bank visa card and it includes insurance - so we got a gold card and paid for the flights with that and got the insurance. There was even an offer on at the time that there was no charge for the card. It's something you might be able to look into?

kwprwn Mar 21st 2007 8:53 pm

Hi Boopy

Sorry about your mum...we used columbusdirect travel insurance for a trip to oz and they were really reasonable

Dawn

RobClubley Mar 21st 2007 9:14 pm

The Qantas ANZ gold card gives you travel insurance as long as you pay for at least half of the cost of the trip with the card.
http://www.anz.com/nz/pers/creditcards/range/qantas/

"Your Gold card comes with a range of travel benefits, including complimentary Overseas Travel Insurance* to protect you when you travel. This includes cover for overseas medical expenses; cancellations and lost or damaged luggage. You are automatically covered provided you pay for at least half of your pre-paid travel expenses with your card."

poppets Mar 21st 2007 10:08 pm

hi Boopy ,
sorry to hear about you mum, like others have said i've heard that the ASB gold card has free travel insurance
when i went back with Air NZ i got my insurance with them as i couldn't be arsed & didn't have time to shop around, if i recall they wasn't too bad
xxx

salmey Mar 21st 2007 10:34 pm

www.1cover.co.nz
used them recently had to go home as mother ill, for a month i think it was about $140.

Kerry & Dirk Mar 21st 2007 10:55 pm

Hi Boopy

Sorry to hear about your mum too, our thoughts are with you and your family. We hope she picks up.

Love Kerry and Dirk x

Am Loolah Mar 21st 2007 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kerry & Dirk (Post 4544183)
Hi Boopy

Sorry to hear about your mum too, I hope you get sorted and your mum recovers

Love Kerry and Dirk x

Hi Boopy, I really feel for you, this is what I am dreading most when we're out there - definately try your credit card Terms & conditions as suggested - straightforward to book and be covered all under the same umbrella.

Sophie_Wellington Mar 21st 2007 11:01 pm

Hi Boopy,

Really sorry about your Mum, keep your pecker up hun we're thinking of u.

I heard the Warehouse and Kiwibank do not-so-offensive travel insurance. I know it's sounds weird but the Warehouse seemed to be the best policy - check this for travel to the UK though as we were going to Aus.

Shout if you need a hand with anything else :-)

AnnieNell Mar 21st 2007 11:35 pm

Hi Boopy,
Can't help with the travel insurance but just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about your Mum. Sending you a HUGE CYBER HUG Hun.
Love Annie.

Boopy Mar 22nd 2007 9:09 am

Thank you all for you kind thoughts, and info.

For those who are planning on emmigrating, I just want to say - nothing always goes to plan.
We both have elderly parents, other than getting older, no serious medical conditions. When first arriving, we had our rainy day pot. Then after buying a house, there was a few large unexpected expenses. Before you know it your rainy day pot has gone.

We'd only been here 2 months, when my mam had to undergo surgery, followed by radiotherapy, she's 85, so it's taking it's toll on her.

What I'm trying to say is, you can't always prepare yourself for everything. When you move so far from home, you know that anything can happen at any time, unfortunately, you just don't expect something to happen so soon.

cherry Mar 22nd 2007 10:36 am

Hi Dee and we are sorry to hear of your mams health.
My mam is 80 and I dread the day when I may get a call to return to the UK ,home is here now and as far as insurance goes I would do the trip without insurance as I know I am eligible for free treatmant in the UK as I have been a resident born there and paid my fees for long enough to get free medical.The only insurance you may need is baggage and delays.I would not worry too much about insurance personally for a trip back to the UK other than a life insurance on yourself.Difficult choice but weigh up the odds and the safety of flights nowadays.
Karma to you Dee and love and best wishes to your mum
Diane and Ray xx

Maz Mar 22nd 2007 2:40 pm

Boopy I'm SO sorry to hear about your mum. :( I don't really have any advice on travel insurance as I never take it. I just wanted to send you lots of comforting ((((hugs)))).