British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Visas have been applied for... The wait has begun (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/visas-have-been-applied-wait-has-begun-900105/)

Guernsey2612 Jul 22nd 2017 6:55 pm

Visas have been applied for... The wait has begun

So we have lodged all our paperwork for the visas, we are coming out to NZ on initially an essential skills visa, with the hospital saying that there will be full time positions during the fixed term contract so that we can apply for and then go for a residency visa.

We are really excited, nervous, and worried about our 16 year old daughter who is adamant she is not coming lol...

We are moving to Whangarei, as that is here the job offer was.

Any advice, on the above or rental properties etc.. would be welcome.

MrsCakey Jul 24th 2017 10:43 am

Re: Visas have been applied for... The wait has begun

Fingers crossed for speedy visas! I've just submitted my application so in the same waiting position as you. We could keep each other company :)

Ria_ Jul 24th 2017 12:05 pm

Good luck!

Will your daughter have finished school by the time you get out, or will it be mid year 11?

Spacecake799 Jul 24th 2017 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Guernsey2612 (Post 12300329)
So we have lodged all our paperwork for the visas, we are coming out to NZ on initially an essential skills visa, with the hospital saying that there will be full time positions during the fixed term contract so that we can apply for and then go for a residency visa.

We are really excited, nervous, and worried about our 16 year old daughter who is adamant she is not coming lol...

We are moving to Whangarei, as that is here the job offer was.

Any advice, on the above or rental properties etc.. would be welcome.

16 is a very difficult age to expect your daughter to go. What is the reason for you making the move? How will you feel if she returns to the UK leaving you both there?

Guernsey2612 Jul 24th 2017 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 12302074)
16 is a very difficult age to expect your daughter to go. What is the reason for you making the move? How will you feel if she returns to the UK leaving you both there?

If she decides too, then we will be obviously sad, but cannot stop here from doing so.

Guernsey2612 Jul 24th 2017 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ria_ (Post 12301764)
Good luck!

Will your daughter have finished school by the time you get out, or will it be mid year 11?

Finished School

Guernsey2612 Jul 24th 2017 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by MrsCakey (Post 12301703)
Fingers crossed for speedy visas! I've just submitted my application so in the same waiting position as you. We could keep each other company :)

Hiya,
Good luck, please do... lets keep each other company....

Spacecake799 Jul 24th 2017 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Guernsey2612 (Post 12302076)
If she decides too, then we will be obviously sad, but cannot stop here from doing so.

No you cant, and its something that isnt easy to deal with, its a long way. Good luck with your move.

Guernsey2612 Jul 24th 2017 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 12302079)
No you cant, and its something that isnt easy to deal with, its a long way. Good luck with your move.

Thank you... The whole move is drawn as my wife is fed up with the NHS, and wants a new life... we have friends in NZ, who have said its hard work, but well worth it... I and y wife will do everything we can to help her settle, and make new friends...

Andy

Spacecake799 Jul 24th 2017 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Guernsey2612 (Post 12302081)
Thank you... The whole move is drawn as my wife is fed up with the NHS, and wants a new life... we have friends in NZ, who have said its hard work, but well worth it... I and y wife will do everything we can to help her settle, and make new friends...

Andy

It isnt easy, it is hard work in every sense, you certainly wont find an easier work life balance but time will tell how it works for you. Its definately worth a try.

Ria_ Jul 25th 2017 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Guernsey2612 (Post 12302077)
Finished School

At least there's some form of "closure" then for her, as everyone else she knows will also be making fresh starts. There might initially be that feeling of FOMO back home, but keeping in touch with school friends is a lot easier these days so it's not like completely cutting off ties.

I remember at 16, I was convinced that despite everyone going to different colleges in different towns we'd all still be the best of friends. But a few months down the line, that just wasn't the case anymore.

Obviously everyone is different, but 16 year olds are so adaptable and they don't even know it. She might surprise herself. It's truly a credit to your parenting that you want to do all you can to help her settle into her new life, and I hope that she appreciates that and understands your decisions. Hopefully you can all make it work for each other.

dfjordan Jul 25th 2017 4:30 pm

I dont know how mature your 16 year old is, but if it were me, I would give more consideration to my daughter than myself. To move halfway around the globe, just because I didnt like the NHS, knowing that my teenage daughter was against the idea, sounds a bit hasty. She is at a high risk age. Think about it .

Spacecake799 Jul 25th 2017 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by dfjordan (Post 12302869)
I dont know how mature your 16 year old is, but if it were me, I would give more consideration to my daughter than myself. To move halfway around the globe, just because I didnt like the NHS, knowing that my teenage daughter was against the idea, sounds a bit hasty. She is at a high risk age. Think about it .

Sorry, but I totally agree with you. 16 is a hard age to move them. At that age it could go either way.

Guernsey2612 Jul 27th 2017 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by dfjordan (Post 12302869)

Thanks for your comment, and we have given consideration to my daughter, we are not selfish parents, or anything like that. We are not moving just because of the NHS, it has been our dreams for a long time, and as a 16 year old, she has her future ahead of her, and there is no future for her in the UK. At least she will have the opportunity to re-invent herself.

Thanks for the negativity.

barnsleymat Jul 27th 2017 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Guernsey2612 (Post 12304385)
there is no future for her in the UK.

Why would you say that?

That's a very bold thing to say.