British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Visa then marriage!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/visa-then-marriage-392021/)

daviesl Aug 22nd 2006 10:26 am

Visa then marriage!!!

Dear all
We are currently in the process of applying for our visa's, have gone through EOI successfullly and are now awaiting medicals, police checks etc to come back.

We were planning on getting married soon after our arrival in NZ (or within the first year) or if we have chance, a small quietish do with family and friends over here before we leave. PLanning on leaving Oct/Nov time though - so maybe timescales are a bit tight.

But generally my question is, once your visa has been granted, does it cause complications if you get married soon after they are granted......or how long should we wait......

Winnie Aug 22nd 2006 10:47 am

Re: Visa then marriage!!!

Originally Posted by daviesl
Dear all
We are currently in the process of applying for our visa's, have gone through EOI successfullly and are now awaiting medicals, police checks etc to come back.

We were planning on getting married soon after our arrival in NZ (or within the first year) or if we have chance, a small quietish do with family and friends over here before we leave. PLanning on leaving Oct/Nov time though - so maybe timescales are a bit tight.

But generally my question is, once your visa has been granted, does it cause complications if you get married soon after they are granted......or how long should we wait......

I don't know for sure, but I imagine your wife would have to change her passport then send it back to immigration for a replacement visa. Lots more paperwork and forms?? It sounds as if you don't have much time, and NZ is the perfect place to get married in.

M.. Aug 22nd 2006 8:36 pm

Re: Visa then marriage!!!

Originally Posted by daviesl
Dear all

We did this - PR granted in principle just a few days after our honeymoon. I've had to send off my passport to get it changed into my married name and now its back it has to go to NZIS for the visas to be put in. If you are in a hurry then I think you can do both over the counter "by appointment" so it probably is possible to do it to tight timescales but lots of hassle.

Hope it goes well whatever you decide to do.