Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Visa question - renewing UK passport mid visa application

Visa question - renewing UK passport mid visa application

Old Mar 11th 2019, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visa question - renewing UK passport mid visa application

Hello

We are moving to Auckland in the last quarter of this year and I am in the process of applying for a partner residency visa (hoping to submit by the end of this month).
However, I have just realised that my British passport expires in September 2020 and I would like to renew it now so I have a new 10 year passport when we emigrate, mainly because my dad is pretty ill and I don't want to face any issues travelling back to the UK next year.

To make things extra complicated, I can't apply renew it until the end of April because we are going on holiday at Easter.

Does anyone know if it's ok to apply for a visa with one passport, and have the visa applied to a new one?

Thanks a lot

H
Old Mar 11th 2019, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa question - renewing UK passport mid visa application

Nah I doubt you'll be able to apply with one passport then submit another for the stickered or electronic visa to be attached. Serial numbers will be different so I guess somewhere in the Immigration process it would flag up and cause a delay while they inform you to provide an explanation.
It is quite easy to renew the UK passport online from NZ, and just as easy to transfer your NZ visa across to the new passport.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. I'll do that and remember to renew when we arrive.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can. Hubby had to renew his during the application process and we had no issues at all
Old Mar 14th 2019, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

valleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nice

Originally Posted by hallie_day
Hello

We are moving to Auckland in the last quarter of this year and I am in the process of applying for a partner residency visa (hoping to submit by the end of this month).
However, I have just realised that my British passport expires in September 2020 and I would like to renew it now so I have a new 10 year passport when we emigrate, mainly because my dad is pretty ill and I don't want to face any issues travelling back to the UK next year.

To make things extra complicated, I can't apply renew it until the end of April because we are going on holiday at Easter.

Does anyone know if it's ok to apply for a visa with one passport, and have the visa applied to a new one?

Thanks a lot

H
just do it online weve done all 4 of ours and then sent them back to Nz immigration for the visas to be put in new ones, the new UK passport system is a breeze
Old Mar 18th 2019, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help Nikki and velleygurl - very reassuring.