Visa process

Old May 4th 2020, 9:00 am
Just Joined

LeChief is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa process

Hello! I have accepted a new job in Wairarapa area of NZ, very exciting but now i've got the Visa process to get through. My job is on the critical skill list so they want me by August if possible and i am aware of the DBS police check i will need, but i am unsure how to go about the medical certificate and is it true i need to get a chest x-ray done?? Any help very much appreciated. Also on a side note, does NZ have IKEA or something similar im going to have to kit out a house when i land! Thanks again for any help.
Old May 5th 2020, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa process

Hi. Cool so you were successful. Congrats!
Yes, the next stage would be to get a visa so you can live and work here in that job. Given the timescales and the fact the role is on the Critical Skills List that visa application will be a type of temporary work visa - e.g Essential Skills etc and not through Skilled Migrant Resident Visa. That would be something to work towards when in NZ if you wanted to stay and you met all the criteria. Temporary work visas are for the individual so your partner and any children would also have to have separate visa applications based on your work visa and via the family stream.
Unfortunately, due to the current pandemic, I'd be highly surprised if:
(i) your visa is even processed ? Immigration have closed all offices. A couple are running on skeleton staff and some officers are home working but processing is seriously restricted and at the moment they are only looking at visa's for people who are already in NZ. All other processing is on hold or closed. Have a look here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19
(ii) you'll even be able to travel ? The border is shut to everyone other than incoming Residents with valid travel conditions, PR holders or returning Citizens at the moment and nobody but the Government has any idea when they are likely to relax the borders. The Prime Minister has bandied 12-18 months about within news reports before others and visitors will be able to return to NZ shores.

Yes you will need a full medical and chest xray because the visa you will be going for will be minimum 2 years. You'll have to visit an approved facility that conducts the medicals on behalf of Immigration NZ and they must use e-medical system and of course at your cost. Rest of your family also if you are applying for visas for them also.
I'd check first though as no point spending the money now if you can't travel as the medicals will expire after a certain period so you don't want to pay again.

No there is no IKEA. There's a place in Auckland that sells some IKEA stuff but it is very limited. There are other stores for cheaper - less quality furniture like The Warehouse and KMart.

First think I'd do is have a chat with Immigration to see if you can actually apply for a visa due to current restrictions.
Old May 5th 2020, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Latest from our Prime Minister.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52540733
Old May 5th 2020, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to seek clear guidance from your employer or Immigration NZ on how to proceed, as no point in you making plans or spending a cent on medicals, unless you have received permission to travel to NZ and have a clear idea on likelihood of you getting a visa anytime soon. I think any hopes of anyone getting a visa within the next three months are next to zero

As emphasised all over Immigration website: 'The starting point for consideration is that the New Zealand border is closed for all but critical travel, and that protecting public health in New Zealand is paramount.'

The Border is closed and all visa processing is currently closed except for:
  • Temporary visas for victims of domestic violence
  • Partnership category temporary visas (including reassessments)
  • Full Fee Paying student visas
  • Post Study work visa
Essential Health workers are only being considered as priority for certain jobs with start dates between March to June 2020.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...and-exceptions

Old May 5th 2020, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm more optimistic, assuming your role can be linked to the essential workers bit on the link above... "The Government will specifically identify and consider exceptions for other essential workers critical to delivering the response to COVID-19 and/or maintaining critical infrastructure."
So seek permission if it's a goer or not first, see if your special immigration medical certified regional centre is open, criminal checks not delayed etc etc as if there is a chance of it happening you want all ya ducks in a row.
If your role is deemed to be critical to infrastructure then you've got a good chance. No stress if you have to wait out 2 weeks in a posh hotel on arrival in Auckland at tax payers expense (currently, will start charging at some point hence the need to seek permission first).
Old May 5th 2020, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that the critical services part is limited to Essential Health Workers (per the list) with roles starting in March to June 20 and they still need to follow the limited exception process. For all other Critical / Essential roles the employer need to seek guidance from the COVID-19 | Lead agencies

It says:There are a small number of additional, limited exceptions to the ban on travelling to and entering New Zealand. This applies to people who already hold a temporary New Zealand visa as well as to people who don’t have a New Zealand visa.

The following people should seek approval from INZ using the limited exceptions process:
  • Partners, dependent children (aged 24 years and under) and legal guardians of New Zealand citizens and residents
  • Australian citizens and permanent resident who normally live in New Zealand
  • People with one of the following critical purposes in New Zealand:
    • Essential health workers
    • Other essential workers who are specifically agreed to by the New Zealand Government

Critical purposes for travelling to New Zealand

Essential health workers

A healthcare worker is a current or new (start date March to June 2020) employee who holds a key position working in:
  • a District Health Board
  • the New Zealand Blood Service etc.
People seeking to travel to New Zealand because they meet one of these limited exceptions should first request consideration using the online exceptions request form.

Other Essential Workers

The Government will specifically identify and consider exceptions for other essential workers critical to delivering the response to COVID-19 and/or maintaining critical infrastructure.

This is a limited group. These essential workers are not the same as the holders of Essential Skills work visas, or people seeking to begin working in an essential services.

Employers should first contact their sector’s lead agency for advice on allowing employees to travel as essential workers.

Old May 8th 2020, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

EyeResign is an unknown quantity at this point

You may struggle to get your medical done. I think there's only about 7 places in the UK that are on the system and i would imagine for now they will not be taking clients.
We got our medicals done late feb at The Bridge Clinic in Maidenhead and submitted visa application shortly thereafter. Not critical workers so in limbo.
There's some info here:
https://www.livinginnz.co.nz/post/co...sked-questions