Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Visa / passport questions

Visa / passport questions

Old Feb 8th 2019, 8:38 am
Just Joined

hallie_day is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa / passport questions

We're moving to NZ in September/October, and only just realised we need to do visas!!

My husband is from New Zealand, I am British and we have two children born in the UK, 6 and 9.
I am going to start my partner visa application for permanent residency, and my husband is applying for the children's citizenship and passports - do we still need to apply for resident's visas for the children if they get citizenship? If they do need Visas, does anyone know what the fee is? I can find the fee for 'fee paying student visas', but I don't think they would be in this bracket.

I'm sure the answer is out there but not everything is as clear as it could be.

Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 8th 2019, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa / passport questions

I cannot think of a citizen anywhere returning to their own country with a valid passport is going to need a visa
Old Feb 8th 2019, 9:41 am
Just Joined

hallie_day is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if it wasn’t clear.
I meant if my UK born children successfully apply for NZ citizenship / passport while in the UK, do they still need a resident visa?
Old Feb 8th 2019, 9:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hallie_day View Post
Sorry if it wasn’t clear.
I meant if my UK born children successfully apply for NZ citizenship / passport while in the UK, do they still need a resident visa?
No, if they are citizens they will NOT need a visa of any sort.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I would clarify that as I understand it, it's not so much about citizenship, but it does depend on passports. If you are a NZ citizen but travel into NZ on a different passport - ie a UK passport, you will need evidence that you are a NZ citizen, otherwise you will need the same visa as any UK person entering NZ. One way is a citizen endorsement in the UK passport..
Old Feb 10th 2019, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you are in the same position I was in. Kiwi born husband and 2 British born kids. In our case, my husband had both UK and NZ passports but kids were entitled to NZ citizenship by descent. So, they got NZ citizenship by descent, and were then able to apply for passports in the UK before we came. I had to get a permanent residency visa in my UK passport which I had for 2 years, before the travel restrictions were lifted. I was only entitled to an NZ passport once I had been here in NZ for 5 years,and met all the criteria to get NZ citizenship and passport. The UK born children will also need to apply for full citizenship once they've been here 5 years, but they don't have to attend a ceremony and already have passports. They did not have to get permanent residency visas as they had NZ passports.

Last edited by MOSO; Feb 10th 2019 at 7:43 am.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
No, if they are citizens they will NOT need a visa of any sort.

But they will need NZ passports.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 5:54 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

to leave the UK to come back to NZ you will need to prove you have the right to enter NZ. I had this problem last July. Having got Citizenship previous year I totally forgot I would need some proof. Got to the self checkout to leave UK and head back to NZ just for husbands and daughters passports to go through but mine and sons didn't. We had renewed our UK passport and totally forgot to get the visa transferred. Panic stricken we had to go and line out for a real person to speak to, an hour or so, for them to check a few things and pass us through. So yes we need to get New Zealand Citizenship endorsement in to UK passports or face not being allowed to board.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

MrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really nice

Originally Posted by MOSO View Post
The UK born children will also need to apply for full citizenship once they've been here 5 years, but they don't have to attend a ceremony and already have passports. They did not have to get permanent residency visas as they had NZ passports.
We were also identical to you in terms of process, but I was not aware that the children have to get full citizenship after they get their NZ passports? Can you supply a link for more information about this please?

I would advise getting the children their NZ passports by descent before you leave the UK, that way they can arrive on their NZ passports, so no need for visas and you won't need to worry about student fees for schooling as they will be eligible for education like any other NZ child.

Hope that helps.

Old Feb 10th 2019, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand Citizens do not need visas. That would be your partner and kids, provided things get done before September. Countries cannot issue visas to their own citizens.

YOU, as a British Citizen, need a visa to move there.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 10:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Sort out your children’s NZ citizenship and passports before you start your partner visa application.

https://www.govt.nz/browse/passports...et-a-passport/
Old Feb 11th 2019, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Because the children are citizens by descent, they cannot pass on their citizenship to their children if they are born outside NZ, therefore they can upgrade to full citizenship once they've been here 5 years. We haven't bothered with our children (who are both over 16), but we could do in future (at cost!).

"Citizens by descent can't pass on NZ citizenship to any children they have outside NZ.

If you want your child to be a New Zealand citizen, you have 2 options: you can apply to be granted NZ citizenship or you can apply for your child to be granted NZ citizenship."

Last edited by MOSO; Feb 11th 2019 at 3:36 am.