Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

visa help!learning disability.....

visa help!learning disability.....

Old May 2nd 2006, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

dotty debs is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy visa help!learning disability.....

Help!does anyone out there have any advice or any knowledge of anyone taking out to NZ a dependent adult child with a learning disability?My husband is a native kiwi, i am british i have a 25 year old daughter from my first marraige who is dependent on us as she cannot work.She has the mental age of 13.We have asked the visa office here in GB about applying for a visa for her but it would seem she cannot apply as she is totally excluded from any category whatsoever,there isn't even a link on the website for anything to do with disabilites.!I cannot believe that she is being discriminated against in this way, and i also can't believe we are the first family in the world to have this problem, does anyone out there have any advice or help at all?we really don't know what else to do...thanks v much... :
Old May 2nd 2006, 6:23 pm
Arrived CHC 23 May 2006

Stevemw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: visa help!learning disability.....

Presumably you would be applying for the Family stream, which allows you to bring in dependent children. This can mean a child 17-24 years old if they are financially dependent on you. In your case the rules (at least as they are set out in the NZIS website) seem to preclude your daughter, but if you can demonstrate that she is indeed dependent, in spite of her age, perhaps they would accept her as a special case.
It would certainly be worth an email to NZIS - if they say no then they'll have to say why.
Regards,
Steve
Old May 3rd 2006, 5:43 am
Just Joined

dotty debs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: visa help!learning disability.....

Originally Posted by Stevemw
Presumably you would be applying for the Family stream, which allows you to bring in dependent children. This can mean a child 17-24 years old if they are financially dependent on you. In your case the rules (at least as they are set out in the NZIS website) seem to preclude your daughter, but if you can demonstrate that she is indeed dependent, in spite of her age, perhaps they would accept her as a special case.
It would certainly be worth an email to NZIS - if they say no then they'll have to say why.
Regards,
Steve
many thanks for your support, we need all the support we can get at the moment , its such a headche, but we'll keep pushing...debs.