Visa Help

Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

green_frog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Help

Hi, sorry if these sorts of questions are posted all the time, but I'm a bit confused about the visa system. I'm going to NZ in July to tutor English for a year - I've been offered a place by a school there, who will provide accomodation. I'm confused about what visa to apply for - presumably a temporary work one, but I'm not sure whether I should apply for an Essential Skills visa?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Wellsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa Help

Hi I am not sure as I am very new to this as well, but I have just got a job offer in Wellington and need to be there in 10 weeks, and I was told by NZ immigration that all I require is a work permit visa, with my medical/xrays and police check.
that should allow me to work in NZ for upto 2 years, so that is the route I am taking at the moment.
Hope that helps...............
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by green_frog
Hi, sorry if these sorts of questions are posted all the time, but I'm a bit confused about the visa system. I'm going to NZ in July to tutor English for a year - I've been offered a place by a school there, who will provide accommodation. I'm confused about what visa to apply for - presumably a temporary work one, but I'm not sure whether I should apply for an Essential Skills visa?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi Green Frog.

I'm a bit confused by your post but then again I am easily confused. Is this a straightforward job offer you have found as a qualified english tutor? Or is it a placement or exchange perhaps?

ANZSCO Occupation 249311 - Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages. Skill level 1.

I can't find English tutors on either of the essential skills listings so you wouldn't be applying under that category. This means that the NZ employer that has offered you the job will need to prove to NZIS that there is no NZ resident or citizen for that job.

Originally Posted by per NZIS website
What if my occupation is not on one of the lists?

If you want to apply for a temporary work visa/permit (or recruit temporary workers from overseas), the occupation does not have to be on one of the lists. The employer must show that they have genuinely searched for suitably qualified and trained New Zealander workers, and we will undertake a labour market test. Alternatively, an employer with Approval in Principle may be able to recruit employers from overseas]
You'll need your contract of employment showing the terms and conditions of the year long contract & your qualifications for the work . Your employer will need to also fill out a form and show evidence of adverts. training policy etc.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Wellsy
Hi I am not sure as I am very new to this as well, but I have just got a job offer in Wellington and need to be there in 10 weeks, and I was told by NZ immigration that all I require is a work permit visa, with my medical/xrays and police check.
that should allow me to work in NZ for upto 2 years, so that is the route I am taking at the moment.
Hope that helps...............
Yes. To get you here and working for the NZ employer, you just need to apply for a 2 year temporary work visa. Make sure that your employer stresses the importance of the start date for your job so that NZIS can work to that date. They need to provide you with the full terms and conditions of your job offer.
Have your quals certified to go with the application along with your CV showing your work experience which matches the job offer.
If you have family, your partner can apply for an open work visa on the back of your application. Any children will need student visa applications.

If your occupation is on the shortage lists , then your employer is free to offer you the work. If your occupation is not on the shortages list , then the employer has to prove that there is no Nz resident or citizen that could take the job.

Hope that helps.