Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Vineyards & Wineries

Vineyards & Wineries

Old Sep 11th 2006, 5:10 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vineyards & Wineries

Anyone tour these or live near any? I was introduced just over 2 years ago to my all-time fave wine, the Sauvignon Blanc from Nobilo in Marlborough. I hope to visit there when we pop over next June.

We'll also have the rare opportunity to stay at a vineyard as I got in contact with an old friend from when I lived in France. She divorced her French husband, and re-married in the wine industry, which she already owned and ran an import business in. She married into a family-run vineyard, and we've been invited to stay, can't wait! They're near Masterton, so not too far from Welly to make it our base.

I'd love to tour some of the Hawkes Bay vineyards and wineries when we're there, but they're a lot more remote.

Anyone have any tastings and tour experiences they'd like to share?
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Vineyards & Wineries

Originally Posted by Maz
Anyone tour these or live near any? I was introduced just over 2 years ago to my all-time fave wine, the Sauvignon Blanc from Nobilo in Marlborough. I hope to visit there when we pop over next June.

We'll also have the rare opportunity to stay at a vineyard as I got in contact with an old friend from when I lived in France. She divorced her French husband, and re-married in the wine industry, which she already owned and ran an import business in. She married into a family-run vineyard, and we've been invited to stay, can't wait! They're near Masterton, so not too far from Welly to make it our base.

I'd love to tour some of the Hawkes Bay vineyards and wineries when we're there, but they're a lot more remote.

I haven't been on a tour yet but it is on my list of things to do! We live near a few vineyards and have visited some of them. What I really want to do is go to Waiheke Island and go to the vinyards there. Maybe this summer
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz

I had a wonderful trip down to central otago last Easter, it was just glorious weather, autumn colours, really pretty. The wineries are just superb and when you mix it with the scenery it is a very excellent place to visit. There are also a lot of wineries, vineyards and restaurants here in Canterbury.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz

Hi Maz - Masterton is about 2 hours from Wellington and I can get to Napier, Hawkes Bay from Wellington in about 3.5 hours - so Hawkes Bay is fairly close rather than remote.

Martinborough town is about 1.5 hours from Wellington and a major vineyard region - also olives, I read the other day that the olive oil produced in NZ is challenging some of the traditional olive oil producing world! In November, there is a Martinborough wine festival - many of the vineyards open their doors, lay on food in conjunction with Wellington eateries, put on live music and ... your ticket gives you a glass on a ribbon which you use to taste wines at the wineries - a special train service brings people from Wellington - buses drop you in the heart of the vineyards and ........ a great day is had by all, wandering from vineyard to vineyard ... listening to music ..... sampling the best tidbits from some of the best restaurants. The only downside is it can be difficult to get tickets!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:23 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of Otago but not Waiheke Island. More exploring to do!

I didn't realise Masterton was so far from Welly. When I eyeballed it on an online map, it only looked like 60km or so. Martinborough sounds wonderful! We might have to tweak our visiting dates... *hic!* Hawkes Bay actually sounds reachable now... definitely up for a few short road trips!

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz
I've heard of Otago but not Waiheke Island. More exploring to do!

I didn't realise Masterton was so far from Welly. When I eyeballed it on an online map, it only looked like 60km or so. Martinborough sounds wonderful! We might have to tweak our visiting dates... *hic!* Hawkes Bay actually sounds reachable now... definitely up for a few short road trips!

Thanks for all the feedback!
Quite often in NZ, it's not the kms but the terrain or the road quality that puts on the time taken. To get to the Wairarapa - which is the region - from Wellington, you have to go over the Rimutaka Hill - although only 30mins drive to get to the bottom of "The Hill" it is a bit bigger than that - kiwi understatement! Although Wellington doesn't get snow in the winter, the Rimutaka road will close through snow several times. The road is narrow and winds round and round - that's what takes the time. I would use your friends in Masterton to explore the Wairarapa and Hawkes Bay but think you might find it hard going to commute by car to Wellington frequently.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

binman is an unknown quantity at this point

As you drive out of Auckland International Airport you will pass Villa Maria New Zealands most successful wine maker.They have tastings. West of Auckland are all the vinyards founded by the Dalmation settlers hundred odd years ago of which Nobilo is one. Waiheke Island has a micro climate and produces one of the countrys most sought after red wine "The Larouse". Cheers binman
Old Sep 13th 2006, 9:56 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by binman
As you drive out of Auckland International Airport you will pass Villa Maria New Zealands most successful wine maker.They have tastings. West of Auckland are all the vinyards founded by the Dalmation settlers hundred odd years ago of which Nobilo is one. Waiheke Island has a micro climate and produces one of the countrys most sought after red wine "The Larouse". Cheers binman
I'm salivating already - thank you!

And Cottage - I keep forgetting about hilly terrain in the North Island, thanks!!
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz
I'm salivating already - thank you!

And Cottage - I keep forgetting about hilly terrain in the North Island, thanks!!
I had a great Sunday "Brunch" in one near Kumeo does that count????
My version of taste/tours comes from "Foodtown" hey... buy a bottle, if its over $15 its gotta be decent!!!! I can honestly say there is very few NZ red wines of all varieties that I didn't like!!!!
But wine yards seem to be everywhere, its cool very mediteranian!!!!!??????
Old Sep 17th 2006, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz

Hi There

We have been to Napier and Hawkes Bay wineries. Church Road was beautiful and Mission, (went to the concert there too). Also went to Craggy Range(I think thats right) where we sat outside and had a beautiful meal and drank 3 bottles of gorgeous wine. Crab Farm in Napier has the most devine wine - we ALWAYS call in ther an buy a few cases as well. Most of the wineries have great resteraunts and great staff too!!

We also buy a lot of wine from www.blackmarket.co.nz they are chapear and if you know your wineries and NZ wines you get some great deals on good wines - half price!!

Ohhh - might go open one right now!