Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

#VeryBritishExpatProblems

#VeryBritishExpatProblems

Old Jul 25th 2014, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default #VeryBritishExpatProblems

... debating whether to put on another jumper or harden the f**k up and take an extra concrete pill.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Genie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really nice
Default Re: #VeryBritishExpatProblems

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
... debating whether to put on another jumper or harden the f**k up and take an extra concrete pill.

It's the end of July now, no hardening up needed....get that fire going!!!
Old Jul 25th 2014, 7:35 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

its all very good saying "go to Bunnings" "harden up" but that does not warm up the air around you which is my main moan about the lack of heating in houses.
The house we have moved to was built 2000 so not an old house. it has no internal wall insulation (thats being sorted for the bedrooms at the beginning of Aug) and one gas fire in the main living area. It does however have underfloor heating in the kitchen and the ensuite but takes hours to warm up and isn't on a timer so useless really. Luckily we have moved away from Wellington a bit and are on the Kapiti coast so its a bit warmer and have not had to put the heating, apart from heated blankets, much this winter but over the last week have felt the need to first thing in the mornings and a few evenings when the sun has not been out much in the day.
I say stick the fire on and wallow in its glow and be cuddled by its warmth.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Sod that for a game of soldiers (as the saying goes). Got our heat pumps coming on every morning at 6am & put them on in the day/evening as required.

I'm quite happy to tell any Kiwi where they can shove their 'concrete pill' thank you very much!
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:48 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I say stick the fire on and wallow in its glow and be cuddled by its warmth.
Coming right back at you !

BTW, would you get your gas cooker installed in your kitchen now that you have mains gas ?
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

I refuse to harden up or put on another jumper when my nose, ears and feet are freezing, so much so we have just had gas central heating with radiators fitted. Locals think we are mad, ex pats lovingly stroke the radiators.
I love a lot of what the kiwi's do but not their housing/heating/no double glazing!
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:01 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Sod that for a game of soldiers (as the saying goes). Got our heat pumps coming on every morning at 6am & put them on in the day/evening as required.

I'm quite happy to tell any Kiwi where they can shove their 'concrete pill' thank you very much!
Ours come on at 6am, off at 8am. On at 5pm and off at 10pm. Gas fire on in the evenings when we switch the heatpump off early. Upstairs heatpump (ducted warm air to all bedrooms and airing cupboard) stay on until bed time so we go to sleep in a warm room. We wake up in a warm bedroom in a warm house the following morning. We eat breakfast in warm dining room. We come home to a warm house. It's just like being at home. Y'know where heating is taken for granted, not a talking point in conversation and on the t.v.!

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 26th 2014 at 2:06 am. Reason: heating
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:43 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Coming right back at you !

BTW, would you get your gas cooker installed in your kitchen now that you have mains gas ?
hopefully when we have some money. Just need to hope that the ******* thing works after sitting in a garage for over 2 years, so far. The supposed saving of not selling reall still doesn't wash with me but hey ho its here and he wants it in but not looking like kitchen will get done any time soon as MrF wants to rip out all the cupboards and start again.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Calculating the optimum combination of body parts to sell to pay for the July power bill.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 10:57 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I pay a straight $180 per fortnight to the energy company year round. This results in a massive surplus so no scrimping on using heating and no winter bills. Sadly, the heating and insulation in this house is crap so we are still cold.

We built a house six years ago and we used noise cancelling insulation in all internal walls (as well as max insulation in all external walls) and the builders thought we were mental. It was brilliant ; I just don't understand why houses here are built so crap.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

I was barefeet on the beach yesterday
Old Jul 26th 2014, 8:18 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
I was barefeet on the beach yesterday
Yep. That's what I love about Kiwi winter. My husband got sunburn reading on the deck yesterday ... Doesn't mean the nights in an uninsulated wooden house aren't cold tho.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I pay a straight $180 per fortnight to the energy company year round. This results in a massive surplus so no scrimping on using heating and no winter bills.
Great idea I will do this in the spring
Old Jul 27th 2014, 8:05 am
---

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Great idea I will do this in the spring
Just don't bother letting them know that's what you're doing or they start taking over and trying to call it 'smooth pay' and telling you you can't do it before you've lived in the house a year, etc, etc. I just set it up via my online banking and it means you always get the maximum prompt payment discount, which can be quite substantial.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

up here in the Waikato its shorts n t shirts for me when I get home from work

100 year old house + central heating = lovely !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.