British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Very unusual problem, only in New Zealand, any tips? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/very-unusual-problem-only-new-zealand-any-tips-683841/)

Jan n Neil Sep 2nd 2010 9:45 pm

Very unusual problem, only in New Zealand, any tips?

1 Attachment(s)
As you know, the combination of the hole on the ozone layer and the pure air , take the UV factors of NZ sunlight off the scale. :thumbup:

Well, our pretty new puppy has a partially pink nose. And he is a collie. The two together mean sun burn to his little hooter, which could be very nasty and lead to all sorts of problems for him. Collies are especially prone to this and our vet said we HAD to protect his little nose.

Any ideas? Any extra sticky sun cream available that he can't lick off? Help!!! :rofl:

Jan

Moses65 Sep 2nd 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Very unusual problem, only in New Zealand, any tips?

Try the sunblock that skiers use. I used it on my white cat in the UK for his nose and the remainders of his ears (he had already lost the tips of the ears before we got him) and was great. He couldnt wash it off and we ended up getting funky colours.

Am Loolah Sep 2nd 2010 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Moses65 (Post 8822262)
Try the sunblock that skiers use. I used it on my white cat in the UK for his nose and the remainders of his ears (he had already lost the tips of the ears before we got him) and was great. He couldnt wash it off and we ended up getting funky colours.

I think it's Zinc cream, comes in an array of colours, find it in any surf/ski shop.:fingerscrossed:

Mgee Sep 3rd 2010 1:15 am

I bought some sun cream from our vet for our collies who have plenty of white on their faces, including white ear tips. It doesn't smell too bad so that they are still able to sniff around for interesting scents. HTH.

mickey_d Sep 3rd 2010 2:34 am

1 Attachment(s)
:thumbup:.

Jan n Neil Sep 3rd 2010 3:18 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 8822542)
:thumbup:.

erm, I'm not sure a 6 month old collie would wear those clothes :rofl: but very fetching :thumbup:

Expat Kiwi Sep 3rd 2010 3:26 am

I think you can get the top of his nose tatooed black, honestly!!

http://www.professorshouse.com/pets/...ning-pink.aspx

Jan n Neil Sep 3rd 2010 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 8822604)
I think you can get the top of his nose tatooed black, honestly!!

http://www.professorshouse.com/pets/...ning-pink.aspx

yes you can, but most schools of thought say that it doesn't provide sun protection, I looked into it. Also its quite traumatic, the dog is fully sedated....

I'll go with sticky sun cream :thumbsup:

Persephone Sep 3rd 2010 10:13 am

Yes collies do seem prone to having issues with their noses and UV light. Unfortunately there isn't much else you can do apart from the suggestions mentioned above. A UV block for his pink nose applied frequently and also try and keep him inside as much as possible when the UV is at its very worst. Often they do just try and lick it off:sneaky: I have seen Filtabac cream at the surgeries I have been working in which is a sunblock for animals but have no experience of using it so cannot say how "unlickable" it is.
Otherwise try normal human high factor suncream, you may have to do a bit of experimentation.

Cute pup:D

bourbon-biscuit Sep 3rd 2010 10:20 am

My baby has a pink bit on her nose and I use zinc stick.

BEVS Sep 3rd 2010 10:21 am

Should I be zinc sticking me cats nose and ears?

Persephone Sep 3rd 2010 11:01 am

Are they white? Cats can develop solar dermatitis which leads to a certain type of cancer growth all down to UV light but it's only really seen on white ears, noses and eyelids. Tends not to be a problem elsewhere on the body . Unfortunately it is very common, used to see it a lot in the UK as well:(

BEVS Sep 3rd 2010 11:02 am

Pale. Very pale.

Persephone Sep 3rd 2010 11:15 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8823224)
Pale. Very pale.

Might be worth trying especially if it's a very sunny day. I can only recall seeing the problem in those with pure white ears and noses, not to say it couldn't happen though. Starts off looking like sunburn or a wound that will not heal and then progresses if the UV damage continues.

Moses65 Sep 3rd 2010 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8823141)
Should I be zinc sticking me cats nose and ears?

If the cats is pale I really would suggest it. The white cat we had in the UK came with his ears 'tipped' from solar induced squamous cell carcinoma but ended up having them totally removed. We still loved him but he did look real weird with no ears. Sadly the cancer returned and affected his nose... hence he is no longer with us.