British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   VERY IMPORTANT (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/very-important-638595/)

Ray Nov 2nd 2009 3:29 am

VERY IMPORTANT

So last year at Christmas a group of us in the lounge were made aware of a group of kid who lived without parents in the US
one of our members (sugarmomma) was their social worker .... somebody suggested why not sent them a Christmas card from
the various States wishing them a happy Christmas ...

Most of the card held a few dollars so they could buy a few extras ..from these kind people
we even had card arriving from Canada and Dingo and you just cannot believe how little is was to do ...but what a great effect it had ...

So I though lets expand it a bit this years and get kids in the US Canada Australia NZ and even the UK

so if there are any Social workers or you know of any kids in a family who we could send a bunch of card too

We will just go for one group per country this year

Matewx Nov 2nd 2009 3:51 am

Re: VERY IMPORTANT

Count me in :D

weejie Nov 2nd 2009 8:04 am

Me too,fantastic idea....have a mate who is a social worker in Inverness in Scotland. I will be in touch with her soon

Phyl x

MnB Nov 2nd 2009 8:22 am

Fantastic idea.... will wait for the info!!
B x

love30stm Nov 3rd 2009 1:27 am

Count me in too

shirl Nov 3rd 2009 11:14 pm

Me too!:):thumbup:

lardyl Nov 3rd 2009 11:41 pm

Yep, Lardies too - anyone want to organise it?

/Steps back as has too much "cat herding" to do already..../

pixi-dust Nov 3rd 2009 11:58 pm

I'm in :D

Rustie Nov 4th 2009 1:57 am

What a lovely idea! I'm definately in! :thumbsup:

Dewb09 Nov 4th 2009 1:28 pm

Brilliant, look forward to more news :thumbsup:

Dewb

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 4th 2009 6:02 pm

I'm in :thumbsup:

j19fmm Nov 5th 2009 1:39 pm

Count us in too :thumbup:

BEVS Nov 6th 2009 12:26 am

Brilliant . Loads of us are up for it.

I enter into the spirit of this last year when I happened upon the thread in The Lounge.
As they were American kids , I sent over a very Kiwi Christmas card , a bit of a message, some bits about where I lived and some NZ$ notes as I thought they may have found it interesting to see the different currency and then go to a bank to exchange them for US$.

I PMd with Ray I think, and he sent me the details of where to send the card . Sugarmooma, as their advocate, received them to her office and then she delivered them to the kids.

Here are the threads from last year if you are interested.

This thread and
this thread

I'm up for sending something to the chosen recipients for OZ, USA , Canada etc as well as for NZ just so they have a card from another country to open. :)

What we really need now are some NZ recipients. Maybe youngsters living without their parents , where the older ones take care of the younger ones as was done last year or maybe relocated refugee youngsters or perhaps youngsters taking care of a parent in a family situation.......... I dunno.......

Anyone any thoughts?
Is there a social worker on the board that can help?

Ray Dec 14th 2009 2:58 am

So Cards should have gone out this weekend ...

Was it sucessful

BEVS Dec 14th 2009 5:17 am

No Ray. We are still struggling for a recipient.

Me and Am Loo both found possibles . Hers didn't respond through a week of trying for contact.. Mine - I am still waiting.....

I'm not giving up though. Not yet.
It aint over til the podgy lady ( me ) sings.