Vermin

Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:52 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vermin

Oh and on rats and mice ....the bloody blue bait blocks DON'T work - set a couple and they haven't been touched depsite droppings all around them.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
Oh and on rats and mice ....the bloody blue bait blocks DON'T work - set a couple and they haven't been touched depsite droppings all around them.
I read somewhere that artificial sweetners or beer are a safe alternative for killing rice and rats. Supposedly they eat or drink the above and then blow up and die. Seems a waste of beer but if it works!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:45 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nero
I read somewhere that artificial sweetners or beer are a safe alternative for killing rice and rats. Supposedly they eat or drink the above and then blow up and die. Seems a waste of beer but if it works!
...wrong sort of rat....that'd be a 'love rat' - a sub species of the human male, habitat - cheesy bars, prey - anything in a skirt that breathes, if you feed it a combination of beer AND sweetners 'only for girls - real men eat sugar' they will blow up (or fart a lot)
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I found the best way to get rats to eat bait is to have it in a tub under the sink, the buggers chew through the tub and eat the lot! Blue poop everywhere! Unfortunately that's when they chew through the water pipes to the dishwasher and filtered water as well

Have you tried putting peanut butter on the bait? Apparently they go mad for the stuff. We've had no problem getting them to eat the bait, you do need to hide all other food stuff away as well so they're hungery. We also have an old fashioned trap but i hate the thing.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
What problems do Weasels cause?
Same as stoats, in that they kill young birds, eggs, etc.... I've not had much of a problem with them (touch wood!) but one of my chooks was bitten by something, probably one of them, when she was sitting on eggs, and a neighbour has lost several young ducks to them.

Alot of people get problems with pukeko around flat grass areas, they eat young and eggs as well, but we haven't had any problems with them and i think they're lovely!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:58 pm
Cow on the Beach

Originally Posted by Rustie
I found the best way to get rats to eat bait is to have it in a tub under the sink, the buggers chew through the tub and eat the lot! Blue poop everywhere! Unfortunately that's when they chew through the water pipes to the dishwasher and filtered water as well

Have you tried putting peanut butter on the bait? Apparently they go mad for the stuff. We've had no problem getting them to eat the bait, you do need to hide all other food stuff away as well so they're hungery. We also have an old fashioned trap but i hate the thing.
They're not getting any food from us....maybe next door......I'll try the peanut butter trick as I used to bait mouse traps with it in the Uk and it worked a treat. My cat and i had a running comeption who could kill the most....but since the flight over here he just looks at the mice with in difference! Perhaps the Department of Conservation had a word with him at the airport about not endangering local wildlife
Old Aug 10th 2009, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

I have that problem with mine as well Wooly!! I've one pommie cat and a kiwi one and both of them seem to look the other way!

In fact my daughter walked into her bedroom and spotted a mouse on her bed that quickly dashed off it when she walked in......the cat was led on the same bed not far from the mouse!!! Garfield anyone???

I think my neighbour sends her skinny cat up occasionally as she's sometimes in the chook pen chasing the mice and rats for me, unfortunately she hasn't trained (or shamed!) my cats into it yet!
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:49 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nero
We geta Weta's in our garden and in our garage! They are funny looking things - have to say they are not my favourite insects prefer the preying mantis (now they are beautiful)
Oddly enough I'm not afraid of praying mantis, we have bright green ones here in Egypt and they can be huge. The way they look right at you is rather cute in a freaky way
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:51 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
Anyone seen the Cook Stait Giant Weta - saw a couple on Somes Island on the weekend in the Weta Hotel - bodies as long as my palm and as thick as my thumb .....
OK ticking that off my list of places to see should we ever land in New Zealand.

Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:52 pm
We're HERE!!!

http://www.naturespic.com/NewZealand/image.asp?id=15089

Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

Not to open a new thread, I thought to revive this.

I goggled for ticks and the only one in NZ seems to be cattle tick. So there should be no lyme disease nor meningitis in NZ caused by those?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:08 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Yes. The NZ native skunk thrives in the southern end of the North Island. They favour snug,secure, arbours colloquially referred to as" beehives " for mutual preening and bottom licking. If cornered it becomes exceedingly docile and pathetic in nature - this is only a ruse however - as it dispenses a unique vomit inducing scent of corruption.
Sadly impossible to avoid as the " scent of corruption " gets carried to all parts of the country by the winds of Wellington. A culling programme has been mooted.
Tee Hee, a smidgen of political sattire methinks
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:10 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rustie
...unfortunately she hasn't trained (or shamed!) my cats into it yet!
Cut down the amount you feed your cats that should incent them...
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

donnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura about

Oh dear just how bad are the mozzies? I hate them, they love me - am I going to be eaten alive? What do people recommend to deter them?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

saw a dead rat when walking home thru Botany precinct the other night.. and we have seen a few cockroaches in the rented flat we're in at the mo..
saw a wuhu bug in the Coromandel.. fascinating... in fact spent an hour in the library reading a book on all the wildlife of NZ. cant wait to see a Weta!
jax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.