Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Veggies Delight, Quorn arrives in Countdown!!!

Veggies Delight, Quorn arrives in Countdown!!!

Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all
Default Re: Veggies Delight, Quorn arrives in Countdown!!!

Moving to New Plymouth in mid April Andy (just as well as I can't see Quorn taking off in Hawera). See you at the Quorn section, perhaps there will be fistycuffs over the last packet of Swedish "meatballs".
Old Mar 18th 2013, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well we must meet up I think. No swedish meatballs yet! Countdown has pieces, mince, nuggets, burgers, southern style burgers and a couple of others that i can't remember. It is made in Oz now so it looks like it might be here to stay.
Are you going to be teaching in NP?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Hawera's New World has Quorn in stock and I've just been down and cleaned them out!

Will be working in Hawera this year - doing the dreaded commute but I think it's worth it. I'll give you a shout when we're settled and we'll have a BE meet up!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I've just checked on the newer Countdown in Dunedin and they do stock it too, well out of my price range though.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it about $9 for 300g which works out about the same as the chicken we buy ($22 per kg)? One bag of that does curry for the 4 of us.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyEvs
Isn't it about $9 for 300g which works out about the same as the chicken we buy ($22 per kg)? One bag of that does curry for the 4 of us.
It's £1.89 each or 3 for £5 at the Asda back in the UK. I could afford Quorn back in the UK but $9 for a bag here is way too much for me.

I'm not sure how much chicken is, I'm a veggie.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:32 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, so the fish and chip supper is off is it ? Or will you just have chips should we ever venture down Dunedin way ?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah it is mad expensive when compared to the UK, but what isn't?
(rhetorical question not designed to provoke tedious response from forum members who believe that the sun shines out of NZ)
Old Mar 21st 2013, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Oh, so the fish and chip supper is off is it ? Or will you just have chips should we ever venture down Dunedin way ?
For the price of 6 quorn sausages I could feed the entire street down at our local chippy!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:18 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I used to eat Quorn in Britain about 20 years ago when it was the low fat wonder food of the day. I thought that buying it and cooking with it would help take the pressure off the world's natural resources. As takes a right load of water and feed plus other expenses just to get one animal to slaughter.

This was back in the day when I also tried to have one meat free dinner per week.

My husband was sceptical of what Quorn actually was. Describing it as mushrooms and egg white just made him

When I felt it took longer to prepare a ratatouille or a stuffed aubergine meal I just thought, sod it, we'll be having meat dinners from now on. TVP ? Textured Vegetable Protein ? Don't even go there !

(Matt, so chips are ok then ?)
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:05 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyEvs
$22/kilo serious? Its $13/kilo in New World and $9.95/kilo in Pak n Save

Chicken breast, skin on.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

$22/kg for free range chicken at Countdown (I can't bring myself to buy the other stuff).
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 2:36 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Would you Adam and Eve it?! Went into Countdown for the first time in three months, and forgot to look for Quorn. Not only that, but PNS didn't have any Robinsons Summer Fruits, AND no idea when the next container is due in from England!!

It's the end of the world as we know it!
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by downunderpom
Would you Adam and Eve it?! Went into Countdown for the first time in three months, and forgot to look for Quorn. Not only that, but PNS didn't have any Robinsons Summer Fruits, AND no idea when the next container is due in from England!!

It's the end of the world as we know it!
I took a photo of the Quorn section in our CountUp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...DA1C4F849B.jpg
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I was so pleased to see Quorn in Countdown and New world as I used to buy it in UK. But since eating it May-June 2013 I've felt unwell. Stomach pains, cramps, aching as if I have flu. I was just wondering if I'm allergic to the 'new' Quorn products? Shame as I thought it would be a nice change to try it occasionally.

I found these websites and more where people have left comments complaining of reactions as far back as 2002.

http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/

http://cspinet.org/new/pdf/quorn-let...ov-15-2011.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.