British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Veggies Delight, Quorn arrives in Countdown!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/veggies-delight-quorn-arrives-countdown-789856/)

killercat Mar 8th 2013 8:05 am

Veggies Delight, Quorn arrives in Countdown!!!

Hi to any fellow veggies, Countdown have finally agreed to a trial of Quorn products, :) my local one in Silverdale has a small selection but more than enough to save be driving to Onehunga or North shore :)

TommyLuck Mar 8th 2013 8:19 am

Re: Veggies Delight, Quorn arrives in Countdown!!!

Isn't Quorn one the ultimate of processed foods?

downunderpom Mar 8th 2013 8:45 am

Mrs DUP will be ecstatic. I'm quite chuffed, too. I always did like the Tesco's cottage pie. :thumbsup:

Engel Mar 9th 2013 5:45 pm

Quorn is a super invention from ICI.

It is basicaly fungus grown in giant vats in the North-East of England.

In one way, it is less processed than many foods. In its plain form it is like diced mushroom, pretty bland. However, it is often used in ready meals as a mince substitute. Very easy to cook with. No nasty bacteria or ecoli. Unless you bring it with you to the kitchen.

TommyLuck Mar 11th 2013 11:00 am

Of course it's massively processed, based on what you say about the product the flavour must be entirely artificial.

Sherlock Holmes Mar 11th 2013 11:01 am

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 10596668)
Of course it's massively processed, based on what you say about the product the flavour must be entirely artificial.

It HAS a flavour?? :D

Engel Mar 11th 2013 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 10596668)

I guess "processed" is a relative term. If you compare minced beef to minced Quorn, Quorn is less processed. No need for slaughter, rendering, mechanicaly recover etc. I eat mince, Quorn and even soya mix. Quorn is the one that need the most flavouring. I often let it sit for a while on some peeled pumb tomatoes and Worctershire sauce.

TommyLuck Mar 12th 2013 9:32 am

Quorn is simply not a natural product. It's about as natural as a hard boiled sweet, albeit with much less sugar.

It's mass produced funghi that's then processed, then frozen (usually) and then sits about in a deep freeze until bunged under someones grill or in the oven.

I have nothing against vegetarianism, but I don't get the eating crap full of additives and toxins in the name of vegetarianism?

It can not be good for you!!

For that matter most things that arrive in your shopping bag in a cardboard box or plastic vacuum packaging aren't good for you, quorn or not.

I envy vegetarians because they have the easiest ride of all choosing a lifestyle that could be really healthy, tasty, good food. Then they go an buy Quorn and ruin it all.

Bah!!!!!!!!!!

Bo-Jangles Mar 12th 2013 10:39 am

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 10598578)
I have nothing against vegetarianism, but I don't get the eating crap full of additives and toxins in the name of vegetarianism?

So which crap, additives and toxins exactly are in Quorn?

I wouldn't have considered it any worse light than any cultured milk products, yoghurt, mouldy cheeses or fermented products, yeasts, starters, kefir, tofu etc.

TommyLuck Mar 12th 2013 11:44 am

I think you think I'm angling at the bacterial aspect, focussing on the funghi, which I'm not. It's the additives, preservatives, colourings that go into it.

At least a decent unpastuerised cheese is still a natural product that just been left to develop in it's own natural way.

The vegetarian lifestyle is one whereby it's much easier to find natural produce that is high in nutritional value and low in toxins.

And then the food companies weigh in with their powerful marketing conning everyone to use quorn as a healthly protein substitute.

That it might be, but price aside the same weight of Quorn has half the protien of a chicken breast.

I don't subscribe to a 'paleo' diet, I don't think it's enjoyable, nor sustainable ... but there is something to be said for eating as naturally as possible for the main part.

It's probably true that "a little of what you fancy does you good", but does Quorn really fall in to that catagory? Is it really a product worthy of being called a treat?

AndyEvs Mar 12th 2013 6:36 pm

TommyLuck, I'm sure we would all be interested to know where you are getting your information and whether you can point us to the peer reviewed articles that back up your assertion that Quorn is "crap full of additives and toxins".

You state that there is

"powerful marketing conning everyone to use quorn as a healthly protein substitute. That it might be, but price aside the same weight of Quorn has half the protien of a chicken breast."

Which takes no account of the drugs and hormones which are pumped into the average battery farmed hen.

In my, fairly limited, research I found that Quorn had been challenged in america by The American Mushroom Institute who contended that it is not mushroom based (as I think some advertising had indicated) but is in fact a fungi. The Center for Science in the Public Interest (in America) raised concerns over research that suggested it "sickens 4.5% of eaters". That figure was disputed by both the company, citing a possible allegic reaction in 0.0007% and also by a number of academics.

A gut feeling that Quorn is a processed product that "can not be good for you!!" really doesn't give us a clue as to what evidence you are basing these statements on.

And yes to put things in context the Evans family had Quorn curry for dinner last night, and very yummy it was too.

AndyEvs Mar 13th 2013 4:52 am

WoooooooHooooooo!!!!!
Just been to New World in New Plymouth and they had Quorn. We quite literally emptied the freezer!

Back to the other point, beyond fruit and veg, what isn't processed these days? Cheese? Do me a favour. Meat/poultry? Have you seen what they are fed on? Pasta? Ham? Bacon?
And no I'm not a veggie, not even close.

TommyLuck Mar 13th 2013 7:32 am

You are absolutely right, hence my comment about a vegetarian lifestyle being much easier to find fresh produce, with high nutritional value, low in toxins.

It's extremely difficult to find lovingly reared, fresh, natural meat and fish. No hormones, not force fed.

It is possible to find ham and bacon that isn't processed. I make mine at home, though true enough I don't rear and kill the piggy myself. I will buy a cut from the butcher and age and dry the meat my self.

It's the way forward.

I make my own sausages from scratch too.

So why, when you're avoiding this by definition of being vegetarian would you turn to a product that is vat made and is certainly not a freshly made and prepared, ergo whilst it may satiate you and taste good, this doesn't mean it is good for you.

By the way I use the same soap box for 'healthy' cereal bars, low fat or light products, etc.

The latest thing to take off in the UK - The Breakfast Biscuit - do me a favour!! :sneaky:

Bo-Jangles Mar 13th 2013 7:37 am

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 10600615)
The latest thing to take off in the UK - The Breakfast Biscuit - do me a favour!! :sneaky:

Best you bubble wrap and pack that soap box cos you'll be needing it in NZ too, especially when you find the Belvita breakfast buscuits are not unique to UK. :lol:

AndyEvs Mar 13th 2013 8:18 am

"this doesn't mean it is good for you."
So, let me get this clear are you saying it is bad for you?
Based on what empirical evidence?