Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Veggies Delight, Quorn arrives in Countdown!!!

Veggies Delight, Quorn arrives in Countdown!!!

Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Veggies Delight, Quorn arrives in Countdown!!!

"As sales of frozen burgers have tumbled amid further evidence of horsemeat in a range of meat products including ready meals, Quorn – the UK's biggest vegetarian ready meal brand – said last week that it had seen sales growth more than double in the second half of February as shoppers snapped up its burgers, mince and sausages made from a form of fungus."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/ma...scandal-survey
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is bad for you. In order to be a food that starts as a fungus, cultivated in a vat and turned into 'food' there are too many addetives and preservatives going in to this product for it to benefit your health.

Sure enough, it wont kill you stone dead, but over time it wont do you any favours.

Look around you. Obeseity and overweight people are all around us. Billions of people are lead to this by being coerced in to making the wrong choices.

I was a case in point. Until recently.

You want empirical evidence?

I'm a sporty person; Cycling (80-100 miles a week), Football (one 11 a-side game a week), gym (3-5 times a week).

Check out this link;

http://www.finalphasefitness.co.uk/before-and-after/

The guy labelled 'Sam', is me.

I by and large cut out the 'crap' food and that is what happened over the course of 6 months. My exercise regime has been the same throughout.

I have since improved further on the picture on the right.

I have absolutely NO problem with people who are happy with themselves, whatever weight they carry.

How can I judge? I was once 18 stone, although 15 and half stone in the picture on the left.

But in my recent experience many are not.

My fat (not weight!!!) loss has lead to many a person cornering me to ask how I did it. I explain the basic principles and people are appalled (almost offended) when I tell them the list of things they shouldn't be eating.

What bothers me is gigantic food corperations fooling everyone in sundry that they are eating healthily when they are not. Quorn is a case in point.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Mar 13th 2013 at 11:08 am.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Best you bubble wrap and pack that soap box cos you'll be needing it in NZ too, especially when you find the Belvita breakfast buscuits are not unique to UK.

Thankfully, it's just as well I can choose not to buy them in NZ, as I do in the UK.

We all like a treat, I went for a few beers and curry last night after going to watch some football.

But what is essentially a treat for breakfast, and a pretty average treat to boot - is marketed as a healthly breakfast option and people buy in to it.

Of course, 'lil old me cant hope to complete with a multi-multi-billion dollar industry. I can but try from my soap box.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Tommy but that is not empirical evidence that Quorn is bad for you, only evidence that a change in diet and exercise habits will impact on your health and weight.

So far all we have is your opinion. What exactly is added to Quorn during it's production? Have you worked in the factory that makes it? Can you give us a detailed list?

In 2008 I took up running and cycling and changed my diet. I lost just over 15kg and also had a number of people asking how I did it. My answer is simply exercise more and eat less. Which is what I did.
However, I could state that I decreased my intact of red meat and increased my intake of Quorn and use that as some kind of justification for the following statement

QUORN IS GOOD FOR YOU

Clearly basing that statement on that evidence would be total nonsense.

So I'm afraid you still have provided nothing in terms of justification of your views on Quorn.

Last edited by AndyEvs; Mar 13th 2013 at 6:10 pm. Reason: Because
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

To be honest my last post was a holding post.

I'm going to the supermarket this evening and am going to take a snapshot of the nutritional information and ingredients of Quorn.

Frankly however, anything that isn't meat but is made to look like meat, which some Quorn products are, just isn't right. It has to have been modified so much, it'll be nowhere near its natural state.

Nutritionists the world over will tell you that one should really eat products that are in their natural state, where possible.

Which is why someone like Dr Lustig (look him up) will tell you that fruit juice is no good, but whole fruit is fine.

And, I would wholly disagree with this;

"My answer is simply exercise more and eat less."

It's not scientific enough and is exactly the view that food companies use to market their "healthy" options.

If anything, I eat MORE!!!

Not all calories are made equal, again something Lustig would agree with.

If I'm eating 100 calories of a chocolate bar (bad carbs), compared to 100 calories of salmon (protein) they both have a very different effect on the metabolism of the body.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Mar 13th 2013 at 6:17 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

You would wholly disagree with my description of how I lost 15kg and improved my fitness?

Brilliant, I must have imagined the whole thing. But thanks for the useful info on carbs I had no idea that the calorific content of chocolate is different to that of salmon...........

I think I'll save people from the boredom of me describing my diet or exercise regime, here or elsewhere online and go for a long run with some top quality trance instead.

Last edited by AndyEvs; Mar 13th 2013 at 7:57 pm. Reason: Charity
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:34 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just use mushrooms? Portabello mushrooms have a lovely meaty flavour and texture.

Originally Posted by AndyEvs
.....go for a long run with some top quality trance instead.
Andy got any recommendations (sorry changing subject), I have a load of Global Underground/Sasha/John Digweed/Oakenfold mixes, which are getting a bit stale and since moved on to DNB.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Now we're talking! I have loads of Global Underground, Sasha, Digweed etc too. Was really into breakbeat for a while too but for running there is nothing better than Above & Beyond, either the old podcasts 'Trance Around the World' (250 is my fave) or the new 'Group Therapy' podcasts. They are all available to download. I also really like the Eric Prydz podcast and for D&B I still really rate High Contrast and the Hospital Radio podcasts.
Think I might post separately about my new gadget that I am listening to a podcast on right now.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Well who'd of thought one little comment for my fellow veggie friends would cause such a debate! Me personally, i dont really care what goes in it, i like it and will carry on eating it as im sure will many. We all have a choice what we put in our bodies and there is good and bad in most things, but hey we only have one life and its up to all of us what we do with it.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engel
Quorn is a super invention from ICI.

It is basicaly fungus grown in giant vats in the North-East of England.

In one way, it is less processed than many foods. In its plain form it is like diced mushroom, pretty bland. However, it is often used in ready meals as a mince substitute. Very easy to cook with. No nasty bacteria or ecoli. Unless you bring it with you to the kitchen.
May as well use mushrooms and add some spice then. Probably a whole lot cheaper and healthier too. I never really got the Quorn thing in the UK. If yu are veggie why do you need a meat subsitute?
Kaz
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Protein. Variety. Texture.

Just a guess on my part.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

For us it's the mince and the pieces that mean that as a family (where only my wife is a vegetarian) we can easily knock up meals that we will all eat (chilli, wraps, curry, lasagne etc) rather than cooking 2 separate dishes.
In addition, stuff like chicken nuggets (when the kids were younger) have such a lot of crap in them that I used to make my own or use the Quorn ones which ultimately I felt were a bit better health wise.
Ultimately it's all about personal choice isn't it? I make no claim to eat the healthiest of diet, Quorn or otherwise, but I also don't drink 10L of coke a day and never eat at MacDonalds, KFC or Subway. So while I won't tell you Quorn is the healthiest food on the planet I'll eat what I jolly well choose to and the food nazis can stick their macrobiotic, sugar-free, yoghurt-knitting, diet fad, holier than thou ideas in the processor with their hideous green smoothies!!!!!

Last edited by AndyEvs; Mar 18th 2013 at 12:47 am. Reason: Spelling and calming down
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

You have made my night!!! Quorn is what I miss the most, second to family and friends! Yay! I'm back to being a veggie! No need for chicken anymore.

And for those who say it has no taste, maybe not but it picks up the flavours of a mean curry!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Mate ! Difficult to get a flavoursome chicken that one can afford anyway. Am wanting a neighbour with land to grow up some meat chickens but am meeting with resistance, At least that way I'd know they were organic and fed well with happy lives.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Heathergirl, you'll need to be quick, it seems every time we go into countdown or new world now we empty their freezer of Quorn products!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.