Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Valuing things like Ikea furniture for shipping insurance

Valuing things like Ikea furniture for shipping insurance

Old Nov 21st 2016, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

stevelancaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Valuing things like Ikea furniture for shipping insurance

How did you all go about valuing items like Ikea furniture, which is not available in NZ, for shipping insurance?

Anyone subsequently make a claim against these values? How did you get on?
Old Nov 21st 2016, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valuing things like Ikea furniture for shipping insurance

I looked in to valuing each item for the shipping insurance but it got so insanely tedious I just specified the bigger items and then guessed the rest to come up with a total figure so we could work out the premium. Anything small and valuable - e.g watches / jewelry we wore on our persons for the journey so it was covered on our travel insurance.
I was almost ready to hit the buy button for the shipping insurance with Letton Percival in Liverpool when I received an email from my new job company offering to cover the whole lot for free...good call...saved us a pretty sum did that!
You can get some items of Ikea furniture here but not much. There's an outlet place in Auckland that does advertise some items of Ikea furniture.
If any is damaged in transit and you claim on the insurance, be aware as always there's an excess to pay...check the small print as the excess may be payable on each item claimed for. Most likely they'll just offer you dollars for it anyway. They won't bother trying to replace it.
We didn't claim on our shipping insurance as nothing was damaged, but in the years since we have claimed on shipping insurance within NZ (removals insurance which is inherently the same). On the last move from Wellington to Tauranga we claimed for a large Ikea chest of drawers that were damaged, the wheeled BBW which was damaged, our outdoor table top which was damaged and my electric golf trolley which had one of the wheels torn off. They sent out a claims inspector to check how bad they were damaged and then came back to us with an offer. The only thing they took away and fixed was the electric golf trolley. That was sent to a golf equipment repairer in Auckland who replaced the damaged parts and sent it back to me. All the rest of the stuff was still useable of a fashion with some minor tweaking with a hammer so they just offered us a few hundred dollars for the damage. We said we wanted the chest replacing or a full new bedroom suite of furniture as it matched but they wouldn't even entertain it. Said they couldn't source the Ikea furniture in NZ and wouldn't pay for overseas items and refused to replace the whole set. Said they'd send it away to be repaired before they did any of that. I declined, took the money and fixed it myself.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Valuing things like Ikea furniture for shipping insurance

Agree that the inventory became exceedingly tedious very quickly, for our ikea items I did a quick search for items I considered similar and found their general price (the cubed storage like kallax can be found, its not the same but not massively different at the end of the day)... at the end of the day our goods were valued at £25k which translated to about $70nzd which was converted back to £40k which is what the insurance figure was calculated on... I suddenly felt a bit silly having very fancy Royal Doulton crockery and glassware from Harrods that would cost a bomb to replace in NZ but were all purchased very savvy like in the UK in clearance sales etc