Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Vacuum/space saver bags

Vacuum/space saver bags

Old May 14th 2013, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold
Default Vacuum/space saver bags

Has anyone used the vacuum space saver bags in their suitcases on the flight over?
OH is concerned that the X-ray machine will show a large mass and they will want to open it, I don't think it will make any difference on the X-ray

Of course there is always the risk that they will want to open it!
Old May 14th 2013, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacuum/space saver bags

It may show a large mass but clothes, vacuumed or not, will not stop X-rays passing through them.

The machines highlight areas of concern to the operator, splitting the image in to organic, inorganic and metal. Providing you don't pack some power adapters or chargers in the middle of the clothes so it looks filled with wires I'm sure you'll be fine.

If they do want to inspect further you may be able to ask them to do a chemical swab check or get a dog in for a sniff rather than open the bag up.
Old May 14th 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011 View Post
Has anyone used the vacuum space saver bags in their suitcases on the flight over?
OH is concerned that the X-ray machine will show a large mass and they will want to open it, I don't think it will make any difference on the X-ray

Of course there is always the risk that they will want to open it!
My son was talking about using bags too. My only worry is that we'd go way over weight x
Old May 15th 2013, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem I can see is if they want you to open it, suddenly theres not enough room in your suitcase.
Old May 16th 2013, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Generally you'll run out of weight allowance well before running out of space, unless you're filling the case with spongey lightweight things.

There really is only so much you can get into one case and if push come to shove, sitting on it usually works.
Old May 16th 2013, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

I foresee hilarious, 1970's sitcom style shenanigans at the airport as your suitcase starts expanding, groaning and eventually exploding showering the checkin staff with your underwear.
Please make sure you get a video!