Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

V.A.T. Advice on Purchases

V.A.T. Advice on Purchases

Old Apr 23rd 2006, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future
Default V.A.T. Advice on Purchases

Dont know how true this is, but one of the shipping companys that has quoted us have sudgested that if we were going to buy a new fridge/freezer, Washer and dishwasher ( which we might cos the intrigrated stuff will be sold with the house). That we should not have to pay the VAT on such purchases as we are taking them out of the EU. They also sudgested that we un pack them and fill them with cushions b4 they go in the container.
Point is i sudgested this to the guy in Currys and he thought i' come from another planet.

Has anyone had any experience of this as i could save me a small fortune if true.

Yes i know that i should really pay import duty if it is new but .. well you know what i mean

btw 29 days and counting (OMG :scared: )
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:29 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: V.A.T. Advice on Purchases

Originally Posted by MV5555
Dont know how true this is, but one of the shipping companys that has
Not sure what the legal rulings are, but I suspect that the high street retailers will not be able to sell you items VAT free as this is against their understanding of sales law. If they do manage to do it, they will need to see evidence of migration plus the legal proof that they should be sold VAT free.

Alternatively it may be your responsibility to reclaim the VAT.

I would phone the head office of Currys for example and ask the question to someone senior in the tax department and take it from there.

Interesting thought though.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:08 pm
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all
Default Re: V.A.T. Advice on Purchases

There is the VAT Retail Export Scheme where you buy from a retailer that supports the scheme and then claim the VAT back at your point of exit from the country, but you have to be able to show the customs officer the goods when claiming it back, so not very practical for whiteware, and it doesn't allow goods that will be exported as freight which may well cover personal effects. You could call HMRC on the phone number given in the link, they will tell you if this is possible.