British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Utility providers - Wellington area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/utility-providers-wellington-area-745589/)

shades Jan 19th 2012 10:58 pm

Utility providers - Wellington area

We've just moved into our rental in Whitby & were wondering who are the best value Utility providers to use?

Electricity
Gas
Internet/Phone
TV

Kimi-Deacon Jan 19th 2012 11:34 pm

Re: Utility providers - Wellington area

Best to shop around really but we have always used Genesis.

Welcome to the area we are in Aotea but used to live in Whitby.

Tom1983 Jan 20th 2012 12:28 am

We use contact, not sure if they're up in the north island

I would look at Meridian as well but take note that they may be part privatising soon and rates could soon rocket sky high

For TV, just get yourself a freeview box for around $200 (i think in Harvey Norman), looks expensive but cheaper than paying a minimum of $49 a month with sky

Phone and Internet, watch yourself on this one. You're going to get hit with a very expensive set up bill whoever you go with. I hear telecom are the best to go for. We're with Telstra but we managed to get an account where we can call international numbers free. It's expensive but the amount of calls we make, it's well worth it for the first year. Obvisouly Skype will come more in use during the second year

RobClubley Jan 22nd 2012 8:20 am

We use Nova for leccy and gas, and Slingshot for internet.

Boopy Jan 23rd 2012 7:37 am

Welcome to Welly, I hope you're settling in ok.
We're in Papakowhai, & for the last 5 years have use Genesis for leccy & gas & Telecom for phone & internet.

Rachelb82 Jan 25th 2012 8:32 pm

I'm living in Whitby, we love it :thumbsup:
buying a house in Upperhutt though as we both work in Lower hutt

Genesis and Telecom :) though shopping around is a good idea

Kimi-Deacon Jan 25th 2012 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon (Post 9853503)
Best to shop around really but we have always used Genesis.

Welcome to the area we are in Aotea but used to live in Whitby.

Sorry meant to say Genesis and Telecom Doh. Would get sky for TV as it is really crap TV here, we still watch mostly UK TV via a computer we installed at Daughters house in UK.

Rachelb82 Jan 25th 2012 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon (Post 9865199)
Sorry meant to say Genesis and Telecom Doh. Would get sky for TV as it is really crap TV here, we still watch mostly UK TV via a computer we installed at Daughters house in UK.

oooohhhh that sounds like a good idea, is that technical? NZ TV is crap, can't stream UK TV here :-(

Kimi-Deacon Jan 25th 2012 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rachelb82 (Post 9865208)
oooohhhh that sounds like a good idea, is that technical? NZ TV is crap, can't stream UK TV here :-(

We bought a small computer with built in TV Card, then you connect that to TV Aerial at some nice persons house in the UK :) and have remote access from NZ computer and get it to record whatever you want in the UK then bring file to NZ computer, that way its not really illegal as you are not uploading.

Its probably not the best explanation as i leave all that to OH as he is the Tecchie in the house, but if you want to know more i will get him to PM you more details. Its great get to keep up with all the better things on UK TV. :thumbsup: Let me know if you want more details.