Reload this Page >

Using study visa as a way in!

Using study visa as a way in!

Old Oct 9th 2006, 8:40 pm
The Robinsons

The Robinsons 2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Using study visa as a way in!

Greetings all

I'm new to this site, but very serious about moving to NZ with wife. We are struggling to hit the 120 points mark on the skilled visa assessment but the OH has wanted to do some further education for years and we have never been able to afford it in the UK. So thinking about her studying in NZ and me riding in on the back of her student visa. Has anybody done similar? Is it easy? & was it easy to then move from student visa to residency?

Looking forward to our exploratory trip in Feb 2007.

Cheers

D
Old Oct 9th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Using study visa as a way in!

Originally Posted by The Robinsons
Greetings all

I'm new to this site, but very serious about moving to NZ with wife. We are struggling to hit the 120 points mark on the skilled visa assessment but the OH has wanted to do some further education for years and we have never been able to afford it in the UK. So thinking about her studying in NZ and me riding in on the back of her student visa. Has anybody done similar? Is it easy? & was it easy to then move from student visa to residency?

Cheers

D
Hi just to let you know I have have had my study visa okayed today.
If you complete a course which entitles you to points points on the nzqa website you obtain a open work visa, also if you enrole on a certain courses your spouse is entitled o a work visa. The only downside id you have to pay for it all . The main thing is to obtain a job offer. cheers
Old Oct 9th 2006, 9:37 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Using study visa as a way in!

Originally Posted by The Robinsons
Greetings all

Cheers

D
I had always wanted to be a midwife and the only way I could get in here (as lazy,disruptive one at the back of the class at school) was to pay for my own GCSE coursework to gain the minimum entry requirements here. Which I duly did. I was a little miffed that there was no flexibility with encouraging an "older" really keen person into such a desperately under subscribed career! I then found out that I would have to fund myself to study full time at university for 3 years - with my nearest one being 2 hours away from us. Nigh on impossible with 4 kids.

So I looked at re-training in NZ doing the same thing (about 3 years ago now) and found them all trippig obver themselves to help me. The Universities were offering bursaries, housing, childcare etc, etc. I could take a general level exam covering what the basics of the education relelvant I would need and basically would be welcomed with open arms. All a far cry from here, but certainly encouraging.

Course, it didn't happen as hubby then changed his mind and brought a pub!! Guess he figured pub/househusband? Pub/househusband and 5 minutes later went for the pub!!!

I hope you'll find whatever field you're looking at they'll be equally accommodating and encouraging.