Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

USED AS A STEPPING STONE

USED AS A STEPPING STONE

Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

stevebikebarton is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink USED AS A STEPPING STONE

Ok...........i've been thinking, after reading the responses to my last thread titled "Caught between rock and a hard place" and would like your input again. i've spoken to quite a few folks now about living/working in a different country. when the idea first popped in my head the initial thought was OZ. So i completed the on line points questionair and low and behold i was at the time a suitable candidate for emergration to OZ. However i then turned my attention to NZ after it was suggested by a friend of a friend. This guy was going to NZ to work as a copper but who had every intention to move on to OZ at alater date. So why didn't he go straight to OZ you ask?..... Well apparently he didn't score enough points to go dirrect so headed to NZ to get PR there which he said would make it easier to be accepted by the Ozzys. Fair enough............

So my question is did you lot intend to start in NZ and then move to OZ?

Or did you end up liking NZ so much you ditched the OZ plan?

Or did any of you start in OZ and then decide to move to NZ?

Yep I know to many questions................
Fanx to you all Again ......Steve
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:59 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USED AS A STEPPING STONE

I'm not even going to touch this one with a very long pole.

Steve, I can't remember, did I reply to your e-mail?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We have no intention to go to Oz.... way too many negatives there for us to want to live there... infact, OH did emigrate to Oz a few years back but went back to UK.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:36 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be alot of NZ v's OZ threads these days....

Cant people just accept that we came to NZ because we wanted to, not because we thought it was second best...

I love NZ, been to OZ a few times but always happy to come 'home'..
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:44 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Hi Steve,

The short form is that some do use New Zealand as a back-door into Aussie and some don't. To each their own, eh?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Hi Steve,

The short form is that some do use New Zealand as a back-door into Aussie and some don't. To each their own, eh?
A friend of mine is doing this. They have NZ Citizenship now and going on a reccie over to Oz later this year, shes a good friend and I will miss her if she moves.... my son loves playing with her son too.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:13 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

I think people are way too judgemental of people who go on to OZ from NZ, quick to label them as using NZ as a stepping stone.
I strongly feel that the majority went to NZ in good faith and it just didn't work for them, big deal.
I find it odd that if it dosen't work out people are less touchy about it if the poster goes back to the UK or tries anywhere else in the world (as long as its not OZ). Thats Ok, but if you go to Oz then you must have used Nz as a back door.

Don't be so mean, people are just trying to find a place to call home, to those of you who found it in NZ well done, you are very fortunate. Its a long hard road for those who don't settle, 2nd moves are not taken lightly.

Paula
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:18 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney
Don't be so mean, people are just trying to find a place to call home, to those of you who found it in NZ well done, you are very fortunate. Its a long hard road for those who don't settle, 2nd moves are not taken lightly.

Paula
I don't see anyone being mean on this thread. I think most have said that people will do what they feel is in their own best interest.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happynz
I don't see anyone being mean on this thread. I think most have said that people will do what they feel is in their own best interest.
Ditto... nothing I said was meant to be mean. Oz just isnt for us and good luck to my best friend and her family who will probably move there... I will miss her.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:39 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has an Aussie passport, so getting there would have been easier for us.
To both of us, Oz is nice for a holiday. NZ is home.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:50 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

AUSTRALIA
DO I LOOK LIKE A CRIMINAL
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ned
AUSTRALIA
DO I LOOK LIKE A CRIMINAL
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

If you gain NZ citizenship would you not still need an occupation on shortage list etc to get into OZ?

We thought of OZ but dont have occupations on shortage list. We have only visited parts of Queensland and liked it..........having said that we have a lot of friends there.

I think for us it would be to much pressure going to NZ as a stepping stone to OZ.

Having to uproot kids and start again would be hard.

Having said that if you arent happy in NZ.............why not try it?

I wonder how many have went to NZ with that intention and stayed put?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by jill1420
If you gain NZ citizenship would you not still need an occupation on shortage list etc to get into OZ?
Nope. You could pitch up with your Kiwi passport, clear immigration and off to the races you go.

There are limitations as far as access to certain benefit schemes and other government programmes, but as a Kiwi you would be pretty much free to work in almost any occupation.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Thanks happynz. I never realised that. Doh! Cheers Jill.